Search

Luggage SIZE question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luggage SIZE question

I've done a search on the board re bag size, but I can't seem to find much info. There's a lot of info about luggage weight restrictions, and that the luggage needs to be soft-sided, but not any definitive answers as to the SIZE of your bag for the intra-Tanzania flights on the small planes. I'm not talking about carry-on size, just for checked luggage, but it obviously needs to fit through the opening to the luggage compartment on the small planes. Can anyone provide any specific limits as to the size the bag has to squish into? We leave in 10 days and only yesterday did I see the rather large, but pliable, bag that one of us is planning on taking, so we need some help pretty quickly. Thanks for any help, I have found the Fodorites to be the most responsive search engine anywhere on the internet.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:43 AM
sandi

My soft-sided duffle (no wheels, no hard back, no pull-up handles)... soft, soft, is 30"L w/ "U" opening; there's never been a question, as long as the weight was correct.

Hope that helps.

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:54 AM

On all our intra-africa zanair flight segments(7) overflow bags were placed in the last seat of the passenger cabin (every time). They do start by loading the bags in the nose of the plane however. I even saw some roll alongs on the zanzibar-dar segment - one went into the nose!

We flew only with carry on from the US (we're efficient packers) so would i be ignorant to assume if you can meet the weight restriction, don't worry?

We flew Cessna 404s and a LET 410.

Melissa
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 09:49 AM

Our duffles are 15" x 15" x 30" (what I'd consider pretty large) and they were fine.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:52 PM
sandi

mine too, Patty, about those measurements... just perfect for my 33/lbs of stuff, with room to spare for "goodies."

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:15 PM

Can any of you comment on whether the 33 lb rule is strict when flying between countries in Africa? If so, can you bring a backpack to bring "extra goodies" in? Otherwise--how does anyone bring anything back? Packing 33 lbs for a safari is hard enough!

FYI--North Face has very nice waterproof duffles that are apparently great with all of the dust, because you can wipe them off...and they come in all sizes (I think the large is perfect, b/c if too large, you can just compress it down)
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 08:17 PM

"Can any of you comment on whether the 33 lb rule is strict when flying between countries in Africa?"- summertime

Is there such a rule for international flights in Africa? My experience probably goes back too far to be useful, but I took far too much (probably 50lb.) on my first couple of safaris before I learned how to travel light. I had no problems travelling with a big suitcase within Zimbabwe (it was stored in Vic Falls while I went on safari to Botswana); I had a similar suitcase on safari #2 because I was going on to London afterwards. I flew from Harare to Nairobi with that luggage. In recent years, I've never travelled to Africa with check-in baggage exceeding 12 kg (about 30 lb), so I've not had to think about weight limits except for carry-on.

John
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:39 AM
sandi

On the Precision/Air Kenya flights between Kenya/Tanzania, believe the limit is 40/lbs. But if you have other flights withing either of these countries, what to do with the excess?

You'd be surprised just how easy it is to keep to the 15Kg/33-lbs, so why even think to add another 7-lbs of stuff.

However, since your bags are weighed on your first in-country flight (those with 33-lbs limits), any "goodies" you purchase if it's not too much in excess, will be accepted. You've just added funds to the GNP of either country. That's where the extra 7-lbs comes in.

But, if you're one of those who has selected a 5ft giraffe, you can't very well hide that heavy item.

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 07:57 AM

I will reply as to my experiences which include southern and East Africa. Flying from Nairobi to Mara Explorer was not an issue as we left our heavier luggage with a local agent in Nairobi to pick up for our flight to Kilimanjaro. I was advised as to the weight restriction to Kili at the last minute as I thought this would be a regular international flight. Did not want to leave my sleeping bag, parka etc. and was very worried but alas I was able to pay for the overweight at a fairly reasonable rate but more important I could take everything. It was not a small plane, more like a 50 seater so weight really wasn't an issue. Flying to camps in Namibia however was a major issue. Unlike Botswana where the 12kg rule is not strickly enforced it is in Namibia. Part of the reason is that the planes have smaller engines even thought they appear to be the same size. There is also a very, very small luggage hold. Our pilot refused to fly us and I am glad he took no chances. While it was a major inconvenience to get another plane for 3 legs in Namibia if weight is an issue make sure to get a bigger (2 engine, 6-8 seater) plane. The same single enginge planes in Botswana apparently have much more power and despite appearing to be the same size are able to fly with a bit more weight. We always wonder why a family of 5 whose weights are between 125-165 lbs. should have the same luggage restriction as ones who weight say 175-200 but apparently there are aerodynamic reasons. In summary, it is important to know in advance whether the weight restrictions are strictly enforced or whether one can pay for excess baggage. I know this has only a little to do with bag size but bigger bags carry more stuff (at least mine do)
Eric
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Hi,

I felt compelled to respond to your post, since i was very anxious about the same question and could not find a good answer. for the flights around the game parks, i used an EMS duffel, they come in 3 sizes and I took the middle size, which looks and feels like a large gym bag. the trick is layers and you really need VERY little since laundry is done every night. I always overpack, ask my husband!

We were on a long trip including jbg and cptown both of which are very casual, but wanted some non-safari clothes. packed my "gym bag" in large rolling duffel, and left the large duffel behind in jbg when we flew on the little planes.

bonnie