Masai Mara or Selous

May 24th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Myrna

Masai Mara or Selous

I will be going to Africa for the first time in August with my family on a 10-day Tanzania Safari that includes the Serengeti. I want to add a 3-day extension and can't decide between Masai Mara and Selous. Will Selous give us an experience that is different from the Serengeti? Is Masai Mara identical to the Serengeti? Can I depend on catching the migration in Masai Mara in August? Thanks.

May 25th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Sandy

We just returned a week ago from the Masai Mara in Kenya (fabulous experience, BTW) . . . our guide and all the tour books told us the Serengeti and the MS are the same, they just change names at the border.

Have a great trip!
Sandy

Jul 25th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Laura

Definitely go to the Mara....we were there in late August last year...and, seeing the wildebeest crossing the Mara River is the experience of a lifetme. Seeing that in photos or films just does not compare to sitting there watching those animals make that crossing. Each year is a little different, and the migration is weather dependent, but August is a good bet to see the migration in the Mara. The Mara is also a great place for lions...one day we counted 40 lions, and then quit counting. And, go to the western side of the Mara (less people there)...we stayed at Mara River Camp -- a really neat camp (our favorite of the trip) with a great staff ...our guide was Joshua, and he was fantastic and very patient (we really like to sit and watch animals for long times...and he seemed to enjoy that as well). Ask for him as your guide....and ask him to take you on a cheetah quest one day.

The Selous...I've read it's a beautiful area and you have the option of boat trips on the river...however, the areas surrounding the protected park are heavily hunted...therefore, the wildlife in the park is very skittish and hard to get close to.

The Mara is the Serengeti...but in August it'll seem like a whole other world...stay at least 4-5 nights. We stayed 4 nights and felt we could have stayed 2 weeks.

Jul 25th, 2001, 08:43 AM
m

We went to Tanzania in 1999. We went to both the Serengeti and Selous. There are some animals that are in one place but not the other. However, we did see enough of a variety of animals in Selous. We had three kinds of safari - riding, walking and boating and did all three. The camp we stayed at even had a resident wild elephant. If you're staying at the the Serena lodges in the Serengeti, you'll find the accommodations and the pace at the Selous camps a nice change.

Jul 25th, 2001, 10:54 PM
Karen

Serengeti was fabulous to us, Thank you to our Tour Operator who organize our safari there. What I can say stay in Serengeti rather than Mara as the scenery inSerengeti is better than mara. Also Selous isGreat as is the one of the big reserve unexploited.Advice: Book safaris with Local Operator as you will serve a lot. Contact me I will give you the address of the Local Tour Operator organize our Safaris.

Jul 27th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Dave

Jambo-

Last month we stayed in the Serengeti (Serengeti Sopa) for 3 nights, and in the Mara (Olonana) 3 nights. They were the same and yet different. I would say that both were worthwhile, but another part of Kenya may be better on one visit. They said that the migration would happen in July and August in the Mara.

Apr 1st, 2003, 06:44 AM

Karen please give me the name of the tour operator you used. Thank you.
Apr 1st, 2003, 08:35 AM

While I ordinarily would advise against visiting Serengeti and Masai Mara on the same trip -- they are, afterall, extensions of the same ecosystem -- since August is not the best month to visit the Serengeti, I would advise visiting the Mara. I have been to both in August, and while the Mara was teeming with huge herds from the migration, the Serengeti was relatively "quiet", which means lions, cheetah, leopard, elephants, buffalo, but no large herds.
Apr 1st, 2003, 01:43 PM

I can't help but put my two cents in on this. In September 2002 we went to the Mara, which is truly a spectacular place. Some of my best memories are of what we saw and experienced in the Mara. On the other hand, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Selous (Sand Rivers for three nights in October 2002). It was much warmer and humid in Selous, which makes the water activities all the more appealing. As for hunting, yes, a good portion of the reserve is set aside for hunting - HOWEVER - that takes place on the other side of the Rufiji River, opposite all the camps. We did not find the animals in Selous any more skittish than elsewhere. We saw lion cubs left alone while the rest of the pride was out hunting, a beautiful female lion - who let us get within 20 feet of her, watched as two male gazelle fought and were completely oblivious to our presence (allowing us to get within 25 or so feet of them), etc. What you can also do in Selous that you can't many places elsewhere is go on a foot safari within the reserve. With an armed park ranger, there is nothing like tracking lion spoors. Also, on the non-hunting side of the river is one of the largest rhino studies going on anywhere in Tanzania. Selous would definitely give you a different experience than the Serengeti.
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:59 PM
LizFrazier

For those of you who haven't caught on, this thread was for 2001. It was resurected for tour operator information, but I think Myrna has long gone. For what its worth.

Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:41 AM

Thanks Liz for pointing that out.

End of subject!

Search this Thread