Search

Kruger with child....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kruger with child....

Which camps in Kruger are best, when you have a 3 year old child with you?

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 03:21 AM

Hallo jesron,
All the big camps in Kruger has the same facilities, and depending on the time you are planning to go, I would definitely recommend choosing an air-conditioned unit. Logistically I would focus on the South of the park for the following reasons. It is close and easily accessable from Johannesburg, although I must admit that for most South Africans, 5 hours drive is close. All the camps and picnic spots are close to each other, and should your youngster need a bit of a break, you could stop at these designated sites, as the park rules dictate that you stay in your vehicle at all other times. The extensive network of roads also offer the adults in your party, a multitude of choices of directions from say Skukuza or Lower Sabie. Skukuza has a library that your young one would find very interesting as it displays various animal artifacts that has been found over years of research. It includes mammal embrios at edifferent stages of development and is presented tastefully. If you have any other questions please ask.
Cheers
Jaco
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Hello Jaco
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for details Jaco.

I was thinking of going up to the central part as well, but the main reason for that was that I maybe thought that it was less crowded. Is that correct? I am planning to go after the school holidays which end around the 15. july.

Do you have any experience with booking accomodation through sanparks.org or are there some travels agents who are better to use? I used cardboard box in Namibia 4 years ago when we went to Etosha and they arranged everything from car hire to accomodation. So is there something similiar in SA.?
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 08:35 PM

Hallo jesron,
I am employed by a company that do trips daily into Kruger and the adjacent private reserves. We have recently joined this forum to change the perception that Kruger is a "soft" safari destination, compared to the rest of Africa. If you dig around a bit, you will actually find a lot of stimulating threads posted by various contributors on the subject.

I thus do not want to break Fodor's ruling on advertizing ourselves, but would love to help out.

We deal with sanparks at least 10 times a day. All of their sales ladies and gentleman are extremely helpfull and efficient. I do not know which country you live in, but we have found that a phone call to the head office in Pretoria with an inquiry, will yield a booking, res number and all other details within minutes by e-mail.

With SA's infrastructure, rental car companies are very well represented by Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz etc. To find their contact details is easy on the google search engine by just adding .co.za after the rental company's name. Out of personal experience, we use Europcar, and have only had good service and rates from them.

Depending on the time you visit the park, even the extensive road networks and the camps in the south can be quite. If you would like to go central, I would recommend Satara for game viewing, Olifants for scenery and beauty and Letaba for all the above plus a couple of interesting things to keep your youngster occupied in the day time.

Hallo Mark. Our daughter, Lienka was born on the 18th of February, and I was out of the office for the best time ever with her and Laurika last week.

Cheers
Jaco