Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

another weather question - Moremi, Okavango Delta, Chobe

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post

I'm looking at a photo safari to Moremi Game Reserve, Okavango Delta, Chobe National Park and Victoria Falls from Sept 29 to Oct 16. Does anyone know what the temperatures will be like? I've looked at the weather for Maun for 2004 and 2003 and it looks PDH (pretty darn hot). 2004 avg was 92 and 2003 was 100 almost every day except the days it was hotter. Will these places be any cooler (or hotter) than Maun?

Thanks
Cindy
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

When I was there in July, I found that the Delta (Vumbura reserve, just north east of Moremi) was considerably cooler than Maun. It was probably in the mid to high 70s in the Delta, and low to mid80s in Maun.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:02 AM

In October 2003 the delta was very hot, over 100 every day. My Maun experience was just at the airport so I cant comment, but it didnt seem much hotter or cooler, though at 100 its all relative.
Vic Falls was very warm in Feb 99.
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 07:47 AM
bwanamitch

sundowner,

You should also look up temperatures for Moremi and Kasane (Chobe).
See my Botswana weather page at
http://www.bwanamitch.net/Services/W...port.BW.e.html

Mitch

Old Aug 5th, 2005, 08:05 AM

I was there in late September, which would be cooler than October expected temps. (Remember June/July/August is winter in the southern hemisphere, so as cool as it is going to get.) And it's a bit difficult to judge, because the temps did seem to vary a fair bit day to day. But my experience was that Kasane/Chobe were as hot as Maun...the delta seemed just a bit cooler which I attributed to the cooling effect of being on wooded islands in the shade surrounded by water. Game drives in the morning were cool and comfortable, and you didn't notice the heat until the last hour of the drive (in September). Mid-day through sunset was hot, but things did definitely cool down with the sun. Since you spend mid-day relaxing in camp, it is either tolerable or pleasurable, depending on your heat tolerance! I actually rather enjoyed the heat during the day, as long as I didn't have to exert myself!
But if you know you cannot tolerate high temps, it may not be the best time to go