Kenya and Tanzania - RATS???

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya and Tanzania - RATS???

OK, I have struggled against myself for a few weeks now, but my irrational side is winning.

I read a wonderfully detailed trip report that mentioned rats at a picnic/lunch stop. Rats thet FOLLOWED people.

As you may have guessed, I have a pretty severe rat phobia (it dates back to reading 1984 as a teenager). Since seeing that report I have been having bad dreams and some rather nasty images running through my waking mind in the small hours of the morning.

So I have decided to face up to my fears and get the facts BEFORE I'm faced with the situation.

Please help me out by letting me know what I will face. Are there rats at all lunch spots? Should I just stay in the vehicle and eat there? What about the accommodations? (OMG, I don't know what I'll do if there are rats in the camps!!)

We are hitting the popular spots in Kenya and Tanzania, staying in nice accommodations - Kirurumu (Manyara), Serengeti Migration Camp, Ngo Sopa, Tortilis Camp(Amboseli), Lake Nakuru Lodge, and Tipilikwani Camp (Mara).

This will be soon, in the first couple of weeks of October (Spring school vacation).

I am just back in Australia from spending ten years as an expat around asia, so I'm not as unworldly as I probably sound (just a gibbering rat-phobe..)

Please either reassure me, or give it to me straight.

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 04:47 AM

Rats or Hyrax? They can be confused.

I personally haven't seen rats chasing people for food, but have seen rat-type critters scurrying across the plains during game drives.

The Hyrax though, a cousin of the elephant, and are often found a picnic areas.

As there are also some nasty birds, even vervet monkeys scooping down for peoples food, it is suggested you take your meal in your vehicle.

Never seen a rate in/near a tent, but have seen a few field mice... itty bitty things. Can't eat much and probably more scared of you than the other way around.

Old Sep 11th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi,
That eases my mind quite a bit. I'm not keen on mice either, but they're a whole lot better than rats!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 05:28 AM

Sammyl,

In the 14 safaris I have enjoyed (mostly camping with a couple of lodges between camp moves), I have never seen any rats. My husband has a serious fear of mice (you can imagine how he would feel about rats), but has been able to enjoy all his trips. We found the rock hyrax and tree hyrax with their rotund shapes and stump tail fascinating to watch. They reminded us of overweight guinea pigs.

Enjoy your safari and bring back some great memories!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Yes, yes, yes - just what I hoped.

Thanks khakif.

Its a quarter to midnight here and I'm off to bed -to sleep better than I have in weeks.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 05:55 AM

I also don't like rats, but I see a lot more of them here at home than I did on safari, to be honest. (Of course, now I've confirmed everyone's fears about the NYC subway).

Our guide was always quick to tell us the difference between anything we might have to be wary of, vs things to not worry about. That being said, now that I think of it, there were some little animals around at lunchtime, but there was always an easy solution.

Some of the lunch spots had rock hyrax and also lots of lizards, that were closer than I was used to, but they were not interfering with any of the people, or bothering us. No problem.

One of the lunch spots was known for aggressive monkeys, and it actually had a cage for the people to eat in, so you could comfortably have your lunch without being afraid that something would be grabbed.

There was also one place that was known for agressive birds, and in that one place the guide recommended that we might want to eat in the van.

But I was never bothered by rats.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Khakif

Don't take your husband to Duma Tau after good rains.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Dear Sammy,

I hate all rodents! Meeses to pieces! (who was the cartoon character that said that again?)

I stopped at all the places you went to and I didn't see one anywhere!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Duly noted Napamatt!!!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Never saw any rats at picnic places.

I did, however, get attacked by a Black Kite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Kite) while eating breakfast at a picnic spot in the Ngorongoro Crater, so be careful there. I had a bacon and egg sandwich in my hand, was looking the other way, and I felt this painful hit on my hand. When I turned around my finger was bleeding and I saw the bird a few feet from me flying away with half my sandwich. Got a nice gash on my finger, and a great story to tell.

But no, never saw any rats. (Maybe the Black Kites got them all!!)
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 03:41 PM

Sevendown,

So you were one of the people I was warned about while having lunch there. Our guides made us stay in our cars while eating
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone.
I should have asked weeks ago and saved myself all that worry.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 05:49 PM

There are a lot of small rodents at the stops in Serengeti NP, but I think they are mice and not rats:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kumasawa/230749908
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Sevendown-

even though my blog entry was not writted with you in mind, I thought you might appreciate the photo. Yes, the black kites can really really put a hurt on your if you aren't careful. Too bad many people intentionally put themselves in harm's way at Ngoitokitok in Ngorongoro Crater.

http://www.andybiggs.com/blog/please...-the-wildlife/

-Andy
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 09:58 PM

No rats, but I did have two frogs and a gecko in my room at Phinda Rock and a bat in my room at Singita Lebombo (that swooped at my head when I tried to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night). But, I didn't have any mossies in my room!
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Does it help to mention that:
1. rats are likely to occur in any sewerage system ANYWHERE in the world, so they're really not typical for Africa
2. hundreds if not thousands of other animal species than rats are much more likely to cross your way, interfere with you or even hurt you in Africa

If that didn't help so far, then try this: Compare the results of googling for "safari rats" vs. "safari lions"
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 10:50 AM

I thought I posted this in my sleep and the title meant "Kenya and Tanzania - RATS! I am not going to be able to arrange a trip this year." Followed by words even stronger than "rats."

Have a great trip, Sammy. I'd worry more about lions and hyenas than rats.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Andy-- That's an interesting set of photos. I wish I had seen them before my incident (but then my incident was in 1990).

I had seen the birds circling while we were eating, but didn't really appreciate the danger. Our guide did not warn us, so I was not even aware of what might happen. Luckily enough of my sandwich was outside of my hand that the bird was able to get what it was after with only minimal damage to my hand.

I am going back this January, and we intend to eat breakfast in the crater again. This time I'll be on the lookout.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Sammyl,

This is the place to ask about phobias or fears that might interfere with your enjoyment of Africa, and then have them put to rest. You should see the number and length of posts on pit stops in the bush.

If you do see a rock or tree hyrax, mentioned by Sandi, just keep telling yourself they are related to the elephant. These creatures are actually quite cute and overweight Guinea pigs are a good description. At Ngo Sopa, a staff member showed me some tree hyraxes in a tree. They were a bit out of the way and remained in the tree. Quite docile and these remain my best hyrax pics ever.

Those rodents in Duma Tau after heavy rains also greatly increase the Africa Wildcat sightings. I did once witness an African Wildcat kill of a rodent of some kind on a night drive.

Good idea to search for safari rats, even if you google it, I bet you end up with comments about unpleasant vehicle-mates not rodents.

In contrast to your dislike of rats, my last trip was based on a lifelong desire to see the largest rodent in the world--the capybara. They were out in abundance in the Pantanal in Brazil.

Leely, we interpreted the post in the same manner.

I've never heard of Meeces to Pieces. Perhaps my childhood was cartoon deprived.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 04:14 PM

I love Google! I Googled "Meeses to Pieces" someone else was asking the question:

"What cartoon character used the phrase, "I hate those meeses to pieces?"

ANSWER:

" Jinx the Cat. The meeses are Pixie and Dixie. They debuted on Hanna-Barbera's original Huckleberry Hound Show, with Huck and Yogi."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -