Mailing time to Africa from the U.S.?

Dec 10th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Mailing time to Africa from the U.S.?

How long would it take a package (say under 1 lb.) to get to J'burg from the west coast of the US? And anyone know roughly the cost? I'm wondering if I am too late to send a Christmas present.
Dec 10th, 2003, 01:36 PM
sandi

Your post office would be able to tell you the cost, depending on whether regular mail (which does go by air) or Priority. And with JNB being a hub city, one would assume it would get there sooner than if you were sending it to a remote town, village, or safari lodge.

Why not contact FEDEX and see what infomation that can provide. Though, no doubt it will cost more tha the post office, at least with them, you can track your package, even if small, and get a confirmation it has been delivered.

Dec 10th, 2003, 03:49 PM

Personally I find the mail to and from SA most unreliable. Last year I sent a postcard and it took 3 months with the correct postage for airmail. I would probably go Fedex or DLS or similar.
Dec 10th, 2003, 04:37 PM

I was told it takes months for a package to be delivered - if it makes it at all. Then I believe the recipient has to pay the VAT tax.

I don't know what you plan on sending but you might consider buying it online in South Africa and paying the VAT and delivery fees and it would be delivered much quicker.

If that's not possible, then Fedex or Airborne would be an alternative since it is so light.
Dec 10th, 2003, 06:24 PM

I regularly send packages and/or large boxes to Kenya and Tanzania. The average is two weeks for arrival. Even if you use your local post office, you can still track the delivery and get delivery confirmation, for a small fee, of course. FEDEX charges not by weight, but rather by box dimensions or size. So for me, FEDEX is more expensive because of the size of boxes I send. But I have been mailing things to Kenya and Tanzania for over a year without any problems.
Dec 13th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi SusanLynne, it's good to hear 2 weeks. Although I'm wondering from what Sue and Sundowner said if SA (the package needs to go to J'burg) is less reliable than Kenya...? Sundowner, I need to get a gift for someone and another person suggested something that they could not get in SA would be most appreciated - for this person, we figured some biking wear would be very good. Of course there is the problem that it's summer there and I mostly am seeing winter wear but I may be able to find something.

Search this Thread