Leopard and cheetah hunting ......and CITES

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lax moratorium and killing behind the scenes becomes "official" again in mid 2010..........
CITES - an immoral and corrupt body

http://www.africahunting.com/modules...&threadid=2035

SV
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 08:52 AM

I cannot believe that the big cats that I love so much can be killed for fun... Stuppppppppid humans.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Tiger
Thank you for your response. I couldn't agree more!

It's devastating! The so called "moratorium" was just window dressing as behind the scenes killing went on without interruption; it was openly advertised by hunting outfitters. The only thing in the past 12 months: "they" were not allowed to export body parts. But killing - yes continued!

How sanctimonious CITES is: They close their eyes (must have cost a lot of bribes into some individual's pockets) despite they know how narrow the gene pool of the cheetah is now based on the senseless killing!

It's not only disgusting - it must be considered a CRIME!

SV
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 11:14 AM

This is just terrible! How can baiting and killing a leopard or cheetah be a sport? Unbelievably sad.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 11:34 AM

I have read about Laurie Marker and her amazing efforts since the 90s to save the Cheetah population in Namibia.

http://www.cheetah.org/?nd=people

Now, these dumb hunters are going to kill these beautiful animals lawfully? Only 12,500 remain in the world (according to a Smithsonian article published in march 2008), with 3000 in Namibia. I wonder what Laurie thinks about this news from Namibia, being the pioneer in Cheetah Conservation based in that very country. What a sad, sad news...

I have spent time and money just to get glimpses of Leopards and here is some fool that will remove them from this world for pleasure for no fault of that animal.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 11:43 AM

http://www.cheetah.org/?nd=intro_to_the_cheetah
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 11:53 AM

Tiger, don't forget about AfriCat Foundation. They too work tirelessly to preserve the Leopards and Cheetahs in Namibia that have become problems for the farmers. They release 90% of all animals they save. Only 10% stay at AfriCat that can't be released. http://www.africat.org

They have just opened up an enormous amount of land for rehabilitaion of these cats. It's difficult to imagine that hunters can have a go at these same animals. Makes me sick.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Tiger
I know Laurie Marker deserves great credits for her work - as well as Lise Hansen for AfriCat (canot speak of Paula Conradi but hope they are also doing a fine job).

Of course L.M. must consider this esxtremely devastating news. But she must put up a brave front as she is guest in that country.
She has to make the best of it.
That alone seems to be quite a task and I admire her for being able to continue despite al these backlashes.

The figure you mention is far to high. New estimation speak about 8000 max worldwide of which live 5000 in Namibia.
90% of Nam surface is in farmers hand. Now you have an idiea of how many cheetah are in danger in Namibia alone!

I start LOVING Kenya even more as e.g. if a cheetah in the Mara is reported "sick" a vet from Mombasa flys in an treats the cat!

SV
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 05:41 PM

We don't have enough cheetahs in the world to be killing them. People who shoot and kill a baited leopard are a little sadistic. That's not hunting.