Search

Masai Mara, Here We Come!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Masai Mara, Here We Come!

Hi Guys,

Just finished booking and, sadly, paying for our trip to Kenya this August 2011. I've planned similar trip for the past 6 or 7 years but something always comes up and had to postponed. Well this year all done, except for the actual trip of course, and would love to hear your opinion on what I've done, mostly by myself with no travel agent involved.

Date = early August 2011

Day 1 Arrive very early at NBO and meet and greet by our hotel. Spend the day relaxing and getting over the long flight. Hotel(B&B) = Giraffe Manor.
Day 2 Fly from WIlson airport to the Masai Mara. Camp = Sala's Camp.
Day 3 Sala's Camp.
Day 4 Transfer to the Mara Explorer Camp.
Day 5 Mara Explorer Camp.
Day 6 Mara Explorer Camp.
Day 7 Mara Explorer Camp.
Day 8 Fly back to Wilson and onward to NBO for our flight home.

I welcome any advice and comment and I have the following questions for you guys:

1/. Sole use of vechile will run on average around $400 per day. Is this worth it? I've checked on the occupancies at the camp in the Masai Mara and so far, for the dates we are there, it's only around 50%. What are the odds of us, my wife and I, getting the whole vechile for ourselves without having to pay the extra?

2/. Are the weight limit on the Safarilink flight strictly enforced?

3/. For our last day we fly back with Safarilink scheduled at around noon. Are these guys pretty much on time or are delays to be expected? I'm asking because we have to catch our flight out of Nairobi which depart at 18.40.

Thank you in advance!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 07:33 AM

With 50% occupancy, it's likely you'll have vehicle to yourselves; otherwise, at these small camps, rare for them to seat more than 4/paxs total.

Yes, Safarilink is strict with weight limits, often moreso than Air Kenya, but this can change from day-to-day.

If departing Mara 11am (there is no 12N flight), flight time is 1 to 1.5/hrs depending on whether there are other stops other than airstrip from where you leave. You'll have more than sufficient time to catch a 6:40pm flight... goodness, you have time for lunch, shopping, even sightseeing if you wish.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 07:56 AM

You are overdue to get there!

#1 To better answer the question, I'd like to know what the vehicle costs are without sharing. How much more is the private vehicle? Or is it an additional $400 per day for a private vehicle?

In general, a private vehicle in a <u>fly-in camp</u> (which from my experience is a higher premium than a private vehicle on a driving safari) makes sense if any of these apply to you:

-you are a serious photographer who wants zero movement in the vehicle while shooting and who would want to wait long periods of time for perfect lighting.

-you are a keen birder with a list of species you wish to see and you want to devote a lot more time to birds than the average visitor.

-you have a particular interest in certain animals and would like to devote a lot more time to those species in particular.

-you are particularly gung-ho about your time in the bush (must be first out, stay out all day, sit for hours waiting for lions to stalk, etc.), a sentiment that might not be shared by others.

-you are particularly finicky about things like early starts, must have a hot breakfast instead of a breakfast box, want to come back before it gets too hot, etc.

-having complete control of the daily plan is crucial to your enjoyment of the safari.

-the additional cost per day over what you'd pay for sharing a vehicle is about what you'd spend on a nice dinner out.

What you might want to do is wait until you arrive at the camp, check out the situation, and if needed offer to pay for your own vehicle. You might be able to negotiate a better deal at the camp. But there might not be a guide available for a private vehicle without advance notice.

You could split the difference and order a private vehicle for just your last 2 days at Mara Explorer. By then you'd know what you'd like to concentrate on.

What dictates the #s in the vehicles is not only total occupancy, but also the composition of the guests. It would be very logical that two couples would share a vehicle. If the other guests are families of 4 and 5, then they'd likely get their own vehicle and so would you. With fuel prices high, I believe camps will want to minimize total miles driven.

#2 Sometimes, but most people have no problems, which is not a good answer. To reduce your luggage weight carry binocs or cameras around your neck. Wear a safari vest loaded with your heavy stuff. That is what I do.

#3 It looks like you'd get in at 12:20 so you have 6 hours. I have been comfortable with 6 hours between landing in Nairobi from the Mara and making my interational flight. Never had a problem.

Have a marvelous time!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 11:13 AM

I'm just curious - why did you choose to do all your days in the Mara as opposed to spending a few in Meru or Samburu like many itineraries recommend? Is it becasue of the migration?

We are planning a trip for January and having trouble deciding what to do!

Thanks - and good luck with your trip.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 11:21 AM

"...all your days in the Mara"
I really shouldn't reply, but, "all those days" are only 4-5 days. I would not go to Africa for such a short time to begin with, but Hanuman must be a LOT closer than I am (USA).

regards - tom
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Sandi - yes you are correct the flight arrives at 12.15 so I guess it departs around 11.00. Thank you again for the advice re private vechile and I shall wait and see.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

atravelynn - thank you for your comments. Yes I like photography but not to the point where I sit around and wait for the light to be perfect! Very wise advice about waiting and see if we do need a private vechile. I guess we can always wait until we are there to decide. If we have another couple in the same vechile and they turn out to be "annoying" then I will pay the extra for the sole use.

My camera gear alone weigh around 10 kg plus a notebook, which I like to take around with me, so those alone will be around 12-13 kg! By carrying the camera, with the biggest lens attached, it should save a lot of weight.

Regarding the transfer, thank you for reassuring me that we will have enough time. Both Sandi and your answers make me feel so much better now as I was thinking of extending another night in Nairobi.

Can't wait to go and I just hope the animals will be there in hughe numbers!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

tahitijess - I have always wanted to see the great migration more than anything else so yes that is why I've planned it this way. I was going to add Shompole to the list but the transportation cost just to get there is too much.

For this trip, and from all the research that I've done, I picked two camps inside the Mara but far from each other. I was very lucky to get the camps as I had just begun booking last week!

I believe for January it will be different as the animals will not be there in big numbers like during the migration. So I would definitely check out the old reviews for those that traveled during that period and ask the experts here. Another great resource are the people on Tripadvisor and the reviews of the camps there.

carry999 - I am not that close to Kenya but we do have a direct flight(Kenya Airways) from Bangkok which is 9.35 hours flying time. Since I just made the booking I have a confirmed reservation on KQ but not the exact date that I want and I will have to spend another night in Kenya. I also have another confirmed reservation with Qatar Airways but that will require a change of plane in Doha, longer flying times but I will arrive and depart on the days I want. I will wait until the last minute to see if the seats on KQ opens up for the date I have planned.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 11:19 PM

Nine and half hours. Lucky you, it takes me more than twice your fight time from home, California. And also add in wait time between usually three flights. Around 32 hours from leaving my house to the first hotel in Africa

regards - tom
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 06:00 AM

While it's possible you may get hooked up with an "annoying" couple, it isn't always that you have to ask for EUV and fee associated with this. Besides, as lynn mention, the camp may not have vehicle/guide available to do so unless pre-booked. If you do have such a situation, mention it to camp management (both are small properties - Sala/6-tents; Explorer/10-tents), ask to be put together with others.

When at Sala's and being only guest, of course, had vehicle to myself; at Explorer Camp I was together with a honeymoon couple, but took front seat (my favorite) with guide, so for them it was as if they had own vehicle. On another game drive, noticed two honeymoon couples went out together and they all seemed to be having a grand time even if they didn't all speak the same language.

I just go with the flow... can sit for awhile or move on whenever. In otherwords, "I'm easy!"
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice again Sandi. I just got an email stating that I will now be flying with Air Kenya instead of Safarilink. This might be a silly question but when boarding at Wilson and if I shouldered or carry my camera with a big lens will they weigh that along with my luggage as well?
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 01:33 PM

Whether Air Kenya or Safari Link, either may want to weigh the camera and lens, why it's best to have your driver just hand over your main duffle bag to weigh and back away while he handles the check-in. Stand back and appear oblivious!
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Just one more month and we are out of here! Final itinerary:

2 nights in the brand new, opening today, Finch Hatton Suite at the Giraffe Manor.
2 nights at Sala's Camp.
4 nights at Mara Explorer.

Yeah!
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 10:07 AM

I'm curious as to why you decided to add another night to Giraffe Manor instead of another night at Sala as you originally planned..
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have a great trip. I look forward to your report (and photos!).
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Marija - I think the Giraffe Manor is something that my wife will like and 6 nights in the Masai Mara seems like a lot already! Also, my brother and his family plus 30 other people we know will be arriving in Nairobi on the 2nd day we are there for their safari. Wanted to say hello to them before we head off on ours.

Leely2 - thank you and I will report back with photos!
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 08:39 PM

Spent a night @ Giraffe Manor just a few weeks ago...you will have a fantastic time!! They were madly trying to finish up the new addition in time for the busy season altho I suspect it's always busy for them. It really is quite a unique experience.

Giles the manager is a fantastic host, the food is wonderful, the surroundings gorgeous and who doesn't want to have breakfast with a giraffe I ask you???
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

KathBC - thanks for the information. Saw some of their pictures for the Garden Manor on their Facebook page but no photo of the new suie yet. I still have the option of staying in the Karen Blixen suite in the old house so do you think it will be better at the Garden Manor?
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 09:57 AM

Those "tall blonds" can be quite appealing, even at a cost (when weren't blonds expensive?)

But you still have to watch those neck swings... a simply touch will let you know just how powerful they are.

Though for those who can't afford at stay at the Manor, you can enjoy these (my favorite) amazing animals at the Giraffe Center on the same grounds. They move around to wherever the food is, naturally!
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 06:38 PM

Hanuman, either suite will be amazing! Didn't see the interior of the new addition but am confident all rooms will be just as stunning as the original house.

Another place to see these beauties, especially if you're staying at Macushla House which is just around the corner, is driving by the centre around 6:15 or so when the giraffe cross the road into the main park for the night. The keepers have some pellets handy and while the giraffes are still behind the fence (prior to crossing the road) you can feed them and have an excellent photo opportunity.

Kennedy, my Nairobi guide, was taking my photos when he suddenly jumped and practically fell into the ditch along the road because one of the giraffe's licked the top of his head! We laughed so hard we both practically ended up in the ditch!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -