Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

July 2011- is it safe for us to go to Egypt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw a post asking whether it's safe to go to Egypt in September 2011. I have the same question but it's for July! Here's some background:

My husband's aunt called us today. She lives in Cairo. She recommends we postpone our trip to next year citing the security situation. She says there's very little police, there are gangs of thugs committing petty crime mostly and demonstrations break out often. She says there's a curfew in place and people don't go out unless it's absolutely necessary. She painted a pretty scarey picture. She also says there's very little tourism going on.

Of course my kids freaked out (they are 12/12/13) and don't want to go. I tried calming them telling them that, if need be, we could hire a body guard (I have no clue how we'd arrange that). My daughter (who, a few years ago, innocently was going to run pass an Israeli checkpoint in Hebron, Palestine... and still recalls the Israeli soldier directing his machine gun at her... that's another story but you can imagine how scared she gets when she hears that a place is not safe) really wants us to cancel.

I'm on here because I want to ask for your honest opinions. I'd love to hear from anyone who lives in Cairo or has been there in the past 3 months. What should we do? We travel extensively in the summers (we've been to Israel/Palestine/Jordan/Gulf/Turkey/lots of countries in Europe). We were really looking forward to this trip. If we're forced to cancel, this will be the first summer we don't go anywhere (we're traveling with rewards mileage so it'll be very difficult to travel somewhere else at this late stage). However, I don't want us to go and then be stuck in our hotel. I am very concerned about personal safety. The aunt kept mentioning thugs and gangs. As tourists, aren't we going to be ideal targets? We speak Arabic (I'll tell my not so great Arabic speaking kids to keep their mouths closed) but we still look non Egyptian (very light skinned) and I'm sure our mannerisms will give us away (they usually do).

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Today was not a good day
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

I also forgot to mention that our trip is for one month!
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:16 AM

I live here and I have no such concerns about the place. Yeah, I've heard stories about people driving around and having someone stop them on the highway and rob them or whatever. I have no idea if these stories are actually true or fabricated and just told over and over again, getting embellished each time. Egyptians are great gossips and if someone overhears someone say "this or that could happen"....then all of a sudden the Egyptians that heard it make it become gospel and it happened to a friend of a friend they know well.
Hotels are perfectly safe. There is petty crime going on here now, whereas before it did feel very safe. Today it is more like going to Barcelona, Rome, London - where crime is expected and everyone goes anyway.
You say "as tourists, won't we be targets" - I don't think so. You should probably organize tours for your family with drivers and vans and guides that know what they are doing so you don't end up out in Dashure with a taxi driver that may break down at any time, leaving you stranded on the side of the road.
I'm not sure I would hide that I speak Arabic. It would proably come in handy if something did go wrong as you can ask for help in more than one language, and you certainly could understand what everyone around you was saying. Most tourists wouldn't have that advantage. I really don't think you'll have to worry though. Stay in a good neighborhood at a decent hotel and all will be fine. (I'm curious where your relatives live - I am in Heliopolis, and you'd not know anything was happening here)
If your children are THAT freaked out by it though, I don't know if I'd be forcing them to come. Are they capable enough to do their own research on here and find out what kids their own age are saying about Egypt and Cairo specifically? Maybe they can Google CAC (Cairo American College) and see if there is a chat site or something for the students (K-12) to talk about this. It might help put their minds at ease. I would hope.
I guess you should prepare your daughter for the fact that there are police and soldiers carrying guns here too. There are even some ARMY tanks and other vehicles out on the streets that you may see. Not a lot, but some.
I hope you can come and see for yourself. It is the best time to come for seeing everything without massive crowds. The only down side is that there are some smaller museums not open, so they must be missed...but all the biggies are open!
Good luck on your decision.
Old May 15th, 2011, 03:07 AM

travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1108.html

Still travel alerts pretty dodgy time to go.

Muslim/Coptic conflicts have erupted last week

With the burning of a Coptic Church Bin Laden fallout etc.

I love Egypt but personally would not risk

elective family travel in major cities there at this time.

insuremytrip.com enroll in the STEP program if you go.

I was in Luxor in the 90s when all the Japanese tourists

were killed it was a pretty scary place to be.

Might think twice about taking advice from for profit

tourism agents in clever disguises on the boards...

If you stay in tourist enclaves though odds are great

you will be just fine.

Happy deciding,
Old May 15th, 2011, 08:33 AM

My first thought was the ungodly heat in July in Egypt and why would anyone want to be there during that time?
Old May 15th, 2011, 02:06 PM

As dutyfree, my first thought "the brutal heat" in July, so be sure hotel has pool and sightseeing only to be done early morning and late-afternoon. Always property covered with hat, SPF, and water.

Regarding qwovadis' comment
<i>"Might think twice about taking advice from for profit tourism agents in clever disguises on the boards... </i>

if he/she is referring to Casual Cairo, no secret there... Debbie is a tour operator and others here know so. But she's always been honest about that when asked and you'll find many refer her services, though she never promotes herself.

Regarding military on the street, I've seen them in Israel, Egypt, Turkey and even here in the USofA... that's the world we live in unfortunately.

Suggest you read some recent threads on this board from visitors who had/have been during the initial upheaval and since. Their experiences, along with the wonderful time they had.

In the end, decision will be up to you.
Old May 15th, 2011, 04:03 PM

There are tour operators and then there are tour operators.

Casual Cairo has NEVER promoted anything but honesty and useful info through the years to all of us considering travels to Egypt. When you ask her questions it is like having a cousin living there who can be up front to you and offer a wealth of information.I would respect any and all opinions that she would offer!
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:43 PM

Thank you sandi and dutyfree. I tried to give an answer that reflected that I live here, more than work here. If qwovadis does not believe me, so be it, but I appreciate your support as I enjoy answering questions here as if I am your cousin, sister, neighbors cousin, or whatever living in Cairo.
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:53 AM

I don't pay much attention to qwovadis's posts. They are very difficult to read and make me wonder if he gets some kind of commission from that trip insurance website (since it is mentioned in every one of his posts).

layanluvstotravel - what did you have planned for your Egypt trip? Nile cruise? Beach resort?
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Grcxx3---We have an Egyptian friend who lives in the States and recommended we do the following:

We planned on seeing the pyramids/museums/mosques in Cairo. Flying to Aswan for a few days then Luxor (and doing a Nile cruise at that time). Then going to Sharm El Sheikh and staying on a resort with excursions. Then going to Alexandria from there for a few days and then staying at a lovely beach near the city (I forget its name?). Then going back to Cairo and leaving from there. We have an entire month planned for this trip.

I know it will be hot, hot, hot. However, this is the only time we can travel in the year and we've gone to hot places below (Seville, Spain which everyone warned us would be a furnace and wasn't so bad afterall. Amman, Jordan (and the Red sea on that part) which we knew would be hot but, again, wasn't so bad and even Istanbul and Asian part of Turkey). I suspect that Egypt may be our 'hottest' country but we'll wake early and rest in between and then go out toward the evening.

I'll read some other posts of people who just came back and soon as I get a chance but thanks!
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:46 AM

Sandi, I'm just curious as to where you've seen military in the street? You may have seen heavily armed police, but the military.
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:49 AM

I'd like to clarify my last comment, I meant in the US. I've also seen the military in Israel, France and Guatemala.
Old May 16th, 2011, 03:53 PM

The whole question/answer changes when you ask about taking yougish children. You have to consider them, their safety and their feelings. If they are afraid, you will all have a miserable time. As your relative says, wait til next year.
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:37 PM

I agree that Casual Cairo is one of the best people to advise you because, despite being a travel agent - which she really doesnt promote - she is actually living there as a foreign resident and so who better to give you on the ground information?

We went to Cairo in April, myself, DH, and DH's Cousin and wife, and I personally thought it was much better than before.

Not so much hassle at the airport, people were much more courteous to each other, and dare I say it even the drivers werent beeping their horns nearly as much. The amount of people who said to us "welcome to Egypt" was unbelievable, and my DH thought he was the bees knees when some people were shaking his hand and welcoming him. He felt like a film star!

We saw the army at places and we also saw the very small amount of police around the place. But again, knowing what the police were like under the regime, I personally thought it was a good thing that most of them were either gone, or were much more submissive. Previous trips to Cairo I saw the police acting like agressors many times, of course thinking they were immune to prosecution. - big mistake!

We went to one of the larger demostrations at Tahrir Square and were welcomed by many people there, as they were pleased that us foreigners were interested. Of course our Egyptologist came with us just to be sure that we were safe and well and didnt venture into anything that we shouldnt.

Of course we were gone by the time the Christian / Muslim situation came about, but Casual Cairo is right, from our experience as regular visitors to Egypt there is a lot of scaremongering and rumour.

That said, I would always be sure to check your foreign office website and make sure that you have travel insurance and cancellation insurance - just in case, but other than that I dont think you should be so worried about going to Egypt. - worse things happen in London, NYC, Miami etc.

From what I have been reading I think that in the main the situation will calm itself down, and I know that the Egyptian people in the main dont want this sort of situation to be arising as they value the foreign tourist and need them to ensure that the country can rebuild itself.

I think the worst thing that could happen to you is sunburn - having been in July myself before it was exceptionally hot. But your travel agent, if they are good, will make sure that you do most of your touring early to be sure that you are not in the mid-day sun too much.

And qwovadis - if you havent been lately, why you dissing those who have, or who live there.?

Ive now struck insuremytrip off my holiday insurance providers list

Scotsgirl
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:15 AM

alan43 -

I know the difference between heavily armed police and the guys in military fatigues* with "big" guns. Have seen both with their dogs!

*if they weren't the Army, for sure they were the National Guard... a soldier is a soldier... I didn't stop to ask!

Over the years since 9/11, I've seen the military at many heavily visited tourist areas, as in/around Times Square, bus and train terminals.

In fact, right after 9/11, the most surprising... tanks right outside my windows on the Upper East Side, rumbling up/down the streets. That was scary!
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:43 AM

<<<Of course our Egyptologist came with us>>>

Now THAT would have made me feel safer
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:11 PM

Went to Egypt for my honeymoon. It was Incredible. There were no issues whatsoever and we went all over: Cairo, Luxor, Edfu, Eswan, Abu Simbel, etc. I cancelled on tour because I was unsure of the social climate in Egypt, but after reading an article in the New York Times, I decided to go and it was the Right Decision. There tourists sport wereopen and the good part: There were no lines! If you have the opportunity to go, this would be a great time to do so... IMHO
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 06:15 PM

Do not go! My son is in Cairo now, trying to get out as are 1000's of others at the Cairo airport. 100 of 150 Cairo Air flights out have been cancelled. He has a scheduled flight and we do not know if he was able to get on it to leave. He's been in Egypt for less than a week. He's been assaulted, stolen from, lied to endlessly when he tries to get help and he's had diarrhea since the day he arrived due to unsanitary conditions everywhere. He's drinking only bottled water, yet he must eat, so he's very ill. The country is falling apart and about to become very violent again. Please do not take your children there or go yourself. Be smart.
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 06:44 PM

Why does this sound completely and utterly not believable?
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 09:09 PM

http://www.egyptadventureworld.com/e...ypt-cctv-news/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -