Search

Luxor and Cairo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luxor and Cairo

I am going in early nov.with my kids to Luxor for 3 full days and to Cairo for 1 full day.
In Luxor,we'll stay at Movenpick Jolie VILLE.Some questions about visits.In Luxor1:1)how much time does it take and what are the best moments of the day to visit Valleys of Kings and Queens2)Temple of Luxor3)Temple of Karnak.?Is it useful to have a personal guide for those visits?I am confused because I understand the best moment for visits is early in the morning(6 to 7 am)but at that time(according to guidebooks) places are closed.Same for evenings.
In Cairo ,we stay only one day arriving from Luxor early am and leaving for SharmelCheik in the evening.Do you think it is possiblre to visit pyramids in the morning and Cairo museum in the afternoon on same day?Thanks
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 02:10 AM

If I was you I would add at least 1 more day to Cairo.You don't need 3 days in Luxor especially if it only allows 1 in Cairo.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 04:13 AM
sandi

Early morning is best for the Valley of Kings & Queens, and they are open early. When you get to your hotel reverify opening time, but I know it is sometime around 6am. Yes, before it gets hot. You'll find that by 9am the temps are close to 100 - though you don't mention time of year you will be traveling.

As to the Temples at Luxor (smaller than) or Karnak (the big one) - these are done in late afternoon around 4pm to avoid the heat of the day. The temples do close by dark to prepare for the Light & Sound Show at Karnak temple which I believe the first show is at 8pm.

You can probably arrange with your hotel for a guide/driver to get from the Hotel to the VofK&Q - it shouldn't be too expensive. And the same for the afternoon tours. Of course, you could do the tours on your own, but it's better to have a guide who knows which tombs are open and provide the history and background instead of having your face in a guidebook while trying to view the amazing insides of these tombs; likewise for Luxor and Karnak temples.

We stayed at the Movenpick when we visited and liked very much the idea that it wasn't directly in Luxor but on Crocodile Island nearby - the hotel has a shuttle bus to take you into Luxor proper when you wish. It's a great property, the low cottage-type large rooms and a great swimming pool and good restaurants.

I would also say that you only need 2-days in Luxor, and 2-days in Cairo will allow you to enjoy more than just the Pyramids, Giza and the Museum without rushing. You'll also have time to get to the bazaar and some of the Coptic and Old Egypt sights. Enjoy your visit.

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 06:24 AM

When I reread your post it seems that you are not staying overnight in Cairo - arriving AM and leaving same day PM - not even a full day.

Tough to do Pyramids and Museum in that time frame - Pyramids are in Giza, which is 20 minutes or so from downtown Cairo.

If you really have no option to stay at least one night in Cairo, then race to Pyramids as soon as you arrive. Then spend rest of day at Museum - but that won't really do justice to either.

Kids especially need time and photos at Pyramids since these are the images of Egypt they likely imagine. My kids (11 and 15 at the time) could not get enough photos of Pyramids and to actually be able to go inside was a really memorable part of their trip.

Valley of Kings/Queens at 7:30 AM (April) was the hottest place I have ever been in my life.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 06:20 AM

For Luxor, we visited Luxor Temple around 5pm and snapped photos before it got too dark and then walked around to see everything closely. We were there in September so I am not sure if it gets darker earlier now etc. but it sure beat walking around in the sun. We went to Karnak around 10 am and it was already pretty hot and could not handle walking all over without stopping in the shade etc. We set off for the Valley of Kings quite early but still found at 9.30 am to be very very hot. Especially inside the tombs, it is very humid and hot and I saw people coming out of the tombs drenched in sweat. Definetly need to bring a small towel or something to wipe away the sweat but again I was there in mid-September.

I second the views of others that you should stay overnight in Cairo. I do think however that you could do both in one day depending on when you arrive and when you need to leave, but remember that the airport is quite far from both the pyramids and the museum and due to the traffic, you will need to leave for the airport minimum three hours before your departure time. You obviously cannot skimp on time at the pyramids and it does take a while to get from one pyramid to the other, snap the photos, line up to get inside whichever pyramid is open, etc. The museum is vast and interesting but may be tiring for your kids to cram so much in one day.
Enjoy your trip, I did !
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 05:06 AM
rfb

Patfox

If it's not too late you really need to adjust your time schedule to add several days to the visit.

A part day in Cairo is almost a waste of time and three days in Luxor is a minimum to have a pleasant stay. There are many things to do beyond the valley of kings and Karnak.

If you have an interest in seeing anything other than the pyramids, Cairo requires a MINIMUM of three days.

I can promise you, if you extend your stay, you will be thankful you did and discover that you wish you had stayed longer.

Old Oct 25th, 2004, 08:27 PM

I am just back, and the one problem you will have is the the Egypt Museum closes at 2:45pm during Ramadam. This may still be the case while you are there.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

thank you for all your advices.I can hardly change the program,but we'll have plenty of time for the day in Cairo, as we will arrive at 7:30 am and leave at 22 pm.S0 ,besides Gizeh pyramids and Sphynx ,what are the"must see "in Cairo for a plenty halfday afternoon?Thank you
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 03:32 PM
rfb

The other must sees are the Egyptian Museum and the Khan el Kalili bazaar.