Israel - Holiday Itineray

Feb 10th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Israel - Holiday Itineray

Have just booked flights for a family holiday (wife and I + 3 teenagers) late July - early Aug. Grateful for comments on proposed itinerary

4 nights - Jerusalem. Pick up hire car last day
2 nights - Dead Sea (Ein Gedi)
4 nights - Galilee / Golan
1 nights - Haifa
2 nights Tel Aviv / depart
Thanks Jeremy
Feb 10th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Sounds like a good schedule. Perhaps 1 night at Dead Sea is enough - one day at Ein Gedi and 1 day at Massada. It is oppressively hot there in the summer. What are your interests: archeology, museums, holy sites, beaches, etc ?
Feb 10th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks. With teenagers we have to keep them active so a bit of everything !

Do you have any recommendations for mid range accommodation in

Jerusalem - Lutheran Guest House ?
Dead Sea - Enin Gedi Kibbutz / YHA ?
Galilee Area - Welcome sugestions

Perhaps we don't need car from Jerusalem to Dead Sea as could travel by bus but think we need one for N Israel part to allow us flexibility

Feb 12th, 2007, 10:30 AM

I would take the car to the Dead Sea also. Like I said, it is very hot and it is tiring waiting for busses, etc. Better to have the flexibility of the car. Also if you want to climb up Massada you should start VERY early.

I have been in quite a few Youth Hostels in Israel and all have high standards. Almost all have 'family rooms'. The one in Ein Gedi is supposed to be good.

You can check out their web site at http://www.youth-hostels.org.il/.

There is a nice hostel at Karei Deshe just north of Tiberius, for example.

Almost all of the kibbitzim and moshavim have rooms (zimmers). There are several web sites such as: http://www.zimmeril.com/
Rosh Pinna, Kfar Blum, Ginossar are very nice.

As for Jerusalem, you might want to check this one out: www.scotsguesthouse.com

I will be happy to answer any other questions. Hope I have been able to assist you.
Feb 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks indeed.

Could you confirm if it is permisseable to drive in the West Bank as this would reduce the journey time considerably from Dead Sea to Galilee ?

Jeremy
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Yes, you can drive up the Jordan Valley from Jericho to Bet Shean. Just be sure to follow the signs and check at the roadblocks that there are no problems - you don't want to accidentally go into the West Bank with yellow licence plates!

Recommended sites in the Bet Shean area are the excavations in the town and the Gan HaShelosha (Sakne) Park just to the west.

Look at this site for more details:
http://www.parks.org.il/ParksENG/

You can buy a "Green Card" ticket good for all national parks and nature reserves.
Feb 13th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks

Jeremy
Feb 13th, 2007, 11:10 AM

4 nights in Jerusalem may be too much, depending on your interests. Jerusalem to Ein Gedi is about an hour drive, so 2 nights their may also be too much, (if you have a car it could be a day trip from Jerusalem).I would transfer those nights to Tel Aviv or the north. In Tiberius the "Scots" hotel is fantastic, not your standard cookie cutter international brand, it has the best breakfast buffet I have ever had anywhere in the world, and it's not very expensive.
Feb 13th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks

Jeremy
Feb 13th, 2007, 01:40 PM

May I suggest for Galilee/Golan Fauzi Azar Inn in Nazareth. We stayed there in May 2006 and had a great stay and enjoyed Nazareth and surrounding areas with a car. Just google it. And did you see my post about FREE books? Just click on my screen name.
Feb 14th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks indeed for your tip. Much appreciated. I will give the books a miss as I seem to collect too many and my shelves are bulging ! Thanks anyway.

Jeremy
Feb 16th, 2007, 06:13 AM
eri

Jeremy,
Don't drive through the west bank!!! It may be permitted but, for sure, it is not wise!
While you will probably feel very safe here in Israel, there are some things that you should avoid. Driving through that road is one of them. Why endanger the family just so you could save a few hours?
Most Israelis don't even think going through any road of the west bank. I was born here in Israel 65 years ago. Believe me, I know what I am talking about.
Have a safe and nice trip.
Feb 16th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I agree that the West Bank will not now be on the itinerary. After the Dead Sea will loop back via Tel Aviv for a couple of nights stay en route for Galillee area.

Do you know Tel Aviv as I need some tips on where to stay etc?

Jeremy
Feb 16th, 2007, 10:13 AM
eri

What do you have in mind? Price? Location? Swimming pool?
Feb 17th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Hotel I am looking at as recommended in guide book and other travellers is Maxim Hotel,86 Hayarkon Street. It is reviewed as simple hotel,not to expensive, near the beach and with car patking facilities.

Feb 18th, 2007, 11:02 AM

The Maxim is well situated but I have never been in it. Friends stayed nearby at the Best Western and liked it. Other friends liked the Cinema Hotel in Dizengoff Circle but that is farther from the beach.
Feb 18th, 2007, 01:47 PM
eri

Maxim has a pretty good reputation. No pool but 1 block from the beach. If this is your price range try also Hotel de la Mer, which is about 3 blacks south of Maxim. You can read reviews on all Tel Aviv hotels on Tripadvisor.

Search this Thread