Search

israel touring reservations/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
israel touring reservations/suggestions

Hello,

My husband and I will be in Israel for about 2 weeks in May. Does anyone know how to make reservations for the Palmach Museum in Tel Aviv and the Western Wall Tour and the Knesset in Jerusalem?

Which of the Ministry of Defense museums in Tel Aviv besides the Palmach do you find interesting?

I am interesting in finding guided or self-guided walking tours of Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. We are going to take the Bahaus Center's tour in Tel Aviv. I understand that they have an Orange Trail Map.

We are touring the country part of the time on our own and part of the time with a guide/driver.

Thanks,

Bonnie
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 10:00 AM

You might have a look at these links:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...088010008.html (self-guided walking tour Jerusalem)

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...088020543.html (organized walking tours Jerusalem)

www.gemsinisrael.com (organized walking tours in Jerusalem and many other travel services)

I have these all on my list for our trip to Israel also in May.

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Do you need a reservation for Palmach Museum now? We were during Passover times (busy!) and just walked in.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

It seems that you do generally need a reservation for the Palmach and they tend to be booked "weeks in advance". Glad you were able to see it.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 03:16 PM
africnow

The Palmach Museum site in English is here:
http://tinyurl.com/oxyru

They don't seem to have an email address. I did find a snail mail address and a fax number for them on the site:

The Department of Museums, Ministry of Defense, Hakirya, Tel-Aviv, 64734. Tel. 03-6436393 Fax. 036436964

For the Knesset in English:
http://www.knesset.gov.il/

Knesset Session Times:
Monday - 16:00
Tuesday - 16:00
Wednesday - 11:00

The site for the Kotel (Western Wall) is: http://english.thekotel.org/

On Saturday's in Jerusalem, there aref ree tours run by the Muncipality. They leave at noon sharp from Yaffo Road oopposite Zion Square, one tour in English and a different one in Hebrew. The tours change every week, last about two hours, and are basically history/archaeology. They are listed in the "Capital Calender" column in the "In Jerusalem" supplement that comes with the Jerusalem Post if you buy it in Jerusalem on Fridays, or you can ask at the tourist office.

Telphone numbers:
(02) 675-3420
(02) 675-3416

Knesset Mailing Address:
The Knesset
HaKiryah
Jerusalem 91950

Old Apr 29th, 2006, 03:18 PM
africnow

Sorry - I accidentally pasted the Jlm walking tours in the middlle of the info about the Knesset. Skip down to find it.
I canonly plead the hours - it is 2 am here...

Old May 1st, 2006, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I now have tours scheduled for the Palmach and the Western Wall Tunnel Tour.

Does anyone know if it is possible to visit the Temple Mount and if so, the best way to do this?

Thanks,
Bonnie
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:38 PM
africnow

If you mean to actually go up into the square where the Dome of the Rock Mosque is located, then usually tourists are permitted in the morning hours on most days.

Never on Friday.

Also it can be closed without notice at any time. Worth your while to give it a try, but be aware that it may not work out.

The entry is from the Dung Gate - the same place you enter to go to the Kotel, but there is a ramp going upwards on your right as you approach the Kotel. Go up there and ask.

DO NOT carry any form of religious material with you. Bibles will be confiscated!

Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information! We leave tomorrow and I hope to help other travelers when we return.

Bonnie
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:19 AM
africnow

Welcome and have fun!