Search

Londolozi Photos

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Londolozi Photos

Hi,

Here area few snaps from my recent visit to Londolozi (27th Sept - 1st October).

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...9_857604813108

WARNING! THere are some VERY thin lions (Ximovenyane Pride) in a handful of the shots whci some of you may find a bit distressing. However, the photos don't really convey the dreadful condition of the lioness and the youngsters.

Cheers,
Gary.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:29 PM

Lot of nice shots Gary. You got the big five PLUS cheetah and leopard cub. Dang it, I have yet to see a leopard cub.
What's going on with the lions? Nothing around to eat?
regards - tom
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 05:35 AM

Wow Gary - Lots of great shots here. What is the story behind the lions?
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 06:01 AM
santharamhari

Gary,

Glad you had fantastic sightings at Londolozi.....cheetah in the SSGR is a good find......Male cheetah? you had a couple ofnice ones in there.

Both male and female leopards in every possible age group....

There was a healthy lion pride and a pride that didnt hv as good luck....recall the name of the prides?

Nice pics of the oxpecker on buffalo....

Thanks
Hari

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Gary

Great shots, sad about the Lion's, but you never know they have a habit of bouncing back, though one Lioness looked to have a really nasty injury on her tail, possibly from a Hyena.

The Leopard with cub looks like the female called Kikilezi over at MM, her territory covers both Londo and MM I believe. We really need Kaye N. to ID the Leopard for us.

You also saw the Elephant with the deformed legs, it is amazing how the family take care of that one. He pops up on MM every so often and really does very well.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 08:19 AM

Really enjoyed all your photos Gary! Love those little cubbies....especially the leopard.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Great pictures Gary. Brings back memories of my visit to Londo.
I thought that the leopard cubs belonged to the Mishabene female.
We had so wanted to see lion cubs but everytime we went by we missed them.

Miriam
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

The Ximovenyane Pride (the thin ones) now only consist of one lioness and seven 18 month old youngsters - plus a male who is sometimes with them. There were 3 lionesses but one I believe was killed. Once this lioness disappeared the pride started to struggle to kill. This was exacerbated when another lioness disappeared, leaving only one. She in turn was badly injured by hyenas about two weeks before these photos. According to Alfred (my guide) this was about the last time they fed as she had been unable to hunt.

Bennett (the tracker) thought that if the pride could get a couple of kills or scavenge for the next month then they would eventaully prosper as the youngsters would start to be in a position to keep hyenas off any kill as well as assist in taking down prey. Obviously in their present condition they wouldn't be able to do this - so the last few weeks would have been vital for these lions.

The pride on the wildebeeste kill etc are the remaining 4 Sparta females and the two Shaws males - one pair had started mating when we were there but we didn't catch them in the act...hopefully cubs will be result and the pride will set the heart of it's territory in Londolozi.

The final lion pride in photos (at the end with cubs) are the Tsala pride ( 1 x Male, 2 x lionesses, 5 x cubs). They had been out of reach down by the river on a buffalo kill (confirmed by trackers on foot) for my previous nine game drives but decided to emerge for my final one. There were three two month old cubs and two of about four months.

The female leopard with the cubs (who is the first leopard as well) is the Mxabene female. The two male cubs are about six months old. Alfred rates their chances at 50/50 but getting better the longer they survive.

The good looking ten month old male cub is the son of the Sunset River Bend female. Unfortunatley she only paid him a visit for one afternoon while I was there and we just missed seeing her before she set off to hunt.

The larger male leopard is the Short Tail Young Male i.e. the offspring of the Short Tail Female. He doesn't have his own name yet.

Other leopards - there is a poor shot of the 3:4 female in there (lying in grass)...I included it for posterity as it's unlikely she'll still be around next time I visit.

The leopard photo taken (poorly!) under flash is the Vomba female...she also had two cubs but although I saw them it was very dark and I wasn't ablt to get a photo.

The cheetah is a male who comes from Singita and passes through Londolozi on his way through to Mala Mala...and repeats his appearance on the way back.

Overall, the trip was fantastic. Ten game drives with leopards on every single one - nine different leopards in total. Lions were seen on seven of the drives - 22 individual lions.

This was my first visit to SSGR and I can fully understand why people rave about the quality of the sightings. For me it was just a short break (direct flight from London, 5 nights in Londolozi and then flight back home) and one I'm sure I'll be doing again next year in addition to a Botswana trip.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 04:11 PM

Gary, Renias told us the Mishabena female had a male and female cub.
Here are some of our Londo pictures taken in late August.

http://community.webshots.com/album/554178556atOFZV

Miriam
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Hi Gary,

Will have to look at the photos later, as am about to leave the office. But a few things have caught my attention that have me a bit puzzled. I am really stunned at the different information we are given at Londolozi. I was there Dec 2005 and there in July 2006, rarely heard the same information twice. I keep quite detailed records of cats, as I like a history, and I hate misinformation, if you do not know, then tell me that, do not guess! I also saw the Ximovenyane pride, with 2 lionesses and 7 big cubs, in July they told me that they were between 17 - 19 months old. The third lioness at that time was missing believed dead. They are also accompanied by the Castleton Male who I had seen in recent years at Singita. Seven large cubs bordering on subadults, especially with more than half being males, would be an enormous effort to supply with food plus you would get the adult male trying to get his share first. But one really good feast can turn that around. I also saw the tail-less lioness from the Tsalala Pride in January 2006, with 4 cubs I would not photograph as they looked pitiful, the Mum looked ok, even with the wound, but there now look great, 2 cubs survived and I thought that event unlikely, so you never do know! The two younger lionesses of the Tsalala Pride had one set of cubs in July, which were 4.5 months old x 3 cubs with the second lionesses due in the very near future, so apparently one of the older cubs has died.

The Mxabene Female, I was told in july had a male and female cub, who were about 3 months old. Nearly every occasion I saw them, they were treed by hyena and the Mxabene Female had gone days without food, then had a kill nearly eveyday for 3 or 4 days, and they all looked fabulous again.

The Short Tail (Young) Male I think is the leopard's name, he is MalaMala Bicycle Crossing Male and has been around at MalaMala since December 2004, and longer at Londolozi as be was born there. They seemed to have dropped the Young, but that does seem to be all he is referred by.

In my opinion, the information from Londolozi is not consistent, and I have had this discussion with them many times, even one of their best trackers was mistaken in identifying a leopard and I really do like my information to be correct, and I know that it doesn't concern a lot of people, but it concerns me.

From my experience, my last trip included Botswana as well as Sabi Sands, and I am pleased I did the SS last, as I found Botswana gameviewing disappointing.

Really pleased to note that someone else keeps some sort of notes on animals they have seen, regarding pride names etc. They did not do that in Botswana or in Zimbabwe, which I found annoying.

Sidenote for Matt,

Have you seen the cyberdiary lately with the wild dog sighting at MM. Makes me sick. I have to wait until December before I return. But next year will be good, as I have planned a trip in March/April 2007 and then back again in December 2007 - and back to my long stays so I am one happy customer.

Kind regards,

Kaye
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 08:22 PM
santharamhari

Kaye/Napamatt: Is there a reason that different camps use different terminology/names for the same animals? That seems to me, to be part of the confusion.......if all the different camps, co-ordinate via their head rangers to use common names etc etc., may be helpful and help in maintaining a proper data-base of the history of the animals.....especially, since they traverse the various regions of the SSGR.....

Hari

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 04:54 AM

Hi Hari,

The way I understand it, MalaMala does not name any animal unless it is territorial, which means they can see a animal for months, maybe a lot longer and when it is considered territorial, then it is named after a known point, that is central in what is considered to be its territory.

Londolozi seems to use many ways to name its cats, leopards seem to be by area, but also by spot pattern, as in the 3:4 Female.

It is difficult, but with enough questions, you can work it out to some extent.

Kind regards,

Kaye

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:00 AM

Kaye

Yes I posted a separate thread because a pack appearing to have a successful year was great news.
I will go back and read your list TR for more SSGR cat info.

Hari
Even though Londoz and MM are neighbours, there appears to be little love lost between the two which I'm sure doen't help with naming conventions. And MM uses geography in most cases, which would mean nothing in Londolozi.

Mike Rattray considers Kaye to have a better knowledge of MM's cats than many rangers, which is quite a compliment.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Love the babies! Especially the leopard. Great leopard and lion shots. And cheetahs. Okay, lots of great shots!

Those poor lions. I sure hope they get food soon. I saw the tail-less lioness with her two cubs at MM in June. The cubs were feeding on a small warthog in thick brush and mom was napping nearby. We couldn't even see the cubs very well much less get a picture.

Hi Kaye - wild dogs at MM. Maybe next time!

Gary, thanks for posting your wonderful images. They sure make me want to hop on a plane and go NOW.

Cindy
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 03:25 PM

These photos are spectacular!!!
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:43 PM
santharamhari

Thanks Napamatt....

Kaye, that's a fantastic compliment from the Rattrays.....

Hari

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:54 PM

Hi Hari,

Yes, you are right, that is indeed a lovely compliment from Mr Rattray. I just love the history so much, I have a huge thirst for any info the rangers can tell me. I must drive them nuts, because I certainly drive myself nuts at times! You would not believe the records I keep on what history I have and on all my sightings, nearly a full-time job!

Sorry Matt, I added the dogs without running through first, as I had not been on for a few days. Seems I timed it all very well, in hindsight! The things you learn about yourself on a chatline!

Cindy, I cannot wait to return to MM. I am very lucky in that I will be there just over a few weeks in January 2007, over 3 weeks in March 2007 and then again for over 3 weeks in Dec 2007 into Jan 2008. The cyberdiary has me green with envy at what they are seeing, especially that dog sighting! My niece and I leave 27 Dec and have a few days at Lion Sands first, and then onto MalaMala. On the Lion Sands sightings, they have just had an albino ele born, pink eyes and all. Well worth a look! Hoping to see at the end of Dec!

Gary,

some great photos, and I am green with envy of your brown parrot photo, but I will keep trying for it, but they are very elusive, by the time I hear them, they are gone or out of my camera range. Those lion of the Ximovenyane pride are really thin, but one or two good meals are all it might need to see them in good health again, and I am praying for that to happen even though with only one lioness, not in great health, that may be a bit difficult!

Kind regards,

Kaye
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:50 AM

Kaye

Waht are your MM dates in Jan?
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Had to look at these again. The leopard cub series is just adorable - and again so many other fabulous shohts - lots of those would be hanging on my walls!

Is there anyway to follow up to learn of the "skinny lions'" fate? Those images are really tough to take.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:13 PM

Hi Gary

Some nice pics in your collection.
What camera/lens combo did you use?

Cheers
Marc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -