Kenya Airlines Strike?

Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Kenya Airlines Strike?

We are heading to Kenya in less than 2 weeks and need to get from Nairobi to Kisimu but just found out that all Kenya Airline flights from Nairobi to Kisimu are cancelled due to the strike. If anyone has thoughts on the current situation there and/or alternative transportation from Nairobi to Kisimu, we'd appreciate your help. We have been told to avoid taking the bus if at all possible. Someone said that another airline may be flying there, but our information is sketchy. Any thoughts on this?
Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:57 PM

Though the strike was over... it was only for a day or two!

Otherwise, who are your contacts on the ground? In Nairobi or Kisimu? Contact them for alternatives.
Sep 9th, 2009, 03:19 PM

Unless your tour operator has notified you of another strike, the Kenya Airways stike was over on August 16th. I was in Tsavo when the strike occurred. I had no way to fly from Mombasa to Nairobi as Air Kenya and Fly 540 were fully booked. THerefore my tour operator in Kenya arranged for a private vehicle to have me driven to Nairobi. In the meantime Kenya airways was ordered back to work. On arrival at JKIA on August 17th it was true mayhem. KLM had ordered two planes to fly out (from Sunday and Monday night's groups). Kenya Airways managed the check-in desks. There was absolutely no organization at check-in with approxmately 500 - 600 passengers trying to check in, being allowed to go through the main door one at a time. No-one told people which line to get in, etc and there were a lot of angry people at JKIA that night. They should have set up lines, one for Sunday night's flight, one for Monday night's flight and another for business class/elite passengers, but apparently that didn't occur to anyone there.

You might want to oheck and see if Air Kenya or Safarilink fly to Kericho or Kisimu. Good luck.
Sep 9th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Sapphire:

Air Kenya and Safarilink do not have flights to Kisimu. However I found ALS to have two flights daily to Kisimu
(apparently new flights). Please see http://www.als.co.ke/pages/contacts.htm
to get their email address and schedule information.
Sep 9th, 2009, 06:20 PM

As the others have written, strike's over. It almost disrupted me too, but Rwandair Express to the rescue.

have a good trip!
Sep 11th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Sapphire:

I just read of another option. Fly 540 has two flights a day to Kisimu. Go to http://www.coastweek.com/3237-09.htm and read the details.
Sep 13th, 2009, 06:20 AM

Just returned from Kenya last night and flew Kenya Airlines back to London. The airline seems to be back to normal and unless I had heard about the strike on this board I would not have even known there had been one.