Kenya, Tanzania Temperature in late July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, We will take an A&K safari, starting in Ngorongoro, on to Kusini, Larsens Camp, ending in Olonana. Knowing that there will be early morning game drives, a balloon ride, and a night game drive I would like to know how cold it gets and what to wear. The company says to bring "warm clothing - heavy sweater, lined jacket as early morning and evening temps often drop into the low 40's Fahrenheit" Friends went to Kenya in '07 and didn't need anything more than a long sleeved shirt, vest and a windbreaker. Since we are limited to 33 lbs. I want to be prepared but not over dressed. It seems as if many of you have a lot of experience being there that time of year I would appreciate your advice. We live in moderate California.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 06:32 PM

We were in Kenya in mid-August '08 and also had the 33-lb. weight limit. I took a combination of tee shirts (3/4 and long sleeve), long sleeve blouses (with roll-up/button sleeves), a fleece zip-up jacket, and a windbreaker/rain jacket. I could layer these as needed -- worst case scenario was all four layers: tee, long sleeve blouse, fleece, jacket -- but never needed all four. Lots of flexibility though to peel off layers, switch fleece for jacket, etc. I also took silk long underwear, but the only time I worn them was as PJ's in an unheated mountain hotel in Rwanda, so I wouldn't bother with that for your trip.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 07:13 PM

Kitty and ski, We are also going to Kenya from California in late July and are attempting to travel with carry-on. A friend who went last summer advised us to bring pretty much what you suggested plus gloves, a scarf and a cashmere sweater. I think we have all the layers for cold, but we were wondering how warm it gets - will we ever need shorts, sandals or short-sleeved tees?
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM

It will likely be very hot midday. Shorts would work. Zipoffs/convertibles mean you save space. I only wear flip flops around the camp/lodge and in the shower because I prefer to keep my feet enclosed, so I never take sandals. You may want some short sleeves, I always take some. By the time you return midday back to your lodging, it will be hot and you will have stripped off the other layers and short sleeves will be comfortable. I prefer collared shirts for sun protection, but often take one short sleeved t-shirt for around the camp/lodge midday.

Layers is the key and skibumette described the worst case well.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 04:57 AM

Well, it can sure drop to 40-degrees on the rim of Ngorongoro, as it's at 7,000-ft. That said though, you're not walking outside at night and in the morning when there's still a chill in the air till about 8:30am, you're inside a vehicle. However, you should have something warm for these hours here and elsewhere. And, if doing a balloon safari, expect it to be nippy up there.

Layers are the answer, pile on/off as needed. Though I have seen visitors with light-weight ski parkers for these hours. And, a yes to a scarf, hat and gloves as if in open safari vehicles, hauling off across the plains for game, the wind will cut right thru you.

What did catch my attention though is your stop at Kusini Camp in July, located in the Ndutu/Southeast Serengeti, with little game at this time, most of which will be in Central or Northern Serengeti. But then, Kusini is an A&K property, so guess they had to get one of their own into the routing. Lovely camp, but don't expect lots of game... might just be a good place to chill.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Layers it will be. We hadn't thought about a scarf but will include one. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 08:44 AM

A&K know what they are talking about. I am leaving on a 21 day safari through Tanzania in early July and have the same baggage problem -33lbs, when I fly into the Selous. Temperatures vary with altitude. The Ngorongoro Crater rim is at 7.000feet and while it won't freeze it will be very cold in the mornings and evenings. I will have a lightweight windbreaker, light sleeved pullover and a scarf. Discard when it warms up. Remember that your itinerary will have laundry included at Kusini and probably Olonana so you wont need lots of stuff. Check with A&K.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 12:40 AM

Have a look at the attached link has good 2-week weather forecasts by destination in Tanzania. I think they also do Kenya.
http://www.zoover.co.uk/tanzania-and...anzania?Ne=153
Click on the "more destinations" on the left hand menu, select your destination, then look at the tabs for "Weather Forecast".
Scroll down and this should give all the 2-week info a traveler needs.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 05:20 PM

Good weather link. I checked the Mara and it looked a bit chilly for the next two weeks, highs of 70°, lows of 55°. I'm not going until August but doesn't it get colder for the next month or two?
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 06:33 PM

In '08 it was never cold enough for gloves (I only used gloves for grabbing vines while gorilla trekking) -- nor was it ever hot enough to turn my zip-off pants into shorts. There are no doubt variations from year-to-year. I usually lay my clothes out in advance on a spare bed -- then add and subtract items for a couple of weeks before I go. Wait until you're a week or two out from departure to look at the weather again and see which way temps are trending -- then make the final cut on your wardrobe options
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 05:05 AM

August and September are considered "winter" so temps can certainly get colder... those mornings and nights! And, if altitude of lodge/camp is high, like 5,000' or on a hill somewhere, even nippier!
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all - I'll check the weather link before we lock our luggage so will know what to add or subtract. Gear is piling up on the bed in the guest room.
Now for another question: I've read several reports that the area we will be visiting suffered from a severe drought last year. There was a lot of dead wildlife. Is this still evident or have there been more rains? I know that you can't control the weather but I'd like to be prepared.