Zimbabwe Visa for american travellers?

Sep 17th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Zimbabwe Visa for american travellers?

i am heading to zimababwe in january and was wondering how easy is it to obtain a visa when you arrive in vic falls and if anyone has had any problems? i've been told to just go and get it at the airport, which i have no problem with, but i just dont want to have any hickups. thx in advance
Sep 17th, 2004, 03:37 PM
sandi

When you deplane in VFA, you can get your visa right inside the terminal. Payment is in USD. It was $30, but may have increased to $35 or $40. And there is a departure fee of $20 (though this might have also increased). Check with the Zimbabwe embassy for current amounts.

Sep 20th, 2004, 02:03 PM

We just returned from Vic Falls, Zimbabwe, having been there from 8/29 to 9/3/2004, with this excursion into Vic Falls being part of a larger trip. We are US citizens and residents. Yes, a visa was required for entry into Zimbabwe. The cost was $30 p/p, payable in USD, and we obtained it at the Botswana/Zimbabwe border (Kasane). The paperwork took less than 5 min. We purchased single entry visas only, being advised by the staff that dual or multiple entry visas were not necessary provided that we did not spend overnight outside Zimbabwe. In other words, you can visit Vic Falls on the Zambian side (which we did) without having to pay another visa fee to re-enter Zimbabwe. That meant we were free to take the Vic Falls helicopter ride from the Zambian side (we were told that they have the newer equipment) and visit the Royal Livingstone Hotel for high tea. BTW, a $10 p/p visa fee was payable to Zambia upon entry into Zambia.
Sep 20th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

jrruff,
thanks for the info. quick question for you. how long did it take to make the stop in kasane and then on to vic falls in zim. i am staying at makololo plains in jan and then afterward heading into botswana and was curious how long it takes getting through all the customs etc. i want to make sure we have enough time to get in a morning game drive and still be able to get to the delta before their afternoon game drives begin. any info would be appreciated. thx
Sep 21st, 2004, 04:10 AM
sandi

The drive from VFA on paved road was exactly 1-hour to the border. Here we changed vehicles to a Botswanan one with driver; made a brief turn on the road and there was the border station. It took all of 5-minutes, maybe, to have our passports stamped and we were on our way.

Upon leaving the border station you come upon a spot where vehicles and individuals have to drive thru or step into an insecticide to sanitize wheels and shoes from anything that one might bring in from Zimbabwe. It's quick - though different, but one understands the reason for this.

Maybe a 5-10 minute drive from here on paved road is the turn-off to the airport. So figure total time to be about 1-1/2 hours from VFA to the airport at Kasane. What you need to find out is how long it will take from Makololo to VFA center. When is your flight scheduled into the Delta?

Sep 21st, 2004, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

hi sandi,
the flight from makololo to vic falls is 55min. from my understanding, sefofane would fly us to teh falls after our morning drive, then to kasane and then on to the delta for our afternoon drive. the flight from kasane to the delta is about an hour as well. i just want to make sure that we have enough time to go from makololo to the delta and still have time to have a morning drive and arrive before the afternnon drive. if not i would stay over nite at vic falls. my travel agent says that it shouldnt be a problem but i just want to be sure.
Sep 21st, 2004, 09:31 AM

Bigcountry: Sandi precisely described our border experience (Botswana/Zim), and the time that it took, both driving between the border and Vic Falls and traversing the border (out one station and in the other). The only difference was that we were travelling in the other direction (Kasane to Vic Falls).
Sep 21st, 2004, 09:50 AM

I am planning to visit Vic Falls with my family next summer (ours, that is). Any thoughts on which is better to base operations at: Zimbabwe or Zambia?

Thanks in advance.
Sep 21st, 2004, 05:29 PM
sandi

If you're flying all the way on the same plane, I would gather the border facilities will be at the Kasane airport rather then at the border (which is the land crossing).
Assuming you do the morning game drive at 6am and return to camp between 9-10am, then fly out to Kasane and from there onto the Delta, you should certainly be at your camp before 3pm. The afternoon game drive isn't till about 4pm. You'll be fine.
Enjoy.

Search this Thread