Kenya / Tanzania itinerary questions

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya / Tanzania itinerary questions

I posted so long ago and cannot find thread, so I shall begin again.We are looking at the 2 of us in early Sept 2006.
Nairobi - Intercontinental
Mara - Little Gov. 3 nites
Arusha - Ngurdoto Mtn Lodge
Crater - Sopa
Tarangire - Swala or Kikoti (2 nites)
Zanzibar - Breezes or Mapenzi Beach Club (2 nites)
fly out of Dar Es Salaam for outbound Int flight.
Questions - best choices in Tarangire and Zanzibar?
we want to be comfortable at our last location, but don't want to worry about having to bring nicer clothes for dressing up.We do like the idea that Mapenzi is all inclusive. Should we stay 3 nites in Zanzibar?
Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated. I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge in the forum. I've learned very valuable info that will really help make our first trip wonderful.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 12:12 PM

I don't have advice for you on your choices in Tarangire or Zanzibar, but if you click on your screen name, all of your previous posts will appear in the left hand column (in case you want to review any earlier advice).
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 12:30 PM

I'm afraid I can't help you narrowing down your choices (probably Sandi, climbhigh and some others are best suited to this), but I am wondering how your planning has been going, Kamolly.

Which safari operator/outfitter did you end up working with? Weren't you initially considering 2afrika and Roy?
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 01:31 PM
sandi

Kamolly -

For Tarangire, I'd opt for Swala if available. While more expensive then Kikoti, it is also smaller and unlike Kikoti not likely to have groups. Besides, Kikoti is a good half-hour or more outside the park itself.

On Zanzibar, both Breezes and Mapenzi get good reviews, though both are relatively large properties and in September both may be close to full. While most all of the resorts provide for snorkling and diving, I believe with Mapenzi on the Northeast coast you're closer to better dive sites. But I like the "all inclusive" including drinks... not that the cost of these add that much to your bill, but it's nice to know there are no surprises at the end. The only problem I personally have with "all inclusive with 3-meals at a beach resort... if you're out for the day, touring or diving, that's one meal you don't eat. I'd ask if you could get Half-Board (bkfst/dinner and drinks) and see what the price difference if they even do this. No harm in asking only if you feel as I do.

Also, both have air conditioning in addition to ceiling fans. It's just a matter of whether you wish standard, deluxe or suite rooms at each.

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

First off - thanks Patty for help on finding my postings.
Leely, my planning is going well. A bit frustrated that I can't get all the 2006 prices yet - they are slowly coming out. I have contacted numerous outfitters, but my best responses and help have come from the U.S. based operator for Roy's (Away to Africa)They have been very helpful and patient with all my questions and changes.
Sandi, thanks for the advise on Swala. I like that one too. Just want to make sure it's worth the additional $200 pp, pn over Kikoti.I like the idea of requesting half board at Mapenzi. that would work out great.
Do you think I may have trouble with things being booked if I'm reserving this early? I would like to book our trip asap, but still waiting for Tanzania air prices and the longer I wait, the more time I have to save up the $$$$$.
I'm leaning toward 3 nites in Zanzibar even at the additional cost. Would be nice to have that time at the end. Not sure yet. Thanks, Kamolly
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:59 AM
sandi

You should't have any problem holding space at the properties you are considering. It is still more than a year away. Especially so the smaller properties - Little Governors and Swala. The 2006 prices are available for properties, but it seems the inter-/intra-country airfares are trickling in slowly. Can't imagine the prices will increase that much for '06 over the current prices.