Search

Lower Zambezi NP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower Zambezi NP

Hello All

I know this may sound like a strange question but......are there any giraffes in Lower Zambezi National Park?

Despite many trip reports and photos, I can't recall anyone mentioning a giraffe.

Also, am I correct in assuming that there are wild dogs and cheetahs in Lower Zambezi National Park, but they are very hard to spot?

I don't know why, but the giraffe question is bugging me.....

Thanks

Africa
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 01:30 AM
santharamhari

There probably are giraffes, but, cheetahs they tried re-introducing them into the Zambezi NP, however, i doubt if it was successful. You wont see them in lower zambezi. The only places you will find them in either zambia or zim are in Kafue and Hwange NP. Wild dogs are proabably hit or miss........

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 01:37 AM

Africa,

Oddly enough, there are no giraffes in Lower Zambezi National Park.

Wild dogs are definitely present in Lower Zambezi, although hard to spot. Cheetahs are even less frequently spotted than wild dogs.

I would not let any of the above dissuade you from visiting the Lower Zambezi as it is a fantastic park.

The lack of giraffes is more than made up for with the abundance of elephants, the diversity of wildlife, the very strong birding and the availability of different activities.

Here is a mammal list for the Lower Zambezi:

http://www.chiawa.com/pages/mammalchecklist.htm

I have twice been to the Lower Zambezi and will likely make my third visit this October. This is my favorite park to see elephants, buffalo, hippo, waterbuck and birds, as they are often right in (or above) the Zambezi River and are often sighted close up while in a canoe or motorized boat. Also, Tiger Fishing is really so much fun, even for people such as myself who do not fish, otherwise. Where else can a person fish while watching elephants and buffalo in the water, while also having 15 foot Nile crocs all around?
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 01:47 AM

Hari,

I have my doubts on whether there are cheetah in the Lower Zambezi, but I do see them mentioned on the mammal list for Chiawa. There are, however, definitely no giraffes in the Lower Zambezi.

Cheetahs (as well as wild dogs) are also found in a little known Zambian park in Western Zambia named Sioma Ngwezi National Park:

http://www.mutemwa.com/package_Sioma.htm

Mutemwa is one of the lodges that I will likely visit this October, although I will not visit Sioma Ngwezi but rather their main camp, Mutemwa, and their newest camp, Maziba Bay, located 5 kms. away from Ngonye Falls:

http://www.mutemwa.com/maziba.htm
http://www.mutemwa.com/mutemwa.htm

Both of these camps are located right on the Zambezi River. For me, the Zambezi River may be tops for me in Africa. As a result, despite the lack of predators at Mutemwa's camps, I am still expecting a fantastic experience for birding, fishing, canoeing, river cruises and visiting Ngonye Falls.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi Rocco and Hari

Thanks for your input, especially the giraffe question. I wonder why there's no giraffe????

Rocco, don't worry nothing will dissuade me.......I'm going there next month, with your help.....it's me Gaurang!!!

I'm really looking forward to the remote settings of Chiawa and Sausage Tree, on the banks of the Zambezi.

I did see Chiawa's mammal list but I thought that the ommission of giraffe might have been a typographical error.

Imagine seeing a giraffe there.....would all of the vehicles leave their predator sightings to rush to a most rare LZNP sighting????

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

I was reading a report on Sausage Tree Camp on the web, that was written in 2003. The writer did say that they rushed to a cheetah sighting on the banks of the Zambezi, during a fishing trip. It was the guides first sighting of a cheetah at LZ in 7 years!!!!!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:09 AM

Africa,

Haha...here I am talking to my own (undercover) client and not even realizing it!

I wish I had a better explanation on the giraffes absence from the Lower Zambezi, but it is a mystery to me, as well.

Thirty days to go? You must be getting very excited about now! Sausage Tree Camp and Chiawa...I have honestly been so jealous with the bookings to Lower Zambezi I have made recently that I am completely redesigning my next educational to include both the Lower Zambezi and the UPPER Zambezi (www.mutemwa.com), as well as a visit to North Luangwa and Shiwa N'Gandu (http://www.shiwangandu.com/).

If it is still offered, I intend to canoe from Old Mondoro to Sausage Tree Camp to Chiawa.

Good luck with the giraffe question!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:21 AM

Just an interesting bit of trivia to add...Tiger Fish are only found in rivers that flow from east to west.

Also, while I, for one, would assume that Upper Zambezi would be NORTH of Lower Zambezi, because the river does not flow North/South, the Upper Zambezi is actually WEST of the Lower Zambezi, and 250 kms. (155 miles) upriver from Livingstone/Victoria Falls.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:59 AM
santharamhari

Rocco,

My bad......i thought giraffes were present. Anyways, i'm pretty certain there arent any cheetahs. I read an article in Africa geographic couple months back saying that they did try to re-introduce cheetahs and were unsuccessful. Kafue is certainly a good bet. Also, Hwange if anyone cares to venture to Zim.

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 05:40 AM

There are giraffe in South Luangwa National Park...
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Yes, not long to go now and I am really looking forward to it. After 6 safaris in East Africa and 1 in South Africa, I am planning to visit some of the more remote areas.

Lower Zambezi next month, Botswana in November and then Luangwa Valley + Kafue in 2007.

Next month, I will be spending 8 nights in LZNP - my only safari stop (at 2 different camps). It's more of a relaxing photographic birthday treat for my wife and it was organised at very short notice. Also not much travelling involved. (It's also an olive branch, as I went to Tanzania without her in February 2006 )

The main safari will be 3 weeks in Botswana during November 2006 and I will be taking my wife with me.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 06:53 AM

Similarly, there are no giraffes in Ngorongoro Crater, the reason being their inability to ascend the crater wall. They are the most notable absence in the Crater.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi thit cho

I have never thought about giraffes in the crater....interesting. I wonder how many people notice?

But what is the answer to the LZNP mystery? I may have to do some research whilst I am out there. Can they migrate from the Luangwa Valley to LZNP? It may be the terrain.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 07:54 AM

Africa - when will you be at Chiawa? A few of us are heading there, too! I arrive May 27!
Sharon
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sharon

I will be at Chiawa from 18th to 22nd May (5 nights in their posh tent). Then I will be at Sausage Tree from 23rd to 25th May (3 nights in their posh tent). So we will miss each other, but I will find & train the dogs and teach them to "sit". So they'll be there when you get there.

Gaurang
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:25 AM

Too bad we'll miss you. Yes, please make sure the dogs are well trained for our arrival. Have a great trip!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 01:27 PM

Africa

No, it is not likely that a giraffe would be able to migrate to the LZNP. Too many obstacles. Also, it is very unusal to see a single giraffe near NLNP. It seems that only on rare occasions a lost soul will cross the Mupamadzi River into the GMA between the two parks.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 01:31 PM

Speaking of giraffes, who can name the type of giraffe only found in the Luangwa Valley and what makes him different from his cousins?
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 02:07 PM

I believe that's the Thornycroft giraffe. It looks like it's wearing pale stockings, as it has no markings below the knee. Phil Berry at Kuyenda Camp is considered THE expert on the Thornycroft giraffe.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 05:42 PM

I went back to my pictures and yup! no markings below the knees, i didn't even notice that when i saw them in person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -