Mala Mala vs Chitwa Chitwa

Aug 28th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

Mala Mala vs Chitwa Chitwa

Has anybody been to either Mala Mala or Chitwa Chitwa (or both)? We are considering staying at one for three nights in mid-October and would to hear people's experiences at them. How was the food, the accommodations, etc? Are they difficult to get to from Jo-Burg? Did you see the Big 5? How do they compare to each other?

I have heard that Mala Mala has better game viewing opportunities than almost anywhere. Is this true? I have also heard that they accommodate up to 50 people. Is that a lot? Does that impare the experience?

Anything else you can provide would be fantastic! And if you have a better alternative (comparably priced) to them, I would love to hear about it! Thanks.

Aug 28th, 2004, 01:51 AM

Type either name into the search box.
Aug 28th, 2004, 04:30 AM

Are you sure Mala Mala is available? I just inquired about dates in early December and they are fully booked.
Aug 28th, 2004, 05:00 AM

thit_cho - according to their availability calendar, they are booked 5 nights in the first week of December but none after that. The red dates are booked.
http://mala.us.resrequest.com/reserv...20:30:25++RS1+

I called them 3 or 4 times trying to get dates they had available, dates I could get ff flights, and dates I could get off work. The calendar usually matched what they told me on the phone.

Congratulations on your impending wedding!
Aug 29th, 2004, 05:35 AM

We have been to Mala Mala and find it too regimented. We have now started staying at Djuma which borders the northern part of Mala Mala and also borders Chitwa Chitwa. Haven't been to Chitwa Chitwa other than to land there (Djuma uses their landing strip if you fly in). Can highly recommend Djuma. Just got back from our second trip their. If you haven't already made your plans, a good book to read is "Africa's Top Wildlife Countries" by Mark Nolting who also runs the Africa Adventure Company.

We have used Mark to plan all six of our trips. He will work with you to personalize your trip. Highly recommend him. Have a good trip.
Aug 29th, 2004, 08:08 AM

aflmretired,

I stayed at Djuma Vuyatela last year, and while I found the accomodations to border on perfection, spotlessly clean, with a wonderful staff, unfortunately when I was there so was one of the owners...not to sound misognystic, but she was a real b**** and was partly to blame for Djuma being a negative experience.

In mid-June, the guests were setup with a "romantic dinner" on their bedroom terraces, while the owner had the dining room for her friends and family. Well, I have never had a romantic dinner outdoors in 45 degree celsius temperatures.

Combined with the fact that there were never less than eight of us on any of the game drives it was enough to make me not want to return.

Next year, I am going to the neighboring Simbambili where no children are allowed, and there is only the capacity for 12 guests.

Obviously, you had much better experiences at Djuma, and that is a good thing. But, my lone experience was enough to seek elsewhere.
Aug 30th, 2004, 07:23 AM

I returned from Chitwa Chitwa last week. I saw all of the big 5 (though male lions were elusive). I really enjoyed it. I flew into Nelspruit (Kruger International Airport) and then about a two hour drive - but I know that others who were there at the same time as me flew in on a small plane. They have an airstrip on site. I haven't been to Mala Mala, so I can only talk about Chitwa. I stayed at Safari Lodge, not Game Lodge - they have two related lodges. I'll tell you more if you want to know.

Search this Thread