Search

Just returned from Nile Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just returned from Nile Cruise

Hi

I did a late booking for a Nile cruise and returned on Monday.
We travelled from Gatwick to Luxor on Monarch and spent 7 nights FB/FE on th M-S Campollion 1. I also had a quick look round the Fleurette which has just been refubrished and was waiting for new arrivals.
Before I went I spent quite a bit of time on the forums trying to pick up some tip many of which were useful.
If I can be of help to anyone else I will be happy to answer any questions however trivial they may seem.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 06:17 AM

thanks we are planning for Dec-10. Can you advise on cruise length? I have seen anything from 3 days/4 nights to 7 day cruises. How long was yours and did you want it to be longer? Do you know anything about the relative merits of going north vs. south? The ships that have been proposed by our agent are M/S Antares and M/S Mojito, did you see or hear anything about these ships? How did you like your ship?
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 08:34 AM

JToronto --
I was on the M/S Mojito in 2008. While it was okay I did feel I wished we were on something a little nicer. No issues with cleanliness or anything, but it just felt tired. I didn't get to see any other ships so I'm not sure how it compares. I know there are a couple of more luxurious ones but probably I wouldn't pay a whole lot more for that. Truly, we were out touring most of the time so I think for the amount of time we spent on the ship it was fine. The service was very good - e.g., laundry was done quickly and cheaply. The top deck had a large shaded area with tables so you could sit & enjoy the view when we were moving without roasting (altho' also some area for sunbathing if that's what you want).

I did think that 4 nights was enough - I was glad to get back to hotels (hotels we were in were all 5-star). I can't remember now how the direction works but I think you stop at the same places but against the current it just takes an extra day.

If you ask your question in a separate post with a different title you'll get more opinions on the length of time people recommend.

Let me know if you have other Mojito questions.
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 10:48 AM

JToronto:

We just returned from a customized 12-day trip to Egypt that included a 4-night cruise on the M/S Mojito. I thought the cruise and the ship were fine. All rooms are the same, I understand and our room was quite confortable. The food was good-not gourmet but good. I kept to a strict diet and did not try the salads or several of the fruits. I still felt that the variety of foods was enough.

The Mojito is nicely decorated, but not fancy. We went through a coup of cruise ships that were more elaborately decorated but I preferred our style. I enjoyed not having to pack and unpack for the 4 nights.

Let me know whether you have any additional questions.

Pat
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 05:44 AM

Are these boats non-smoking?
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 12:20 PM

I'm pretty sure not. Maybe certain areas are designated for smoking. But I think every single man I saw in Egypt was smoking so.....
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 01:25 PM

Darn... I hate smoking!!