Long-haul flight advice

Dec 14th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Long-haul flight advice

I will be traveling to Dubai next month on business. It's a short trip, I leave the US on Friday, return to the US on the following Thursday.

Although I go to Europe fairly often, this is my first trip to the Middle East. My question is - what suggestions do you have regarding sleeping during the flight?

When I fly from the US to Europe, I sleep as much as possible on the way over. Upon arrival, I try my hardest not to sleep until bedtime at the destination. When I fly from Europe to the US, I mostly stay awake on the flight, and upon arrival I stay active until evening.

But this is a different trip entirely. I fly Houston-Paris-Dubai. It will be the wee hours of the morning by the time I get to my hotel in Dubai. Should I try to sleep on the plane? Stay awake? Any suggestions from those who have experience with this type of trip will be most welcome.
Dec 15th, 2004, 11:39 AM
sandi

I'd try to sleep on the longest leg - Houston/Paris, especially if it is a night flight. Don't know how long your layover is connecting to the flight to Dubai but this is a much shorter flight. So I'd stay up on this second flight; by the time you reach your hotel your pillow will look real inviting. Lots of luck!

Dec 15th, 2004, 11:59 AM

I agree with Sandi. I might add...use earplugs and drop a sleeping pill, night time tylenol, or even a valium. When I take those long flights I do everything possible to get as much sleep as possible.
Dec 15th, 2004, 12:19 PM

If you don't usually take sleeping pills (prescription or over-the-counter), don't experiment on your long-haul flight, especially when you have to make a flight connection after you have taken the pill. Try the stuff you plan to take in the safety of your own home and, if possible, take at the time of day in Houston that you would be taking them on the plane (e.g. if your flight leaves at 6 pm and that's when you would pop the pill, experiment with taking the pill around 6 pm). This way, you'll know how your body responds to the drug - does it work well, does it leave you too groggy or nauseated, is it strong enough?

I use melatonin and find that 2 pills are enough to make me sleep without leaving me with any groggy feeling in the middle of the night if I have to change planes.
Dec 15th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I have taken melatonin before, with no problems.
So, I'll take a couple of pills after boarding the plane in Houston and sleep as much as I can. Then, I'll try to stay awake on the 2nd flight.

The worst part is the 4.5 hour layover at CDG. Long enough to be really dull, but not long enough to risk taking the train into Paris. So close and yet so far.....
Dec 15th, 2004, 06:23 PM

When one is on a long haul flight, taking a shower in the airport at which one changes planes makes a huge difference to one's sense of well being. Shower facilities have been readily available when I've flown business class, but some airports, like Heathrow, have shower facilities even for passengers who are flying coach (the latter service is available for a very modest fee). I've been to CDG, but have not used it for changing planes on a long haul flight, so have never taken note of the shower facilities, if any. But there are hotels in the airport complex too.
Dec 17th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Lin

Don't forget the neck pillow. The best ones completely circle your neck so whichever way your head drops, you will have support. I have also used a gel seat that can be blown up on the plane. I think it's easier to sleep in a window seat so you have a little space to throw your pillow and blanket, and you're not always being bumped by people and carts going down the aisle.

Search this Thread