Notices

Leaving Jan. 8 for first safari with OAT

Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving Jan. 8 for first safari with OAT

So many of you have helped with our plans to take our first safari. Thank you all! We are about to leave from NJ next Friday for 19 days in Kenya/Tanzania. Are there any last minute MUSTS that we should know about? We are flying BA via London and hoping not to encounter problems. Looking at weather reports it appears thunderstorms are still daily in Nairobi. We have scheduled the hot air balloon ride over the Serengeti. We are excited and can't believe we are actually going!
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 10:19 AM

Enjoy your safari! We're looking forward to hearing about your experiences when you return. Any musts? Pack light, be flexible and enjoy the experience!
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 11:02 AM

The last minute musts may come from changes in airline rules, such as carryons, so I'd be in touch with BA.

As long as you have any necessary medications, sun protection lip balm, sun cream, hat, binocs, and whatever camera gear you take, you will have a great time. If necessary, wear the binocs as a fashion accessory.

NBO does not equal weather in the rest of the region.

You'll have a fantastic time.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 01:48 PM

There's been rain at Samburu and also the Masai Mara. Things are turning green, though you can expect muddy roads.

Happy and safe travels.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 02:58 PM

Thank goodness there has been rain. It was sorely needed. If you are doing weather checking prior to departure, try googling weather and the specific park you are headed to.
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 04:11 PM

Nothing to add...but have a wonderful time!
Old Jan 4th, 2010, 05:40 AM

I took the OAT 'best of Kenya & Tanzania' trip a few years ago. Your trip leader will take good care of you. If you read the beginning of my trip report, you'll get a synopsis of what I thought was helpful.
Be sure to practice with your camera beforehand -- at one point I found myself sitting staring at the manual while my roommate was poking me in the side and trying to get me to look at a lion.
It's very helpful to have a little flashlight, but you don't need a big, heavy one. I mainly used a good quality key-chain sized one, which I clipped to my fanny pack so I always had it handy.
I'm sure you will have a marvelous time!