Search

Israel Trip Part 1

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2008, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Israel Trip Part 1

We began planning our trip in about February, when my husband, brother and Sister – in-law said they wanted to go and be there to celebrate Israel's 60th anniversary of statehood. Since I had promised that after our Africa trip we could go anywhere he wanted to go I said fine, and turned over the planning to the three of them. We had all been to Israel before, so decided to design our own trip, rather than book a tour.

As our dates were pretty locked in because we needed to be there for May 8th, Independence Day, our first task was to work on the airline reservations since we
Were all using miles so the phone calls began. We were using AE miles and they United so we began working in different directions. After many calls, Air Canada was able to book us on Luftansia to Frankfurt, but not in business class as we had wanted but in first class. Since this took many extra miles we decided to then buy coach tickets from Frankfurt to Tel Aviv. The only problem is that there are very few airlines except El Al that go directly there, and they were full. So now we buy tickets on Austrian air from Frankfurt to Vienna, and then Vienna to Tel Aviv. This actually did not turn out to badly as we were able to check our luggage all the way through and our layovers were pretty short. The only issue there was we were not able to get our boarding passes for Vienna, and Tel Aviv until we arrived at each airport, and this was somewhat of a challenge. We did make it , however, and arrived in Tel Aviv where we met up with my brother and sister-in-law. They had connected in London and their luggage did not arrive in Tel Aviv until the following night, but they were really good sports about it.

Our driver picked us up at the airport at about 1:30 am and took us to the Dan Panaroma Hotel. In the middle of the night after flying forever, we took whatever room they had, which was not to my liking. I immediately called the desk and they promised to change it in the morning which they did. Some of the rooms at the Dan have been re done and some not. The rooms were compact but definitely adequate. This is not a resort, and you do not spend to much time in the room. My biggest complaint was that the hairdryer was the weirdest I had ever seen, and not to effective. (Next time I will bring my own.)Also the front desk was not very efficient and we never got messages.

Got to the room and went to sleep with a plan to meet about 12:00 and walk into the Old City of Jerusalem. We got up, met and started to walk. Well naturally we took the longest route we could find, and kept saying we can see it, but never seemed to get closer. In the meantime everyone was hungry and cranky, so we started to look for someplace to eat. We stumbled upon a wonderful restaurant called Vino which was located in a little art area across from the Old City. After eating we all felt a little better and after much discussion on which way to walk found our way to the Jaffa Gate.

As we entered the gate an amazing feeling came over all of us, that we were really here, and being together was very special. Our goal for the day was to change some money and walk to the "Kotel", or The Western Wall, which is the western retaining wall of the Temple Mount, the one that was closest to the Holy of Holies when the Temple was built. We walked through the Armenian quarter, through cobble stoned streets until we reached the stairs that took us down to the plaza area. For anyone who has visited Israel, and the Wall you can understand the feeling that comes over you upon the first sighting. It is a very emotional experience.

We walked down the stairs to the plaza where we stood for a while and then separated. My sister-in-law and I went to the women's side and our spouses went to the men's side. In religious Jewish tradition, men and women pray separately, therefore there is a wall that separates the two sides. We walked to the wall where we stood and said a few prayers and found an English version for me. I am not religious but this experience was very powerful. Upon leaving, you walk backwards, which I do not know if this is tradition, but I assume it is a form of respect.

We spent a little more time and then headed back to the hotel where we cleaned up and went for dinner. We took a taxi to Ben Judea street which is the main walking street in Jerusalem where we window shopped a little and had dinner. (Restaurant info to follow later.) Then back to the hotel for much needed rest as our touring was to begin the next day.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

I am replying myself because nobody has read this yet. I know Israel is not as exciting as Africa, as you all know I still owe an Africa report. Should I continue to post Israel for the rest of the trip report or just jump back to doing Africa?
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 01:52 PM

spiegelcjs, there are certainly more posters on Africa than on Israel on this mixed "Africa & the Middle East" board, but many of us are interested in the Israel reports!

You should know that this post of your does not come up when you search Israel--perhaps you forgot to choose it when you posted it originally? That's why I (and maybe other people) didn't see it the first time around, but I did happened to notice your comments earlier today
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Please, please keep posting your report . . . I'm going July 8-23 and need all the info I can get.

Thanks for posting part 1, now to part 2, part 3, etc.

Sandy (in Denton)
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Ok now that my ego is repaired, I will continue. How do I repost so it comes up for Israel. I have only posted on this board for Africa.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

Israel Trip Report Part 2

Day 2
Today is the first day of touring with our guide Yanniv Bar.
He met us at the hotel and we spent some time going
Over the iteniary and making some changes. Naturally we had wanted to do way to many things in one day.

Interestingly one of the stops he had us drop was the visit to Mea Shearim the ultra orthodox area. He told us that vistors are no longer welcome there and since we had visited on a prior trip it was his rather infatic suggestion that we skip it.

Rather then give details on everything we saw I think the best is to say where we went and either a detail or highlight of the visit.

On day one we started at the Mount of Olives so that we could get a good perspective of the city. This was a big help because we could actually see where the city had been divided before 1948 , where Herod had actually build the city and how he decided on the spot where the Old City stands. It was a no mans land between the location of the 12 tribes, therefore, there would not be an favoritism shown. We were able to see all of the major sites of this city from this viewpoint. He pointed out Mt. Hertzel, Hadassah Hospital, Dome of the Rock etc.

From here we then traveled to the Supreme Court where we had a very interesting tour, and then on to the Kenesset. We had all been inside before so we just looked from across the street and again marveled at the wonderful Menorah (pictures to follow) that is now Israel's symbol.

We ended the day at the new Yad Vashem. Both my husband and I have been to Berlin and seen the Daniel Liebskin museum, as well as Washington at the Holocust Memorial and I personally liked the old Yad Vashem better. This is set up beautifully in the style of many of the new museums. You walk on a path that takes you from event to event. There is an amazing amount of information but it did not envoke the same emotional response as before. Additionally the eternal flame is behind locked doors and we could not get inside as there was a special service going on.

I would say that the most moving part of the New Yad Vashem is the children's memorial. This is not to be missed and I doubt there will be a dry eye in the place. We ended our day back at the hotel where we took a short rest before dinner.

Tonight was Yom Hazikeron and we decided to go back to the Kotel ( Western Wall) to watch the ceremony. However, the best laid plans, the guards were not allowing anyone in without a special pass. Although we thought we were very special, they did not, so off to eat. Always a good alternative.

Day 3
Today we spent the entire day in the Old City and the surrounding area. I am sure we walked at least 10 miles. Only kidding but it sure felt like it. We started outside the city gates and walked around to get a real feel for its size and the amazing architural feat it was to construct. We then went again to the Western Wall, where I could have gone everyday. There is so much feeling and emotion tied to this very small parcel of land. From the wall we entered the Rabbinical Tunnels. This area was excavitated and opened to the public in 1996 after many years. The entrance to the tunnel is adjacent to the Western Wall and the exit is in the Arab Quarter. When you exit there are armed Arab guards standing there with guns. It is peaceful and not threatening but you are definitely aware of your surroundings. It was at this spot that we stood, in the Arab Quarter, for the period of silence when the sirens are sounded all through Israel in memory of all the Israeli soilders that have lost their lives in the battle for freedom.

While inside you walk past an area the is considered to be the holiest of holies buecause it is a section of the first temple.Here sitting in almost complete darkness you will find women praying. This is a very sacred area that they are allowed to enter.

Later in the day we proceeded to the Davidson Center
Indeed, tireless archeological diggings have uncovered an astonishing wealth of artifacts related to the Temple Mount and dating back circa the time of the Second Temple. The result has been the construction of an archeological park (including the Davidson Center), the first of its kind in Israel, which is a tribute to centuries past. And while a visit to the Western Wall remains a staple of any tour to Israel,

an exploration of the Archeological Park is nearly as important and every bit as interesting.

At the end of the day we spent some time just wandering in the Jewish quarter, soaking up the sites and smells and wonderdering how it would have been living back in the days long ago when the first and second temples were build. By now we were really tired and decided to head back to the hotel and clean up for dinner,

Days 4-7 to follow