Kenya Riots: updates from the ground?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chat about Kenya has gone quiet on this forum ... have we given up on our trips?

I've been keeping up with online newscasts, etc. and am wondering if anyone just returned, or leaving shortly has any "on the ground info".

I am also feeling VERY selfish because as I scraped and saved to take a safari trip after overcoming a very serious illness.

My emotions are tugging two sides: the disappointment over a possibly lost holiday, and the trials of the Kenyan people.

Is anyone still going?

Is it as bad as it sounds or is the good old media fuelling the fear with screaming headlines and the worst images?

Could you honestly still go and feel good about it with so much upheaval?

I remember a friend in Vancouver complaining about the hit their tourism industry took several years ago when SARS (deadly virus) hit Toronto - 3,000 miles away and completely safe.

Can anyone provide some perspective?
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:12 AM

We are still going (Baringo, Nakuru, Maasai Mara in about 10 days) ... according to our safari operator the problems are limited to certain slums in Nairobi, the coast and a couple of western towns but none of the typical tourist spots have seen problems thus far. Airports and main roads are open.

Here's what he sent me as of Jan 2:

<b><i>Nairobi is basically back to normal, and I have yet to have a tourist see anything of any kind. I've not even seen any of the violence personally yet either !! It is all in the western cities of Kisumu and Eldoret some 300 miles away or deep in the slums.

Nairobi airport and roads to and from it are absolutely unaffected.
I've had over 50 guests come and go over the last 3 days and all have
been fine, and all of our safaris to date have operated quite normally.

Infact the US Warden comments posted on State Dept Website dates Dec 31 were absolutely inaccurate - it was flights to Kisumu ONLY that
were cancelled for 2 days (they have since resumed), and it was the
airport road in MOMBASA that was temporarily blocked for a few hours.

Nakuru and Baringo have been quite okay, the only place on your route
that experienced some demonstrations on Dec 31 was Narok on the way to Mara - and nothing since then and I have had several groups drive through there today without any difficulty. This is an easy leg to fly, even to arrange at short notice - so I think we can easily wait a little while and see how things pan out on that road. Otherwise I feel we can operate your trip pretty much as planned.

There is a demonstration planned for Nairobi tomorrow. I am sure it
will be somewhat violent, but at the same time constrained to within
the slum areas by the security forces, so we will not see anything
other than the images on the TV. However I think the weekend that
follows will really determine what the future holds for us all.</i></b>
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bill.

I did see this post from you on the other thread.

On the BBC website forum a British ex-pat living in a wealthy Nairobi neighbourhood wrote to say that ATMS have no money, food is short and fuel is hard to find outside the city.

Another man said they were &quot;lounging around&quot; their hotel, but just weren't going on city tours.

I'm not a nervous traveller, but this situation does seem a little unnerving.

As a news reporter in another life, I view the headlines with much wariness and know there's much more good stuff than what the press tells us. Good news doesn't make good headlines.

I'd love to hear from others who have contacts in and around the safari community.

I don't leave until the 13th.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:28 AM

I, too, am still going. I leave tomorrow and arrive in NBO on Monday morning (36 hours in Paris).

I spoke with my TA, in Kenya, on the phone and he said basically the same thing that Bill H has posted from his TA.

I am much of the same mindset your are, photogal. It has been a lot of planning, anticipation, etc etc to get to this point and, selfish or not, I'm going.

As a side note, my mother and I arrived in London, in 1986, the morning that the U.S. had bombed Libya. We got caught up in a HUGE demonstration on Oxford street, with a lot of screaming and yelling about Americans. We just kept our mouths shut and carried on about our business until we were out of the area.

Strangely enough, this is the first time I've traveled internationally with my mom since then. hmmmmm lol ;-)

I say, go on your trip, enjoy yourself, and have a most fantastic time.

Shane
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Have a GREAT time, Shane.

Thanks for the input.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:27 AM

Another update from our man in Nairobi, from Jan 3:

<b><i>Nairobi had some skirmishes today - but the police did a
great job in containing it all to the slum areas, and throughout the
week access to airports and Nairobi hotels has been fine.

The rest of the route of your itinerary (Baringo, Nakuru, Mara) was absolutely calm - including Narok where I had several groups drive through.

So logistically all is well - it is just our image that has been trashed.</i></b>
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM

Hi photogal,

For what it's worth, I'm still going, but have made some changes to my itinerary. Was due to arrive Jan. 5 in Nairobi to start two week safari in Kenya and Tanzania. I've changed my plans to fly into Tanzania next week, where I'll proceed with my original itinerary. Then I'll go to Kenya. My itinerary there is the same as planned - Amboseli and Tsavo - although in reverse order and I have lost out on Ol Tukai. I'm hoping the situation will be a bit calmer by then.

The changes also allowed me to eliminate the public bus ride from Arusha to Nairobi, which I was uncomfortable with.

I admit to a little nervousness, but don't want to give up my trip either as it is very important to me.

Hope this helps.

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:55 AM

I am still planning on going - departure date is January 14. I have never ever taken a tour before, but I am not sorry I chose to go with Micato for my first African experience. Micato has telephoned and e-mailed with frequent updates. Tours are continuing, but
Micato did cancel Nairobi activities for at least one group (and substituted an extra day in the bush).
Jess
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:07 AM

jess - I'll bet your are very happy right now that you chose a first class outfit like Micato (A&amp;K also). You know they will keep you informed and take care of you.

regards - tom
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:37 AM

Thanks to all posting here, special thanks to those who are forwarding reports from Kenya like Bill. PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING!

Have not heard from Kennedy today.

I am supposed to leave NY 1/10 and was waiting to see what would happen after the rally today which was cancelled. Thought it would be easier to make a &quot;go or no go&quot; decision after the rally but with it postponed until Tuesday that leaves us just Wed to decide. I am hoping that Desmond Tutu, etc. can bring peace to Kenya and the rally will be cancelled.

Right now our options are as follows:
A-Continue with trip as planned leaving 1/10, then 2 nights in Nairobi, tour with Kennedy 1/12 and fly to Arusha 1/13 to join Tauck.
B-Keep planned flight into Nairobi, overnight (1 night only) then change flight out of Wilson into Arusha and arrive there one day early. Cancel tour with Kennedy.
C-Change flight to arrive into Nairobi one day later (may not be possible since I used frequent flyer miles 6 months ago) overnight then fly to Arusha to join tour.
Cancel tour with Kennedy.

Any thoughts??
Ilene
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:41 AM

I'm still going too. Leave the US on Jan 16th arriving in NBO on the 17th.

One night in NBO, two nights in the Chyulu Hills, another night in NBO, to Rwanda for 7 nights, to Tanzania for 5 nights, then back to Kenya for 5 nights.

Haven't changed anything from my original itinerary.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:44 AM

Bill H,
Who is your tour operator in Africa?
Ilene
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:00 AM

I'm still going too but I don't leave until Jan 26th.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:24 AM

There was a post on LP by someone who said their flight leaving Entebbe had to refuel en route because there was not enough fuel available in Entebbe for the flight due to problems in Kenya. Don't know how other flights will be affected. My trip isn't until April.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 11:30 AM

Ilene
What have you heard from Tauck about the situation?
Jess
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:33 PM

I'm scheduled to leave on the 18th.
Our guide here in Canada is keeping us advised.
While there's no question the situation in Kenya is awful, I agree that the media often exaggerate the worst.
I, too, used to work as a reporter, and the battle is ongoing to balance a good story with an attention-grabbing headline.
I hope folks leaving in the next few days will be able to post back their review of what's happening on the ground.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM

Did Micato not warn their clients about the upcoming elections and did they not suggest to restrict/cancel/postpone certain activities or adapt their tours accordingly?

Several East African based outfitters did exactly this.

Riots and such have been expected for months. The current events should not be surprising although the scope is certainly sad and devastating for so many poor Kenyans.

No-where in the world will you find me on a 20-seat tour bus filled with camera-wielding tourists after a controversial election!
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:13 PM

Micato are using 20-seaters?!?
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:49 PM

Sorry for I am new in Kenya. If I'd like to visit some spots as below from JKIA, will it pass through or locate at the slum area which may cause danger?

*Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage
*Giraffe Centre
*Karen Blixen Museum
*Carnivore
*The Junction

Any information is appreciated.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:10 PM

My contact on the ground got an sms Thursday morning saying “The Government of Kenya advises you not to take part in any unlawful assembly that may result in violence”. People were also warned not to go to town, but he had to do it anyway. He only had to walk 5 kilometres, so that was better. The main problem is food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -