Lamu

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Sue

Lamu

Has anyone been to the island of Lamu? We will be staying for a few days at Petleys Inn Hotel in September for our 30th wedding anniversary.<BR><BR>Your comments would be appreciated. <BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 02:35 PM
darlene

Sue,<BR>My husband and I spent 3 days there last year. We stayed at Peponi, and it was great. I confess, we were a little burned out from 12 days on safari, so we didn't take advantage of all the things that they had to offer (dhow ride, going over to the other island, snorkling). But went swimming in the Indian Ocean-as warm as bath water, had a hena tatoo applied on my hand (lasted about 2 weeks) and we went into the old town one morning, it was facinating. Donkeys and cats roam freely, architecture was beautiful-carved doors and buildings made from coral blocks. At the time we were there, March 2001, we were happy to see how well everyone got along, most women there did not wear a veil, only covered their hair. Our guide made a point of telling us how well muslims and christians worked together. Everyone was wonderful. I have wondered and hoped that it was still true.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Sue

Thanks for the information Daelene, it sounds great.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Sue

(Sorry about mis spelling your name Darlene)

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Sue & Steve

Just thought I'd post a message to say how much we enjoyed Lamu. It is a magical place, you feel as if you have gone back in time a couple of hundred years!<BR>No cars, only 400 donkeys!<BR>We were so chilled out it was the perfect place if you like to relax.<BR>The people were so friendly and the stars at night amazing with so little light around.<BR>We visited Manda island and had the whole beach to ourselves and to top it off a fantastic cooked lunch was brought over to the beach from our hotel in Lamu.<BR>Paradise or what?

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 11:26 AM
darlene

Sue,<BR>I'm so excited to read about your experience. Glad that you had a good time. i'd go back in a minute. I must confess that I had forgotten all about this thread, but was happy for the conclusion, thanks for posting.<BR>darlene

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 05:20 AM
Deb

Darlene, would you consider Lamu a safe place to go for a solo traveler? I was also considering Zanzibar.<BR><BR>Also, did you post a trip report about your safari experience? I am trying to decide between southern africa and eastern africa and not making much headway. Thanks

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:21 PM
darlene

Deb,<BR>Lamu seemed to be very safe. It was very low key, and we were not approached by people looking to sell us things, or for handouts. Old town was fascinating, but again, people were friendly, but not pushy. <BR>I have not posted my trip report, although I have just been working on getting my notes into digital form, so maybe one of these days.<BR>As far as East Africa vs South Africa, we have only been to Tanzania for safari, and we loved it. The Serengeti had long been a place I've dreamed about, and it did not disappoint. Watching the migration was the most vivid demonstration of the Circle of Life that I could imagine. We went to 5 northern parks: Arusha, Tarangire, Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Creater and the Serengeti. Each was unique and abundant with animals and birds. The lodging varied between Serena lodges and permanent tented camps, it was a good mix.<BR>If a can answer more specific questions, email me direct, or post here.