Israel Trip - Very Early Planning Stage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2017, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

A typical trip for us to Europe involves anywhere from one to three bases, a few days in each base and a few day trips. The length of the trip is around two weeks.

We've never gone on a tour and have taken only one afternoon minivan tour.

Our typical day trips are the two of us taking a train to some city or town and either returning that evening or sleeping over.

Why do I think there's no such thing as an independent trip to Israel?

Please straighten me out on this very basic first step in planning.
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Israel is a very easy place to be an independent traveler. Many people speak English. Jerusalem and Tel Aviv easy to get around. Easy to rent a car and navigate highways. Israelis are big tourists in their own country so plenty of tourist facilities while you are out and about. We had a guide for 1/2 day in Jerusalem walking tour. And a taxi driver to take us 1/2 day to Bethlehem. Otherwise for nine days we were on our own. Easy. And one of the best of many trips we have had.
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 09:11 AM

<<<Why do I think there's no such thing as an independent trip to Israel?>>>

I don't know, why do you?

I was in Israel on my own this spring and it was completely wonderful. From there I went to Jordan for a short time, again mostly on my own, and it was lovely as well.

My trip was quite short, but it was very easy to plan and get around. I spent most of my time in Jerusalem, with a half day private tour in the city just to learn more about the old city itself. I joined a day tour to visit Bethlehem, Ramallah and Jericho and I then joined another day tour to visit Masada and the dead sea. I parted from that tour group (it was a van of people, not a huge group) and waited for the bus on the highway to head to Eilat. From there I went to Jordan for the rest of my time.

You can absolutely visit Israel entirely on your own!
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 11:58 AM

this post is very helpful.thank you laurie and IR for your comments. I feel more confident to set out to Israel on our own, just like we always do. our travel style are like the Myers' - independent, DIY as much as possible and middle of the road for budget with enough hilton hotel points and airline miles to burn.

we were originally going to join a catholic pilgrimage tour organized by chaplet tours. as i started reading up on Israel, i'm finding that there's so much more to see outside of the pilgrimage and religious aspect of the trip.

the reason why we were originally going to join the tour is because of unfounded and baseless safety concerns. ( i know, our impression of safety of travel to Israel is totally wrong ). but with what i'm reading so far and what other i've asked are saying, these safety concerns are totally unfounded !

we're looking forward to visiting Israel and Jordan sometime in mid to late February 2018.
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Ok. Thanks.

Now let's start getting braver.

A typical day on a trip starts with me going out around 7:30 and taking photos. Then around 9:00 I' back at the hotel to have breakfast with my wife and start our day.

We have not discussed (nor do we know) the places we'dd want to visit. However, I can guess that in a two week period we'd probably stay in three places, explore those places and go on a few day trips. I'm not sure how we'd get around yet since my wife has never wanted to rent a car in Europe (I realize this is not Europe but you get the idea).

Should there be any concern about me wandering around on my own taking photos early?
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

And purposely put this separate.

My wife spent about 5 minutes and did some internet searches on when is a good time to good.

I guess warm (not overly hot) and dry is what most people want.

How about the last half of May?

The next possibility could be late August to first week of September.

Thanks.
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 04:55 PM

I had a hotel right inside the Jaffa gate and wandered around late into the night without problems. Do be careful of course with that sort of thing... dark, very few people, tons of alleyways, etc can all increase your risk to be mugged but that's true anywhere. I happened to arrive late at night and followed tour groups into the church of the holy sepulchre in the middle of the night. It was awesome! I would have absolutely no concerns wandering around at 7am or even earlier.

I would suggest against a car within Jerusalem, simply because it seems like more of a headache than something useful. For between cities or on day trips, go for it if you want.

The forum over at tripadvisor is definitely more active than this one, do you might want to use both for ideas and suggestions.

I would not go in August due to temperatures, but I'm also a wimp about heat. Look at the average temps and make decisions on what is comfortable for you. If you're not entirely against it, I would suggest combining Israel with a short visit to Jordan depending on your interests. Petra is simply stunning and I never felt even remotely unsafe.
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Ok. Thanks.

Now let's get around.

We have always tried to get around by train on day trips or when changing locations.

Is this something that is done in Israel or is there some reason why not?

Thanks.
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 11:48 AM

<<< Is this something that is done in Israel or is there some reason why not?>>>

I don't remember trains being an option, but I had a short time. Figure out where you want to go and then figure out how to get between those places.
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 04:26 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Israel's train system is quite limited; it's such a small country that a car really makes the best sense.

Regarding time of year, it depends on your heat tolerance. Summer starts early and lasts a long time, and there are notable differences in the weather over a very short distance. It can be hot and humid in Tel Aviv, and less hot and much less humid in Jerusalem, 40 miles away (but higher in elevation.) And the same day can be blazing hot at the Dead Sea. Not knowing your own preferences, I'd suggest looking at spring or autumn, say April and October, or even the winter. We spent Christmas (in a year when Hanukkah was the same week) in the Galilee and the weather was San Francisco-perfect. The same week it was chilly at night in Jerusalem but warm in the days. No guarantees, but our preferences were for temperate over hot.

As for where to base, I'd look at Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and the Galilee, with a possible 4th base for a day or two in Eilat if you want real heat and desert, and also possible access to Petra or Red Sea activities.

In the Galilee I'd look at two candidate bases: Rosh Pina is beautiful and artsy, and provides good access to the Galilee and Golan, as well as decent day-trip access to the northern coast. Or in Tiberias, the main town on Lake Kinneret (Sea of Galilee) I'd also look at the Scots Hotel, operated by the Church of Scotland, a marvelous (non-Kosher) property overlooking the water - http://www.scotshotels.co.il/ . There are numerous Christian pilgrimage sites around the region, and just driving around in the winter and spring says everything you wanted to know about a land of milk and honey.

You can take day trips from Jerusalem in buses or small group tours of which there are many - the Dead Sea, Masada, and Bethlehem for example... A car in Jerusalem is a nuisance; use taxis or shoes. Similarly in Tel Aviv, a car can be a hindrance more than a benefit. But outside those towns the car is very valuable. The roads are good and well signposted, and the drivers, while sometimes given to a bit of Mediterranean assertiveness, are skilled and courteous for the most part. What the car gives you is an immediate appreciation for how small (and how varied) the region is, and how much history, life and meaning is squeezed into it.
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Ok. It appears there are day tours to most places.

How would I get from base to base without a car?

Thanks.
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 06:36 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>Ok. It appears there are day tours to most places.

How would I get from base to base without a car?</i>

If it was me I'd start in Tel Aviv without a car, then pick up one at the airport (which is on the main Tel Aviv-Jerusalem freeway) and use it to drive up to the Galilee. Keep it while you're touring about, then drop it back at the airport and head into Jerusalem. Here's information about getting to and from the airport - https://www.touristisrael.com/public...urion-airport/
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 02:10 PM

Hi,
My wife and I travel in Europe much the same as you.
Typically, 2 weeks and 4 destinations.
All independant travel.
I did go to Israel on a brief trip on my own 2 years ago, in early February. My wife was not able to take the time off work.
These are my observations.
Israel was a fabulous tourist destination.
I stayed the 6 nights in Jerusalem at the Abraham Hostel.
My own private room, so there is more than shared accomodation.
In any case, the location is close to the Old City, plus they have their own Abraham Tours desk plus free walking tours.
I did a Dead Sea tour through them plus another tour to the Sea of Galilee with a different company.
These were day tours.
There are so many options to travel in Israel.
Buses go all over, or the other day tours, or renting a car is easy, for what I was told.
In summary, I suggest just going to Israel and choose what you think is best. There are so many options.
I really liked it there, and would return in a heartbeat!
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Isn't it about a 2 hour drive from Jerusalem to the Sea of Galilee? Isn't that a bit much to drive there and back in a day?
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 03:46 PM

We are going for 2 weeks beginning next Friday. Here's our itinerary:

Arrive in Tel Aviv. Staying 3 nights. Hotel Lilie and Bloom. We made a reservation to go to the Palmach Museum. Taking a bus or taxi there. Our hotel is within walking distance of beaches, the Market and other sites.

Get a car. Rental is in the city; no need to go back to the airport. Very cheap!

Overnight in Akko with stops at Caesaria and Meggido and Bahai Gardens in Haifa.
Next morning a three hour private tour of Akko.

Up to Rosh Pina for 3 nights. Galilee/Golan Heights. Going to archeological sites and nature parks.
Then down to Dead Sea area. Two nights with time spent at Masada, Ein Gedi and the Sea of course.

To Jerusalem. Drop off car. Staying at the Hotel Harmony. Four nights and 4 1/2 days.

I can report back when we get home if you'd like. Our biggest planning problem was choosing what to see. There's so much!
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 03:49 PM

Just to be clear about my post above, we only get our car the morning we leave Tel Aviv, not while we're staying there. We'll use walking, buses and taxis while we're there.
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 05:16 AM

To clarify the car issue:

You do not need a car in Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem; it is a liability because of the parking and traffic problems. Public transport in these cities is good and taxis are inexpensive.

Other cities are easily accessed by train or bus, for example - Akko, Nazareth, Safed, Bet Shean, Mitzpe Ramon.

The problem begins when you want to go to many tourist sites and national parks in the Galilee, Golan and Negev. Bus service is either very infrequent or totally non-existent. That is why so many recommend renting a car for a few days when traveling in these areas. Alternatively, you can take group bus tours if that is your style. Look at the "Abraham Tours", "Egged Tours", "Rent-a-Guide", "Bein Harim", United Tours", etc, websites.

I recommend this non-commercial travel guide written by a frequent visitor to Israel as an aide to planning your itinerary:http://amateurtraveler.com/travel-gu...el%20guide.pdf
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 08:05 AM

just to reinforce: the bus system is vast, prompt and safe. there are also taxis, sheroots (group taxis that wait until they're full to depart) and also an uber-style ride program called "gett". there are trains but extremely limited. there are plenty of public places to park in tel aviv and very very few places in jerusalem and hotel parking can be prohibitive. jerusalem has a handy electric tram service as well. the cities are all very walkable and safe. every soldier on the street has a large gun, but there is very little violent crime at all.

on the subject of car rental. in israel you can return the car to any location without an extra cost - except to the airport which has a premium if it wasn't your point of rental. also, be forewarned, there is a law in israel that requires you to purchase the LDW insurance regardless of your own coverage. this cost $17/day and is not negotiable. my car rental was less than $5/day, but don't be fooled by ignoring the insurance. i really enjoyed having the freedom of a car to get between regions but it is not necessary. driving is on the same side as in america and roads are very well kept.

also - israel shuts down public transportation on the sabbath (shabbat is from friday sundown to saturday sundown). this means no busses, no trams, no trains.

i also abhor tours in general. this trip i was advised to book a tour to petra/wadi rum. this was excellent advice, although pricey. i think we could have done petra on our own (the site is huge and we walked 28,000 steps that day!), but you really want a jeep guide in wadi rum, which is quite spectacular and enormous in scope. i was there in september and october and the weather was absolutely perfect.

israel is a country full of travelers; tourists and citizens. it is easily experienced on your own. good job recognizing your preconceived notions and jettisoning them - part of experiencing other cultures and realizing how similar we all are. enjoy!
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 04:24 AM

We just came back from our trip to Israel. Great diverse country.

Our dates: October 27-November 10. The weather was fabulous. 70s and a bit hotter -80s - in the Dead Sea region. Can't imagine going in the summer.

Friendly, warm people. Go!