last minute panic - your itinerary op?

Jan 25th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

last minute panic - your itinerary op?

hey you african nuts here,

my partner and me will go to northern tanzania for safari 1 week (start feb 6). after that we will do a 12 day horse safari at makoa farm/west kili and stretch out at the lazy lagoon (north of dar es salaam). the horse and beach part seem ok to me now (still in negotiations, but will work out).

what i am really unclear about is is the safari trip. we chose atr, it had a great website and seemed trustworthy & able to do the last minute thing ( we contacted them 5 days ago).

we don't want luxury and crowds, just pretty scenery, animals and the real africa. we also want to walk and not only sit in the car. below is the itinerary we came up with. i asked them for private/mobile campsites, and they now keep suggesting ronjas flycamp - as a newy to africa, i am getting really confused now about the naming of camps and whats behind. does the itinerary & price seem ok to you? any other suggestions - i am wondering if we are not better of just witha mobile camp sponaneously - or is that not doable in serengeti/ngorongoro?
i am grateful for any hints, opinions...i found this (most amazing!) travel forum just yesterday and checked also out nomads website after reading thru some threads, thinking they might be more what we are looking for and realized now i have to go thru a different tour operator to work with them. which probably is too late now.

price from atr: usd 5800 2 pax incl. flight from nairobi, 1 hotel night in nairobi, and flight back serengeti to arusha, not including the walks at olduvai and nboto.

thanks a lot for your voices to it!!!

your very late austrian couple

day 1 - drive arusha - makayuni - manyara - ngorongoro (picnic down there) - ilmisigyo (stay overnight)

day 2 hike ilmisigyo - olduvai (pick up somewhere before olduvai by landraover and transfer)

day 3 olduvai (optional walk)

day 4 ndutu lodge (optional walk). walk sounds good, but rather stay in a tent than in a lodge -you op?

day 5-6 ronjo flycamp , game drives

day 7 afternoon flight seronera - arusha, stay at moivari lodge

day 8 transfer to makoa (i think i'd rather go there day 7 at night or stay one day more in the serengeti and fly out in the morning if possible..?)

Jan 25th, 2006, 05:22 AM

I haven't used ATR, but I know a lot of people on this board have and give ATR very positive reviews. At this late date, I'd suggest you relax, stay with ATR, and have a great trip!
Jan 25th, 2006, 05:53 AM

Ronjo is a semi-permanent camp near the central Serengeti area operated by Tanganyika Expeditions (same operator that runs Olduvai and Mawe Ninga). Check out this site http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/serengeti.htm
which has descriptions and photos of the various accomodation in the Serengeti. Also if you're able to use Google Earth, download the map which will show you the exact locations of these camps and lodges.

ATR is able to book Nomad if you want. There are several posters on this board who are staying at Nomad camps booked through ATR. However, I don't know if you can find availability at Nomad camps at this late date. At this point you may have to just take what you can get.

I agree with you that I would just go straight to Makoa on Day 7 or try to get one more night in the Serengeti if you can and go to Makoa on Day 8. There's no reason to stay at a lodge near Arusha and transfer to Makoa the next day.

Have a great trip whatever you end up with and enjoy your horseback safari. Tell Elisabeth and Laszlo that Patty and Mark said hello!
Jan 25th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Regarding private mobile camping, I don't know if ATR offers this option. Does anyone who has worked with ATR know?

In any case, I think the private campsites would still need to be reserved in advance and I'm not sure about availability. I don't know if spontaneity is really an option.
Jan 25th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

thank you for your reassuring thougths! and especially the map idea, patty! will hopefully be able to write a trip report (we are on a rtw though, so internet access is questionable...)
Jan 25th, 2006, 07:48 AM
bat

Patty:
I believe that Nomad does completely private camping so I would guess that ATR would be able to book that. It would be very expensive I would suspect.

lateaustrians, as Patty said, ATR can book Nomad but it might not be available. Given your late booking it is great that you will be able to get these accommodations. It is my understanding that Ronjo is well situated in the seronera valley (I'll be staying there myself in about 2 weeks). Ndutu is in a good location if the migration is where it should be at this time of year--but rain has been a problem. Last I read some rain had come.
Jan 25th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Do let me know how the horse riding goes in the W kili area. I've talked here with Patty about it, seen here photos and am really keen to have a go - but my experience is somewhat limited.

Matt
Jan 26th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

we followed through with atr, and now i am really happy. we end up not going to ronjos camp, but to a private camp in the area for some nights instead (but atr could not tell which one yet - they had to check). they said it is not much more $ than ronjo, so we decided to go for the fancy version.

so i didn't ask them about nomad. it seems we can be lucky to be in the sites they offered us.

we'll do ndutu in any case (and of course i am hoping for some fauna there), but also because there are some hiking options we would like to do.

yes matt, i'll let you know about the horse thing! makoa seems a small operation and somewhat flexible to accommodate the riders and their needs.

kerstin

Search this Thread