Search

Leaving Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving Tomorrow

No, not for a safari, which isn't until late June (Hluhluwe and Kgalagadi), but to Honduras to see the Mayan ruins on the Honduras/Guatemala border. I need to squeeze in some short trips before my next trip to Africa. I likely will post a trip report on Latin American branch after I return -- so if interested, please check that branch. Some of you may have travel interests outside Africa

Of the four great Mayan sites (Tikal in Guatemala, Copan in Honduras, and Chitzen Itza and Palenque in Mexico), this will be my third (missing Palenque).
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 06:17 AM
sandi

Well, well. Another trip. Seems someone we know has won the lottery!

Happy travels.

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 08:03 AM

Have a great trip Michael and travel safely!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Have a wonderful time. Saw Tikal and Chichen Itza...whoah, it was way back in 1990!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Have a great trip, Michael! Please post photos too (and an announcement here that your report is up cause I don't check the other boards often ). Of those four, I've only seen Chichen Itza.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Have a great trip, Michael. We have a friend that grew up in Honduras. He is the one that "introduced" me to Africa. I blame this addiction on him. Let us know when you post your trip report.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Now, that was an amazing long weekend (I will get around to a trip report, with photos, eventually). But in a nutshell:

Saturday -- flew from Newark to San Pedro Sula (non-stop on Continental). After landing, I took a taxi into town and caught a bus to Copan ($16, three-hour trip). Located a decent hotel, and then dinner.

Sunday -- up early, walked to Copan ruins, and spent several hours. Absolutely stunning.

Monday -- On Sunday, I met a couple who had arranged a tour to Quiriga, Mayan ruins in Guatemala, for Monday, and I piggybacked on their transport (paid driver $25 for three-hour drive). Quiriga is intersting, but not nearly as much as Copan. I had no transport back to Copan, so I was dependent on local buses, which ended up being pretty easy (but took me about four hours to get back with total costs less than $5).

Tuesday -- bus back to San Pedro Sula and flew back to New York.

Short weekend and two interesting UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Copan being far more impressive than Quiriga.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:02 AM

Looking forward to pics; glad you enjoyed it!