Lion Sands River Lodge vs. Ulusaba Safari

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rants and raves about either would be appreciated. I'm still partial to Mala Mala Main Camp over these 2 but would like some more insight.

I think I read on the board before that Ulusaba is the most kid friendly safari, which for our honeymoon may not be ideal.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:43 AM

I did not stay at River Lodge (we were at Ivory) but I did see the main area and one room. So based on that limited viewing, I would say that the rooms are fairly basic, or at least in comparison to Ivory Lodge, and the main area is nice.... If you have any other questions about the place let me know and I will try to help as best I can.. Oh, they have a small gym and small pool but I guess that is not what you are asking about and in any case probably know this already. I thought the game viewing at Lion Sands was terrific but then it was my first safari in SA so I am far from experienced on this aspect.. I was there in early October, 2007.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 10:45 AM

If the parents have the bucks, kids of any age may show up at any of the luxury camps. No guarantee anywhere. But, very young children, less than 10 or 12/yrs can't go out on game drives. If kids with parents, they usually go out in vehicle themselves, except when camp is at full occupancy and they have to use every seat in the safari vehicles.

I would think Mala Mala would be more child-friendly.

Others can comment with specifics.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 11:19 AM

I was told Mala Mala wants kids...that they are starting to cater to families.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 12:27 PM

I haven't seen that many kids at MM, and for the most part the ones I have seen have been impeccably behaved. You do see the occasional sulky teenager avec Ipod, but they don't make any noise.
Honeymnoon - Rattrays all the way if you can swing it, even for a couple of nights after Main Camp.
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 09:53 PM

Hi kak113

Have only stayed at Lion Sands Ivory Lodge, which is lovely and a beautiful position on the Sabie River so cannot really comment on River Lodge. Have stayed at Ulusaba, the one in the dry riverbed, though that was back in 2002.

Not sure when you are planning this, but a lot of kids seem to be around at Xmas and the first month or so of their summer break whenever that is.

Matt has a great idea, if the budget allows, and that is Rattrays at MM, a beautiful camp and children under 16 not permitted. You will get the same fabulous gameviewing, but under smaller camp conditions. I myself am always very happy with Main Camp, but have been known to visit Rattrays for a few days during my stay!

Though I have not been on a honeymoon, I would not choose either of those two over MM!

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. There are just too many choices! Lion Sands looks gorgeous and I am intrigued by their treehouse experience, where you get to sleep outside high above everything... and my boss recommended Ulusaba (who knows perhaps he wants to give me a better bonus this year), but I think since I've done all this research on the board Mala Mala seems the favorite so I am hopeful we can stay there. Rattray's may depend on whether we can use some FF miles or points, since right now the honeymoon is approaching the cost of the reception! priorities, priorities