Israel alone ??? Dream or disaster?

Aug 17th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Israel alone ??? Dream or disaster?

I have had a dream to visit Israel forever and I usually travel alone?? I would like to stay in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.......is doing such a trip alone a bad idea??? This is really starting to gnaw at me actually. Secondarily, finding travel packages alone to Israel is proving to be very tricky..... could any kind sould help ME out on ANY information regarding Israel solo........thanks in advance
Aug 18th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Traveling alone in Israel is very easy. Frequent buses to most places (except on Saturdays), everybody speaks English and most signs are in Hebrew/English.

If you're worried about safety, pay attention (or avoid) public buses. But that means either driving or taxi rides. If you're planning to go outside Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, then a rental car is the best. Again, most road signs have English on them.
Aug 18th, 2004, 11:13 AM
sandi

A recent post listed the following website:

www.inisrael.com

check it out. Seems they can design an itinerary for you at any budget and then you'll know what you're getting ahead of time. They have itineraries, prices for hotels, car rentals, etc. In some instances you might get hit with the single supplement, but then maybe not, or you can try negotiating on this.

I am also certain they will be able to provide "Information You Should Have/Know" regarding safety and security. Otherwise, English is spoken throughout. Most all signs are in Hebrew, Arabic and English. So using common sense and knowing where you should or shouldn't travel, Israel is an easy country to travel on your own.

Aug 18th, 2004, 12:17 PM

You will have no problem travelling in Israel alone.
Aug 18th, 2004, 07:43 PM

A. You could join a group traveling to Israel.

B. Or, when in Israel, you can chose from quite a few selections of one-day, or more days guided tours, organized by the major bus companies like Egged, Dan and others.

But generally, there is no problem in traveling alone.

Just be advised, that, as in ANY Mediterranean country (and probably in other spots on the globe), lone women, on the beach, or in a bar, or in a park, tend to attract young males...

...Of course, if you're a male, just ignore the above paragraph.
Aug 19th, 2004, 07:50 PM

I went to Israel solo last year. It was great. I did join a tour from the states. We are actually planning a return trip this fall. Have researched many groups going within the next 6 months. Have found some very good prices. Let me know what you are looking for and will send you more details.
Aug 21st, 2004, 06:50 PM

My husband and I are considering a tour to Israel next summer and would love recommendations on tour groups. We are interested in a Jewish Tour focus for at least two weeks. Any recommendations would be helpful. We'd like to tour for atleast 10 days and then have a few days at Eilat before going home.
Aug 22nd, 2004, 05:21 AM
sandi

You can contact Isram Travel and Tours, located in NYC. They've been in business over 30-years, very reputable and offer options for accommodations in all price ranges. And they have some great add-on for time in Eilat.

Belive their site is:

www.isram.com

if not, a search will find them.

Oct 11th, 2004, 06:26 AM

Follow your dream!
Although Israel has the rare highly publicized terrorist incident, it has almost no street crime. I feel safer on the streets of my daughter's town than I do those of New York. Terrorist attacks within Israel itself as opposed to the territories, are down about 75%.
When I visit my daughter in Israel, I happily go rambling around on my own and love it, although I do not speak Hebrew.
If you like, I can get you the names of a couple of excellent private guides. The book "Footloose in Jerusalem" has wonderful walking tours if you want to stay independent.
Have a great time!

Mar 8th, 2005, 08:00 AM

My first trip to Israel was alone, and I had a wonderful experience. Look for the Harriet Greenberg book Israel On Your Own. It's dated (1994 for the second edition), but still has great info and itineraries. Also feel free to e-mail me and I will send you a travel guide I prepared from my trips (6 so far, with # 7 in May).

Good luck!

Search this Thread