londolozi

May 20th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

londolozi

We are scheduled to spend 3 nights here. We have just been asked to switch camps from Founders to Pioneer. Wondered what the difference was. It is supposed to be an upgrade which is free because they have a group that wants Founders. I know we will do the switch -- just wanted to know what we were getting/giving up.

Thanks
May 20th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Although I have not been to Londolozi, see for yourself and compare the prices. You are getting upgraded indeed!
http://www.londolozi.com/
May 21st, 2008, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

I did look at the web site. I know this one is a more expensive camp. I also would prefer not to be the only party at a camp that is not part of a group -- that has happened and it was uncomfortable.

I was asking for first hand information -- for example, i believe Founders is on the River while the other is further away. Is being on the river something that is important? This camp ist he furthest from Kruger -- does that matter?
May 21st, 2008, 07:48 AM

I have been to Londolozi 4 times over the last year and a half. Over this period a number of their camps have undergone a seriuos refurbishment. Pioneer was the latest of the camps to undergo a refurbishment and is looking
fantastic. The owners have really done a superb job in taking Londolozi to a new level. The rooms at Founders are very nice, but are not in the same class as thoughs at Pioneer. Pioneer is a definate upgrade. At pioneer you have your own private plunge pool and outside shower. Pioneer is a smaller more intimate camp than Founders. The rooms at pioneer do not have views of the river, however they are nestled deep in the bush and give you the feeling that you really are in the wild. They have cleared alot of bush away from the main deck where you eat your meals. This has now created good views of the river. You mentioned that Pioneer is the furthest from Kruger. All the lodolozi camps are very close to each other and are connected by walkways. Tree Camp which is the furthest camp from pioneer is in easy walking distance. Founders camp is less than 50 metres from Pioneer. In terms of proximity to Kruger they are all the same distance. The game viewing at Londolozi is superb. Londolozi is of such a high standard that no matter which of the 5 camps you stay at you will be guaranteed an outstanding experience. I hope you have a fantastic time at Londolozi. We look forward to your trip report.
May 21st, 2008, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bushmad -- exactly what I wanted to know!
May 27th, 2008, 07:19 AM

Great review, bushmad. Now how about one for Tree Camp which is where we'll be staying in Sept.
May 27th, 2008, 07:08 PM

Totally agree w/ Bushmad on all counts. We got Pioneer when we couldn't get into Main camp, and when we got there we were so glad we did. The chalets are huge and luxurious, the food is basically the same in all 4 camps, Pioneer's a very intimate camp where it' quieter and you have a chance to get to know the other guests, and the service when we were there in Oct. 2006 was fantastic. The river water was down to nothing at that time, so it didn't really matter that we were slightly farther away from it. But we still saw elephants and other game from our deck. Because of the great game, you really can't go wrong at Londo in any camp.
Leslie
May 28th, 2008, 01:15 AM

Hi Emckeeve. Regarding your question about Tree Camp. The camp is looking superb. You really cannot fault it in any way. The refurbishment has taken it to a new level of excellence. The layout of the suits are almost exactly the same as the private granite suits. They are very big indeed. You have your own lounge area, big bathroom, indoor & outdoor shower, plunge pools etc. Try and request a suit on the river which has its own private Sala. Although we all have our own tastes and preferences i'm sure you will be very impressed with Tree Camp. Game viewing, food and service is of the same quality at all camps. Have a wonderful time at Tree Camp. I look forward to hearing your reviews. I hope you enjoy it as much as i did.
May 28th, 2008, 06:51 AM

We were in Tree camp in 2005 and - mind you we had a wonderful stay - thought that the room needed some repairs etc. But this is probably done in the meantime. If ranger Sandros is still there ask for him the greatest ranger with an eagle's eye!
Also we have been told that an English guy from Simbambili has joined Londolozzi, he has a huge knowledge of animal behaviour and is almost too enthousiast!
I also agree for Pioneer, I am not sure I would not choose Pioneer for the next visit but Tree camp is very lovely and intimate.
May 28th, 2008, 07:17 AM

Thank you for the thumbs up on Tree Camp. We had hoped to go to Singita (Boulders, I think) but there was no room, and Londolozi was the replacement. Although we are not going until September (4 weeks in S. Africa and Botswana - including golf) we can't wait.