Kasane, Botswana / Namibia

Aug 10th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Kasane, Botswana / Namibia

In terms of driving time, how close is the Caprivi Strip of Namibia to Kasane, Botswana? For purposes of a day trip only from Kasane, is there anything to see or do in Namibia? If so, what would be the approx. R/T time from Kasane?
Aug 10th, 2004, 01:26 PM
sandi

As a day-trip? NOT! There are land crossings and water crossings in getting from Kasane, Botswana to Caprivi, Namibia.

There is plenty to do and see in Namibia. Where in Namibia? What in particular is your interest?

Aug 10th, 2004, 01:54 PM

Its short as the crow flies, but a relatively long drive since it involves several countries and border crossings. There are boats but I'm not sure what you would see. The only sight that I recall is a nice hotel on the Chobe River in Namibia, I think called Chobe Savannah or something like that, so if you want to be able to claim you've been to Namibia, maybe you can arrange transfers and lunch.
Aug 10th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Sandi. Tho Chit's guess is correct. I have no current interest in Namibia other than to satisfy myself in having visited another country. In looking at my map, it seems as though the opportunity theoretically exists, and who knows if that opportunity will pass my way again. In reality, all that I am truly looking for is the closest "destination" in Namibia from Kasane. If there is a "Chobe Savannah" in Namibia, it sounds like a reasonable "destination", and I thank Tho Chit for that information. After Kasane, we go to Vic Falls.
Sep 21st, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

We recently returned from our southern Africa trip. I would like to thank Thit Cho for the advice about a possible hotel on the Chobe River as a possible destination for a quick venture into Namibia. That piece of info sparked my internet reseach, which ultimately led to my arrangements with Impalila Lodge in Namibia. I don't know if I'll ever pass that way again, but at least I have been to Namibia. As an extra benefit, I am now able to say that on Aug. 29th, we had breakfast in Botswana (Savute Elephant Camp), lunch in Namibia (Impalila Lodge), and dinner in Zimbabwe (the Boma, affiliated with the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge).

The luncheon stopover at Impalila Lodge (e-mail: [email protected]) was arranged thru Islands in Africa (www.islandsinafrica.com) at a total cost of R867. They had us picked up at Kasane Airport for transport to Botswana immigration (5 min.). We were met there by someone from Impalila Lodge, who then took us by speedboat to Namibian immigration (5 min.), and then to Impalila Lodge on Impalila Island. They served a lunch of fork-tender Kudu, which my wife and I thought to be one of the three best meals on our entire trip (BTW- we never had a bad meal). After lunch and a short tour of their accomodations, we reversed our direction via speedboat until we were picked up at Botswana immigration by BushTracks for our overland (approx. 1 hr.) drive to Vic Falls.

BTW -- Impalila Lodge seemed to be an excellent 2-day rest stopover between Botswana and Vic Falls, especially for birders. They boast that they have over 400 different bird species. Also, excellent fishing, always with a guide.
Sep 21st, 2004, 12:38 PM
HappyTravels

We recently photographed kudu, and they looked great in the wild. Nice it was fork tender - Emeril would like that!!

Sep 21st, 2004, 01:03 PM

Glad I sparked your interest -- sounds like an interesting day.

In August 2001, I had breakfast in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, then flew to Lilongwe, Malawi where we had lunch, and then had dinner at our destination, South Luangwa, Zambia.

Some other three country days -- breakfast in Cotonou (Benin), then drove via Lome, Togo (had lunch) and then finished in destination, Accra, Ghana, where we had dinner.

And in August 2003, breakfast in Maputo, Mozambique before heading to airport, lunch during transit in Johannesburg, South Africa airport, and dinner at destination Windhoek, Namibia.

You certainly had an iteresting day.

Michael
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

To Happy Travels: We also saw and photographed kudu in the wild. We also witnessed 3 lioness feasting on a kudu they had just killed. Kudu also was on the menu in many of the African restaurants at which we dined. All of these are or were just facts of life.

Search this Thread