Can we be contacted at S Luangwa camps

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't you know it. We're trying to sell our apartment and yesterday (we go today!!)we had a really interested buyer come to look around.

Does anyone know if we will be able to receive e-mail at the camps we're staying at(Kapani, Nkwali, Tafika & Siankaba)? I know they all have e-mail addresses but I don't know if this is for offices elsewhere or actually at the camps.

Also just to say we've got loads of writing paper with us so be prepared for a long trip report on our return & thanks for all the help and advice.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 04:48 AM

Ruthie,

Chances are that you will be able to contact others, by using the satellite phone that should at least be available at Kapani, Tafika and Nkwali but you may have a hard time being contacted.

What you should do is immediately, upon arrival at each camp, find out their e-mail address (it may be different from the one on their website), and then tell them your situation (they should have no problem allowing e-mail to be sent to them), and then phone your realtor with the e-mail addresses. If you have time, you should do that before you depart.

Only other option would be to rent your own satellite phone, but after losing mine last year I probably would not do it again. But, if you have at least three working days before your departure, you still have time to do this. It would likely cost about $200 for a 2 week rental, plus about $2 per minute for any calls (and it has voicemail as a feature so you don't need to keep it on all the time). There would, however, be about a $1,000 deposit for the phone.

Have a wonderful trip!!!
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Rocc,
Thanks for the reply - good advice. We leave in 1 hour so the satellite phone isn't an option (don't think we would have done this anyway given the expense). We'll just have to hope that e-mails work.

Back with all the news on S Luangwa in a couple of weeks!

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Ruthie,

Welcome home (if you are, in fact, yet home). Cannot wait to hear all about your Zambian safari!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 03:44 PM

(I hope you saw the wild dogs that are splashed all over Robin Pope Safaris "It's Monday" weekly update).

www.robinpopesafaris.net

(go to the quick reference box in the far left hand corner and scroll down to It's Monday).

Speaking of wild dogs, I did have the pleasure of watching my 40 pound pointer/sharpei mix, Shy, chase after a deer this morning in the mountains surrounding my house. First I saw a deer, and then I saw what looked like a Puku antelope, until I realized that it was my Shy!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Dang, my field guide did not have a picture of a Puku. Pointer/Sharpei must be an interesting mix...you need to post some pictures of all your dogs.

Brenda
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:10 PM

Wallybrenda,

Here is a picture of a Puku:

http://www.mfuwelodge.com/images/04_...ife_puku_l.jpg

And, here is a photo of Shy...hope this link works:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...d=293823743105

And one of my Puku pics:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...d=124763743105

When sprinting across the mountain, they do look similar!

Shy is the most athletic dog I have had, although I do have a Cocker Spaniel, Jacqueline (Jackie) that is superior in flat out hunting, bringing home all kinds of unwanted presents!

And, finally, for the most spoiled dog of the bunch, Shy's partner in crime, and the father of the puppies pictured with Shy, here is Scooter, the 2 year old Corgi:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...d=531382743105

Unfortunately I do not have pics of Madeline the Chow, Caroline the Corgi/Jack Russell, Marcy the Shih Tzu, Jackie the Cocker Spaniel, Gunther the Chow/Sharpei (and archenemy of Scooter), and Shy & Scooters children - Dudley, Batman & Biggie. The first four mentioned are all pet therapy dogs at our Alzheimer's facilities, and I do think Dudley is a good candidate to join Jackie who is the sole dog at one of the facilities, since Dudley is the calmest of the three puppies, now 11 months old.

Hope these links worked. And as soon as I get my new camera, I will be taking plenty of test shots and may just put up an album of my 10 dogs!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:12 PM

Hi Rocco,
Thanks for the dog photos..but I think I need a password to access your photos
on kodakgallery.com
I'll have to post a few of my four legged friends!
Brenda
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 11:55 PM

Norman Carr, Robin Pope and John Coppinger all have email. If you have your agent contact them for their addresses, I'm sure they might share them, if that important.