Marrakesh during Easter

Jan 26th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Marrakesh during Easter

I've just realized that we will be in Marrakesh or on our way to Essaouria on Easter Sunday. Can anyone tell me what we might expect? Is it like any other day, or is there something we need to know about?
Jan 26th, 2010, 02:19 PM
P_M

Since Marrakesh only has 1% Christian population I highly doubt it will be any different from any other day. Not too surprisingly Easter is not on the schedule of holidays for that country. You won't have to worry about any closures if that's your concern.

Enjoy your trip.
Jan 26th, 2010, 02:21 PM
P_M

Yikes, I meant to say Morocco has only 1% Christian population. But you get the idea, I'm sure. Easter will be a non-issue.
Jan 27th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks P_M...My Fodor's guidebook says that March to mid-June is a great time to visit Marrakesh, "the only exception in that period being Easter week, which brings crowds."

Perhaps chaos above and beyond the usual? I generally avoid crowds when possible, but have decided to go at that time anyway. Marrakesh sounds like a crazy-fun place even without crowds. Maybe the "carnival" will be REALLY GREAT!
Jan 28th, 2010, 07:14 AM

What "carnival"? It just means that a lot of vacationing Europeans will be in town. "Drunken revels" maybe.
Jan 28th, 2010, 02:05 PM
P_M

I see what you mean. I didn't think of crowds, I was thought you were concerned about closures. But it does make sense that a lot of people have time off during Easter, hence the travel.
Feb 2nd, 2010, 06:43 AM

I wouldn't worry about it- Marrakech is pretty crowded so far as tourists go anytime of year. I wouldn't expect that week to be any more or less crowded.