Malaria prevention

May 23rd, 2012, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Malaria prevention

My husband and I are going back to Kenya this Sept. and need advice from travelers experienced with taking malaria prevention drugs.
We both took Malarone last trip, I had no problems what so ever but my husband
experienced pretty severe nausea. Needless to say he doesn't want to feel that way this trip.
Has anyone taken doxycycline before and were there any unwanted side effects?
I will stick with Malarone, as I didn't have any problems with the drug.
Thanks,
Anna
May 23rd, 2012, 03:44 PM

We took Doxy & had no problems, and it is free in our area because it is an antibiotic.
May 23rd, 2012, 04:59 PM

Have never taken doxy but reported problems are stomach upset and sun sensitivity (burn faster); also it's recommended not to lie down up to 1 hour after taking doxy to prevent reflux. Just wondering how you and husband took Malarone. Many sources suggest taking Malarone each day with breakfast, especially one with diary products (yogurt, milk), to reduce or obviate gi symptoms.
May 23rd, 2012, 06:03 PM

My son lived in India and used doxycycline for a long period and just wore alot of sunscreen and staying out of the sun while taking it.
The Chicago Tribune traveler section just had an article about a new drug resistent malaria in parts of Kenya so please take something.
The airline that I fly for has had over 13 crew members die or come down with malaria in the past two years so take malaria seriously!
May 24th, 2012, 06:20 AM

My wife is a pharmacist for 30 years and she has us take doxy in our travels to malarial areas. Never had a problem but we are careful about sun exposure, which we are anyway.

She would never let us take Lariam (when it was around) / Malarone due to side effect risk.

She also sprays our outer layer of evening / morning wear clothes with permethrin. We happen to use Sawyer brand since it's available in outdoor shops near us. She does not spray anything that will be close to our skin, the second layer gets sprayed. This is on the theory that the best prevention is to not get bitten in the first place. It seems to work (mosquitoes seem to stay away) and we have had no known adverse reactions.
May 24th, 2012, 08:08 AM

We never had a problem with sun either, used sun screen as we would normally. We went with Doxy due to fact it was free and a DR. friend of mine said "It is the tried and true."
May 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM

I've used doxy a number of times, most recently for a 3-month stint in East Africa.

I've learned the hard way to always make sure one wears sunscreen while taking doxy. Also, don't lay down just after you take it. I got lazy my first time taking it, usually taking it after dinner and just before bed. I ended up getting horrible acid reflux, and it felt like a hole had been burned into my stomach when I ate.

During my last trip, I would occasionally take my doxy pill in the morning just before I ate breakfast, without remembering that I hadn't yet eaten. I'd usually be nauseous for about an hour afterward but always felt better after that.
May 24th, 2012, 10:06 AM

I've never used doxy, but unlike Malarone that only has to be taken 7/days after departing malaria area (or Lariam once weekly for 3/weeks), doxy has to be taken for 30/days... so that's 3/weeks of remembering not to lay down after popping this tab.
May 25th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I've been working 12 hour days lately and haven't had the time nor energy to get on the computer! I think we a settled on doxy, with meals, never on an empty stomach and before we lay down! We are avid sunscreen users so I don't think getting a sun burn will be an issue. Thanks again for your responese!

Search this Thread