Search

Best place to stay at CApe TOwn

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best place to stay at CApe TOwn

Hello,

Before posting this message, I looked for a previous post but I didn't find any.

I am planning to spend 3 or 4 nights to Cape Town. Do you know a nice place to stay (something typical from Cape would be appreciated - not too expensive !!!).

Another question, I will rent a car. Is it possible to see a lot around the CAPE (even if you sleep every night in the CAPE).

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Olivier
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 11:33 AM

Went about four years ago and stayed at a fantastic place about 20 minutes outside Cape Town called Monkey Valley - about 12 thatched bungalows, very safe (quite an important consideration in SA) and a mile long white beach. In this sense it's typically 'Cape'.

From here (or Cape Town itself), there's piles to see within driving distance, including the winelands (Stellenbosch etc), which are an hour's drive away max, Boulder Beach (with hundreds of penguins) and other things I can't remember!
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Tignard,

Firstly it is possible for you to see the Cape Town region inclusive of its surrounds if you rent a car and use Cape Town as your homebase.

With the above said I dont want to run Mushed's idea down but if you stay in the Noordhoek area such as near Monkey Valley then you will not be well placed to see the Cape Town region thoroughly as it is rather out of the way relative to the city centre.

In terms of where to stay you have to tell us a little bit more as to:

1. When you are visiting us in Cape Town

2. What price level of accommodation you are looking

3. What type of accommodation will suit you. (Hotel, guesthouse, self catering etc etc)

If you respond accordingly I, and I am sute many other Fodorites, will pass on many ideas to you.

Look forward to your further information.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your prompt answer.

The answers are:

1. Mid august 04 and for four days
2. Between 400 and 800 rands
3. GuestHouse preferred.

I am looking forward to reading your posts.

Thanks,
Olivier
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 12:54 PM

Tignard,

May I suggest one of the following 2 Cape Town guesthouses:

Avanti
------

Great value for money and simply look at Peep's mail on this webpage to confirm this wonderful venue. www.avanti.co.za

Craigrownie Guesthouse
----------------------

In case Avanti cannot accmommodate your then please go take a look at Craigrownie Guesthouse at http://www.craigrowniehse.co.za/ My own personal opinion is that this is also a great guesthouse. Craigrownie is 75 yards away from the ocean and as well as the beachfront and even though it will be Winter I gain the impression that I might find you walking on the beachfront in the early morning. ) Craigrownie is around the corner from Avanti. The accommodation at Craigrownie is very good and the hosts at the guesthouse are always very friendly and helpful. Value for money is excellent too and it falls within your budget.

Hope this helps you enjoy our city even more.

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

And what about those guestHouse ?

http://www.bergzichtguesthouse.co.za/

http://www.leeuwenvoet.co.za/html/rates.shtml

Thanks,
Olivier

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 09:39 PM

Olivier,

If you want to stay on outskirts of the city then Leewenvoet and Bergzicht would be well postioned. I however believe the positions of Avanti or Craigrownie are better as they are close to the sea and relatively close to the city too. (Bergzicht and Leewenvoet are closer to the city than Avanti or Craigrownie)).

As far as Leeuwenvoet is concerned it is a very average guesthouse however there is nothing to fault about the venue.

Unfortunately I have never visited or had visitors staying at Bergzicht in the past so I cannot comment about this venue other than I know that if Leeuwenvoet are full the management recommend Bergzicht as an alternative place to stay. I think they do this purely because of the fact that both Leeuwenvoet and Bergzicht are close to one another.

If you want to stay at Leewenvoet or Bergzicht you might have intentions of wanting to walk into the city directly from your place of stay. This can be done from the aforesaid venues (30-40 minute walk) whereas in the case of Avanti or Craigrownie you would have to taxi into town (10 minute drive, however with that said may I remind you that in August it could well be raining and I am not sure if you will want to be doing all on foot.

Overall my opinion is that both Avanti and Craigrownie are:

1. Relatively close to the city and the seafront.

2. Charming places to stay where your hosts will help you with whatever you need.

3. Spotlessly clean and well run

4. Well priced in August

With the above said I suggest these venues.

Hope this helps.

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:52 AM

We are headed to Cape Town at the end of April. My daughter is a student for the semester at UCT. (She loves it and has already threatened to stay!) We want someplace that has a good connection to her part of town. Would Avanti or Craigietown work? I was also considering the Garden/Tamboerskloof part of town. We will rent a car while we are there.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 08:09 AM

Tobler,

I have had to do with many parents visiting their daughters or sons at UCT while they have been on a semester of training. What I have found best is (you might not like this suggestion) ask your daughter to find accommodation that is near to where she stays and that suits her. Trust me, as well as my wife who is a senior lecturer at UCT, on this one as we have seen many (too many)a fight between parent and child with regard to location selection done by the parent without consulting the daughter/son.

An example is that your daughter might be at UCT but Cape Town is a big place and for all I know she could be living very far from UCT. Furthermore the amount of time you will spend on the UCT campus will probably be miniscule so dont make this your base to want to stay around UNLESS your daughter wants you to do so.

Please trust me on this one as I have been down this road too many times.

Been there done that so this is just my twopence worth.

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 09:12 AM

Selwyn, I have to say you are a fabulous resource on South Africa.
My daughter is walking distance to UCT and I know she won't mind us nearby (fortunately, a close family with fabulous daughters) but she always leads a busy life and might not put too much time into where we get to stay. So that's why I've been trying to understand where things are and what might be a good choice. I love to be in a place that is a real neighborhood. I like to walk out the door and be in a community with real people shopping and living.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 01:50 PM

Tobler,

Relative to what you say Avanti and Craigrownie would not be where you would want to be staying imho. What I would suggest is you should go to http://www.villageandlife.com/dewaterkant/index.htm
and take a look at one of the very many cottages that Village and Life have to offer in De Waterkant area. They are all wonderful places to stay at and if you stay there you wll be on the edge of the city, right in the middle of where "people live" and also 10 minutes away from UCT by car.

Olivier, you should also take a look at these cottages as I have a feeling they will suit your needs too.

Hope this all helps.

Old Apr 25th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

Thnaks for your answer. I think that I will choose Avanti. We would like to rent a car. Is it a good place to leave the city. Do you know some good car rental company?

Thanks,
Olivier