Search

Kenya & Tanzania 2011 itinerary ~ 1st safari ~ 1st draft

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya & Tanzania 2011 itinerary ~ 1st safari ~ 1st draft

Nairobi 2/3 nts Fairview, Stanley or ??
Fly Samburu 2 nts Larsens tented camp or ?
Fly Nairobi, drive with guide to Amboseli 2 nts Sopa or Tortilis?
Fly Mara 3 nts Kichwa Tembo or ?
Fly Nairobi then fly to Arusha pick up guide drive to Lake Manyara
Lake Manyara 1 nt Kirurumu, or Serena or?
Drive to Crater 2 nts Sopa Lodge or ?
Drive to Serengeti 2 nts Serena Lodge or?
Fly to Arusha then Zanzibar for 1 week (more on that later)

Here’s my 1st kick at the can on an itinerary for my 1st safari. As a solo traveler I don’t think I can do the whole trip with just myself and a driver so have split things up with fly ins and then me & guide.
My interests are wildlife, scenery, culture and photography but only at the shoot & point level.
Hoping to keep budget at $500 to $600 per day while on safari, can move up a bit but would rather not have to, international flights & Zanzibar not included.
1.) Looking for feedback on itinerary, accommodation, thoughts on flights (like who with? Air Kenya?)
2.) I understand in end of May & throughout June there is still a migration altho not as large as later, plus your dollar can go a bit farther. Or should I stick with Sept/Oct?
3.) Some posters have mentioned single supplements can be waived if you’re persistent. I need a crash course in Persistence 101.

All ideas, suggestions, critiques are welcome and appreciated!
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

The $500 to $600 doesn't include flights.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 01:49 PM

Nairobi -
Nairobi 2/3 nts Fairview, Stanley or ??
- 2/nts is sufficient; alternative would be Macushla House

Fly Samburu 2 nts Larsens tented camp or ?
- Elephant Bedroom gets good reviews

Fly Nairobi, drive with guide to Amboseli 2 nts Sopa or Tortilis?
- Tortilis is on the top budgetwise; Sopa though priced well is way out the far side of the park... will be a long drive on day you arrive not getting to lodge before dark; not much to see in the dark. Serena or Ol Tukai Lodges might be better choices.

Fly Mara 3 nts Kichwa Tembo or ?
- there are so many choices here; KT though a large camp, maybe consider the smaller Kicheche which in June doesn't have a single supplement.

Fly Nairobi then fly to Arusha pick up guide drive to Lake Manyara; 1 nt Kirurumu, or Serena or?
- this flight from Nairobi will be into Kilimanjaro/JRO (intl airport for immigration) arriving about 2pm, where transfer to Arusha is about 1/hr, then another 2.5/hrs to Manyara; might not arrive till dark and parks close by 6pm. Do early morning game drive next before heading to Ngorongoro.

Drive to Crater 2 nts Sopa Lodge or ?
- to keep in budget, Sopa is the best

Drive to Serengeti 2 nts Serena Lodge or?
- Serena is in Central; if in May or June, maybe consider Mbalageti Camp in the Western Serengeti (good prices is this falls in May, a bit higher in June); or if staying in Central maybe Lemala Ewanjan Camp. Since the migration is in the Serengeti May/June, I'd definitely spend minimum 3/nts.

Remember - While May is low-season both Kenya/Tanzania, come June it's mid-season prices in Kenya, but peak-season prices in Tanzania.

Fly to Arusha then Zanzibar for 1 week (more on that later)

Itinerary routing works, but until you have prices will you know if the budget can handle it... so get prices.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input sandi! I wanted to make sure the itinerary was doable before getting any quotes.
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

"Fly Nairobi then fly to Arusha pick up guide drive to Lake Manyara; 1 nt Kirurumu, or Serena or?
- this flight from Nairobi will be into Kilimanjaro/JRO (intl airport for immigration) arriving about 2pm, where transfer to Arusha is about 1/hr, then another 2.5/hrs to Manyara; might not arrive till dark and parks close by 6pm. Do early morning game drive next before heading to Ngorongoro."

sandi where are you suggesting I do the early morning game drive?
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Thinking of driving with guide from Nairobi to Amboseli and then fly onto Mara, is the 5 hour drive worth it in regards to scenery and wild life or would flying be a better option?
Will be driving thru Tanzania on 2nd leg so just wondering what to do here.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 08:24 AM

Arriving JRO at 2pm and not arriving Manyara till dusk, won't have time for late afternoon game drive, so suggest you do the Manyara game drive next morning. These go out at 6am, so there's sufficient time for this and still get to the Ngorongoro for afternoon crater tour.

As to Amboseli, personally I wouldn't do two (2) elephant parks which along with Samburu you'd be visiting two! Samburu has the benefit of ellees but also unique species, while Amboseli has possible views of Kilimanjaro.

But if you wish to do both, I'd rather take the 2pm Safari Link flight (50/min) to Amboseli rather than drive the 4+/hrs. There's really not much to see on the way and the turnoff road from Namanga to Amboseli itself, is terrible!!!

Or consider visiting Amboseli first, then Samburu, then the Mara before heading onto Kilimanjaro and the Tanzania segment. The flight schedules will work with this routing also.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Ok sandi, now I get it!

Chose Samburu more for the cultural aspect of seeing a different tribe. The elephants would just be a bonus! Checked out Elephant Bedroom's website which looks cool and aside from the charming name, the idea of elephants walking around the camp is pretty exciting while scary at the same time. Just hope the beds are big enough for the both of us!!!!

Picked Amboseli for the "classic Africa" views with Kilimanjaro as the backdrop.

Hmm will have to think thru the 2 ellee parks thing more.

Macushla House also looks very charming and it's hominess might just be the ticket for a solo traveller. Is there really any reason to be in the heart of the city as opposed to a suburb? I could perhaps stay in the city for a day on the way home.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Ok this is clearly a question from a newbie but when I see pictures of elephants walking along the same camp path I'll be walking on to my tent, such as in Elephant Bedroom, should I be concerned, afraid, all of the above or none of the above?
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I exercise a lot of caution, especially around elephants (just ask Patty, who posts on this board), but that is not something I would worry about. Your askari isn't going to lead you down the briar path if there are elephants wandering about. And they're hard to miss!

Cannot recall whether you are traveling solo of if budget is otherwise a concern, but I recently stayed at Macushla and it was terrific. Have also heard very good things about the Fairview.
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Leely2 ~ At this point travelling solo and am trying to keep budget in the mid range somewhere between $500 to $600 per day while on safari.
End of May beginning of June 2011 are so far my 1st choice. Like the idea of less people about and perhaps having my dollar go a bit farther.

Ok I'll be very careful around elephants!!
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 08:00 AM

Hi Kathee,

Here's some pictures of Elephant Bedroom I took during our visit there - it's a wonderful camp, really nice, I think you'd like it.

http://www.pbase.com/lyndas/elephant_bedroom

When we were there, the elephants were off to the side of the camp, none ewre on the paths. Not to say that couldn't happen though I guess!
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 08:29 AM

When you have an "unfenced" camp anywhere, there's always the possibility of game coming to visit. However, just because the camp is open, the askaris are always patroling. Should there be much more than little Bambi walking about... they'll let you know and you'll remain where you are till they leave.

My "close encounters" have been interesting. Besides, of course, often having a Bambi walk by my side, there have been
1) some dik-dik (tiniest antelope) who are often very skittish, while sitting reading lifted my eyes to find three of them sitting and watching me;
2) similar happened with the hyrax (cousin to the elephant), an entire family - momma, poppa and lots of little ones - running over my deck, in/out of my room... harmless, but for the little droppings they leave (camp cleans up quickly); but with hyrax come snakes, when later that day leaving my tent to see two (probably harmless but I hate snakes) on the hunt for their next meal;
3) a vervet monkey who raided my tent (while I was drying my hair) to steal my breakfast biscuits;
4) quiet afternoon read, my eye catches a tail which I immediately realized was a chui (leopard), who probably was more surprised than I and scurried away.... fast
5) vervets again (they're rascals), playing on top of my tent then in the trees shaking all the leaves off evertime I walked out to see what they were up to;
6) sitting poolside at camp, which had a waterhole not far away that is often visited by elephants when the giant bull ellee decided the pool was more appealing so walked my way... I just got up slowly, retreated (backwards) to the dining area and waited till he almost drained the pool - that was funny!
7) a common occurence for many when you wake to hear chomping besides or under your tent to peek out and see it's the hippos; you stay inside till they retreat to the water.
8) a camp "pet" - baby kudo left by it's mom, surprised me by nuzzling up when exiting vehicle... it was cute then, but nowadays is very big and kept far away from guests;
9) again, vervet monkey that jumped into our vehicle looking for food (naturally), checked out all the back-of-seat pockets, even my tote bag... finding nothing jumped onto the top of seat onto my shoulder before out of vehicle.

I'm sure there have been others, but it's all part of the adventure. Just don't leave your common sense at home and please do not attempt/encourage feeding of any of these animals or they'll be back if you still have your arm!
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Lynda, thanks for posting the pics from Elephant's Bedroom (love that name!). Your pics give a much better idea of what the camp is like as opposed to the ones on the website. With no fans in the tent & me walking around in "my own personal summer" (if you catch my drift!) I'm leaning more towards Larsens.

sandi,wow! fantastic list of close encounters, really made me smile as well as a bit more prepared should something similar happen to me.

I wonder if the ellees have ever tried to mow down a tent...should it happen to be in it's way?

Wonder if the ellee that drained the pool enjoyed all the chlorine!!
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

"Or consider visiting Amboseli first, then Samburu, then the Mara before heading onto Kilimanjaro and the Tanzania segment. The flight schedules will work with this routing also."

sandi would you mind explaining why you feel this order would be preferable cause I'm just not gettin' it.

You also mentioned not doing 2 elephant parks. Is there somewhere else you would recommend that would give me Mt Kilimanjaro as a backdrop?

sandi again thanks for all the time & effort you put into helping us all out. Your insight is really invaluable.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 06:32 AM

It's just an alternative. While Amboseli is nice and might provide views of Kili, it's a flat relatively dusty park, whereas Samburu has diverse landscapes and unique species... building up to the Masai Mara.
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sandi, after looking into Amboseli more have decided to remove it and will add 1 nt to Mara. So that will just give me 2 camps in Kenya, Samburu & Mara.

Gosh I can see how you can get addicted to all this research and stuff...sat down at the computer last nite @ 10:00pm and the next thing I knew it was 2:00 am!! Can't imagine what it'll be like when I get back??!!
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 06:09 AM

Sounds good!
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone suggest a mid range beach hotel, with air conditioning in Zanzibar that would suit a solo traveller?

I was initially liking Pongwe Beach until I found out there is no air conditioning, meals are a little on the small side and it's quite remote so you can't dine elsewhere.

This hotel will be for 2 to 3 days of unwinding after my safari and then a few days in Stone Town after.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 06:25 AM

Look at Blue Bay Resort and Spa. Has a/c, recently refurbished, lovely beach. But also remote so not likely to leave property to dine. http://www.bluebayzanzibar.com/blueb...esort-and-spa/

If looking for restaurants, bars, dancing, etc. best to be on the northern tip of the island, but likely to find a younger crowd up here (for that reason alone).

Regardless where staying, best not to be walking about at night, use taxis to get to/from wherever.

Do be prepared for those offering a/c to be more expensive than those that don't have. Some prices are just a bit higher in cost and others lots higher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -