Search

Lake Manyara Poaching Incident

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Manyara Poaching Incident

http://allafrica.com/stories/200604260213.html

Unfortunately a wildlife officer was killed by poachers.

In researching different itineraries, I am surprised that some Lake Manyara camps close in April. Unfortunately, wherever there is wildlife, poaching seems to be higher during the wet season when many lodges close.

This incident could have happened just about anywhere in Africa where wildlife exists, so I would not be concerned, especially about Lake Manyara...just reporting an unfortunate incident.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 01:18 PM
africnow

Yes, the same story appears in the Arusha Times:
http://www.arushatimes.co.tz/front_page_3.htm

I don't understand. He was shot in the thigh. Why did he die?

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Perhaps his femoral artery was hit. It would be very difficult for a man to tend to this type of wound on his own, as direct pressure is needed constantly until one gets proper care.

It's a shame for that poor man and his family.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 05:49 PM

what scares me is the escalation of stakes here. As more and more poachers engage in arms fire, the automatic response is going to be more firepower in defense. It just reminds me of Kenya in the late 1980's, and what they had to endure with all of the elephant poaching.

It is really sad.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 05:27 AM

I agree with you Andy, as I was told, the poachers seem to be getting more inventive and bolder with the influx of firearms.
Unfortunately, we saw a zebra in the Serengeti with the most awful gash around his neck. Our guide told us that it was from a failed snare attempt. We were told that the reason for repeated refusals to the many requests for night drives from safari co. in the Serengeti was b/c the rangers have to assume that anyone out at night is a poacher. Apparently, the rangers have huge telescopes that they use to survey the massive park. Unfortunately however, many times, upon finding poachers in action, they have let them go b/c they were out manned and out gunned. He who has the biggest guns wins in this case. I do wonder what the possible solution to this could be?
Sherry
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 05:58 AM

That is correct, Sherry, that the main reason for no night drives in SNP is due to the inability of park rangers to distinguish friend from foe.

On another note, it blows me away that authorities authorized 6 elephant licenses recently at Tarangire. What a sham, and a political joke.