Last minute questions

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last minute questions

Well we are packed and ready. We're leaving for JFK in about 2 1/2 hours. We got all our yellow vacination cards finally! I'm now dividing up money and trying to plan as best as possible for tips.

Last minutes questions regarding money:

1. Is there any kind of departure airport tax I should a lot for leaving Tanzania or Kenya?

2. For two adults and one child is 20 dollars a day for your guide/driver considered a good tip?

3. Also, how much a day tipping at lodges? I assuming about $20 to $25?

4. Any other people we should tip (do we have separate guides in the parks that need to be tipped?

Thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions all along the way. I'll report in when we get back.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:36 AM
sandi

Cronen - Gee, I thought you forgot about us and had left yesterday (lots of schools let out yesterday and recall that you mentioned that you were leaving immediately after your daughter was finished with her school year). Lucky girl to be going off to Africa. She's going to have great tales to tell "what I did on my summer vacation." But glad you're still with us for some last minute answers to your questions.

1. Departure Fee - Believe it's USD$20/person, but might have gone up to $40 - if you have time to check the Kenya site, you'll find current info. Arriving and departing NBO, Kenya, that's the only fee. Crossing back from Tanzania to Kenya by road, there is no fee due.

2. On average, between $5-$7/day per person is what is suggested as tip for your guide/driver. So you're in range with $20 (and always dependent on quality of service).

3. At lodges/camps, figure between $3-$5/day per person which will cover your porters, waiters, houskeeping. This is put into a "tip box" usually found at the Reception desk, upon checking out and will be distributed by the lodge/camp to the recipients accordingly. This can be USD or local currency.

4. If you will have the same guide/driver throughout your trip, then you need only tip this person at the conclusion of the trip. If you're visiting both countries, you'll have a separate guide/driver in each country - so each would get tipped at the end of your time with this person. If you take an optional game walk with a member of a particular camp/lodge, this person should be tipped at the conclusion of the activity. Example: A game walk for an hour or two, you can tip $5-$7 for the three of you.

Otherwise, tipping in Nairobi should be - porters/bellmen at $1/bag, housekeeping $2-$3/nt/room, restaurants at 10% if there is no service charge already added to the bill. If there is a service charge, but you felt the service was better than expected, you can feel free to tip a few USD or local currency.

That's about it. You're all going to have a wonderful time. Take lots of pictures, keep a journal, and we'll expect to hear from you when you return. Happy travels.

Old Jun 25th, 2004, 11:01 AM

Cronen-
Safe travels and have a great time!
Looking forward to your trip report upon your return
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi and Divewop, we're off!!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 01:11 PM

Cronen:

Ditto to what Sandi said with one exception. Every time I've left Kenya there hasn't been any extra departure tax you need to pay. It has been paid for in the cost of your ticket.

We know you'll have a marvelous time. Be sure to take a sweatshirt or fleece. Nairobi temperatures at night have been 48 - 55 so evenings might be cool.

Please write a trip report when you get back and let us all enjoy your trip with you.

Jan
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:23 PM

Jan is correct, Kenya departure tax is now included in all tickets.