mala mala, suite at main camp or sable camp

Oct 26th, 2005, 06:27 AM
g2g
Original Poster

mala mala, suite at main camp or sable camp

Would love to do rattaray's but cant justify the cost, any thoughts on these two?
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:49 AM

The major difference is that if you book Sable, you will have a separate entrance to the camp, your room will be at the southern, sable end of camp and it will be a suite. The most important difference is four to a vehicle and 12 guests at Sable. Even though you are in main camp, you will not get the feeeling of their being lots of people.

If you stay in Main Camp and it is full, then there will be about 36 guests. However they do a great job of keeping you with your own small group so everything feels quite intimate.

The MM vehicles are very comfortable for six so I would not make that a determinant factor. The big question is what kind of atmosphere do you want.

I have done both and next January will do a combo of Main Camp and Rattrays.
Oct 26th, 2005, 09:21 PM

Hi,
We were at Mala Mala Sable this September 2005 for 4 nights. We did not "book" Sable but that is where we stayed. True, separate southern entrance but I don't know the advantage to that since our room "suite" was up near the main office, no. 9 if I remember correctly. I didn't see any other rooms so I can't compare. Four to a vehicle? No, we had five every drive. A sixth would have been ok, set up with the tracker. The list price for the Sable camp is $250 more pppn. When we go back we will book main camp and if they put us in Sable that's ok.
BTW - I have about 60 pictures up from our two week safari at:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/tdgraham/safari_2005
regards - tom
ps - MM is top of my list to return to
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Tom

Five to a vehicle was probably because you were upgraded.
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:11 PM

napamatt,
I wonder about that, could be. At the time I didn't know what to expect. I wonder if the other couple was also on an upgrade. (three of us plus couple makes five). The thing I did not like about the vehicle, land rover, was that it was a diesel engine. True, the animals don't care, BUT I DO. Diesels are very noisy. I did not ask why they used diesels but I'm guessing it is because they can use the same fuel as they use in their electrical power generation. And don't tell me it is for "gas mileage". If I'm paying $500 per day they can afford another gallon a day. On the other hand probably not, MM was the only camp that charged us for bottled water or Cokes.
regards - tom

Search this Thread