Search

Durbanville--been there??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Durbanville--been there??

I found out our mission trip will be to Durbanville. If you've been there, let me know what to expect! Unfortunately most people have the image of Africa being a giant safari hunt--wide open desert space! I'm really looking forward to going, but at the same time as curious about the region. Some of the pictures on Google, etc. are beautiful!!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:03 AM

Durbanville as in "Northern Suburbs" of Cape Town?

What pictures are you looking at?
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 12:54 PM

TommyD,

From your previous mail I can deduct that you are speaking of Durbanville in the northern suburbs of Cape Town.

Durbanville is relatively far from Cape Town central (30 minutes away bt car)and if you are going to be staying in this suburb it would be advisable to hire a car. You will be relatively close to the Blouberg side of Cape Town where you can enjoy the beach (cold water) and some of the most wonderful views of Cape Town and Table Mountain.

Durbanville is developing into quite a wine region so that could also present you with some options.

If you stay in Durbanville you will be in an ideal position to travel to the Winelands of Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl.

I have to emphasize the importance of having a car as this will help you tremendously if you stay in Durbanville. Without a car or some sort of transport I feel that you might become bored with the little suburb.

In a previous mail of yours you asked the question "should I go"? My answer is ABSOLUTELY YES - YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY.

Enjoy your stay in Cape Town if you do make the journey.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Selwyn!!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 10:55 PM

Hi there, We moved to Durbanville almost 7 months ago and I am definately not sorry we did. It is a very peaceful suburb and yes indeed need your own transport to get to places. From Durbanville central you are also between 5 - 10 minutes away by car from two major Shopping Centres. Besides the wines there are also some good restuarants in the area.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the report, teejay! I'll be going to the South African Christian Mission, sometime next October. Looking forward to coming!!