Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mahale chimp permits--Will a limit of 1 per visit be imposed?

Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought such a limit was discussed in the past. Two safari company websites I visited mentioned that "next season" they are expecting the limits. But I couldn't decipher what next season meant.

The Mahale home page did not mention a limit of one visit per guest.
http://www.mahalepark.org/information.html
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 06:54 AM

Recall hearing this also, but like you, not sure what "next season" means.

However, considering the economy where many properties are retaining current pricing, or only small increases... this limit of 1/visit only, might be postponed.

I guess only with direct contact to a tour operator or ground outfitter will you know for sure, if and when.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 03:37 PM

This would make trips to Mahale a bit boring given you have to stay a number of days because of the scheduled flights. 1 permit, what if you don't see them? There is only so much floating about on the Lake that I could do without going stir crazy.
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

I'm thinking any limitations might be postponed too.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 01:37 PM

atravelyn
Maybe you contact NOMAD directly.
Staying with them won't limit your experience.

SV
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

But it could limit my bank account.

Thanks for the suggestion, SV. I think I saw some good deals such as pay for 3 stay for 4 nights.

Not sure if those would apply to when I'd be able to visit.

I'd like to do a Flycatchers trip.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 06:04 AM

atravelynn:
This was in the pipeline and was mentioned last year... but so far this has not happend,& should this go into place, it will def be listed on the mahalepark.org website, so if not on there it means its not happening just yet!
and once this does come into place, I think it will be safe to say that it will probably be 1 permit per day and not per stay - whatever the case will be, the same will count for Flycathcers, Kungwe & Nomad - there will definitely not be 1 camp that will be allowed to give out more permits than others - rest assured!
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

If the limit WOULD be 1 permit per day, does that mean you can NOW go twice a day to see the chimps? How does that work? Thanks for any insights.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 10:16 AM

Currently, I believe you are limited to one 1-hour visit with the chimps per day. http://chimpanzee.mbalimbali.com/ChimpViewing.aspx. Of course, that doesn't count the unplanned encounters you have going to and from the place where you're supposed to have your hour visit (or when they show up in your camp! ) The chimps don't stay in one group, but split up into smaller ones, so they are scattered throughout the forest. There's a good possibility that you'll see them more than just during the one-hour visit. The photo of some of our group walking past the chimps on the trail is an example of that. This happened after our official hour with the chimps.

The chimps are usually located in certain areas at specific times of the year. You can check with the camps as to the best months to visit. We were told August and September were good because they are lower down on the slopes to get to fruits that are ripe that time of year. You should be able to get in a viewing, but you may have to trek for hours before you reach them. They can cover a lot of ground fast!
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

I thought it was one hour per day. Thanks Shaytay.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 12:03 PM

A company I contacted also mentioned the possiblity of limiting chimp visits. If it was only one visit per stay, I'm sure a lot of people, myself included, would look at going elsewhere.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 05:37 PM

I was there at Mahale in October, and we were there 3 nights and had 2 days of hiking with the chimps. If I had to do it over again I would have stayed another night and gone for 3 hikes. If I only had 1 attempt after going all that way and with the significant cost, there is no way that I would have done it. It is obvious that the park is trying to manage a population of chimpanzees that is finite with demand to view them that is only increasing. That is a tough one and I wish I had an answer to contribute.

Maybe a good long-term approach could be locating another troop with researchers and try to start habituating them to our presence. Just a thought.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 07:05 PM

The permit is yes, because of the amount of tourists that are increasing in Mahale and because the park,like andybiggs said, is trying to manage a population of chimps.
They are looking into the advantages/disadvantages and effect of the chimps and their behaviour due to the amount of time they are being watched (especially in high season!)
Therefore this limits was talked about, but so far, this has not come into place and the Park as well as the researchers are very well aware of the advantages (for the chimps) and disadvantages for the park's tourist it would have to bring this permit into place. That is why it has not happend.. yet.

If, and once the Park does decide to bring in this permit I am very sure that all lodges,agents etc. would be notified well in advance as some bookings are made & paid for a year before.
There is roughly about 800-1000 chimps in Mahale of which only 60 is habituated (the famous M group which everyone visits) there is however also a second group, called the K group, (this group has a territory closer to the airstrip - Past the flycathcer camp) for those who have visited te park.

There was a bit of research done on this group which was stopped (this was a long long time ago) as most of this group was taken over by the now 'M' group.
Some of these members are still being spotted now and then especially on the boat rides to the airstrip.
There is also new groups of chimpanzee's found further South which is not in the Park, but local communities have offered some of their land in order to protect them.
Therefore there is hopes for further research, but this is all talk and will take quite a few years to happen as funds are also needed for this, so far nothing has been confirmed to anyone. And this would include the issuing of permits!

It is difficuilt to say what will happen in the future but for 2010 there is no talk of permits, it will still be 1hour visits per day for each client visiting the park.

It would be best to contact TANAPA directly for questions as they are the only ones who would be able to give the correct information.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

"I was there at Mahale in October, and we were there 3 nights and had 2 days of hiking with the chimps. If I had to do it over again I would have stayed another night and gone for 3 hikes."

#1 I'd like to learn more about your Mahale in Oct experience, plus if you visited other S. Tanz parks in Oct and how that went.

#2 My Number One goal for a 2011 S. Tanz trip (if TANAPA permits) is 3 chimps visits at Mahale. Whatever else has to be curtailed or reworked to enable that, so be it. Interesting that you agree.

Thanks for the permit updates and some more interesting pieces of info. and Travelkbl.