Isn't this incredible................

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 08:45 AM
LizFrazier

Hey all-
If you want a good read and incredible photos, go to www.e-gnu.com, under Africa Safari News and Events on the main page, click on "Elephant Says Farewell to a Fallen Friend".
Beautiful shots and story. Also read the whole page of news. New flight from Nairobi to Capetown, Lions being driven to extinction. Good, good reports. Liz

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it is. I've watched a lot of docus on elephants and recall that when they come across even completely sun bleached bones they will often stop and sniff and pause as if to say goodbye - they clearly recognise the deceased even from the bones.

I didn't know lions hunted eles - perhaps this one was injured or ill.

Thanks
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 03:47 AM
sandi

Kavey - Lions don't necessarily "hunt" big ellees, as we've seen the lions disperse when the ellees come to the waterhole. However, lions are sneaky and do attempt to weed out the baby ellees by "spraying - marking" the little ones will urine.

Once this is accomplished, and the mother and other family members smell the urine they unfortunately no longer protect the baby, in fact, eliminate the little one from the pack - and the lions have lunch!

Sad, but it's the way it is on the plains.

Old Sep 20th, 2003, 03:54 PM

I've been watching LOTS of Africa-based wildlife documentaries today. I especially enjoyed one called George and the Rhino (about a Malawian working in Pilanesberg and his relationship with a particular rhino who is transferred to a sanctuary in Malawi, the first to be flown there as part of a reintroduction and conservation scheme). Also loved one called Big Cat Challenge which contrasted the survival tactics and successes of cheetah, lion and leopard. I didn't learn anything new but did enjoy the wonderful footage. And lots of others.

We recently signed up for Sky+ (pretty much a propriety TIVO service) which allows me to select in advance which programs to record. It's proving to be a great success in increasing my chances of catching the really excellent range of wildlife programs.

Only trouble is that there are so many I really want to be able to watch again that we're down to 10% free space on the recording thingy and have to figure out a way (quickly) to copy the stuff I want to save off the box and onto regular video tapes!

Old Sep 20th, 2003, 05:43 PM
LizFrazier

Kavey- Thanks for sharing. A good day is when you get to see a show on Africa. I just finished reading Clematis' wonderful trip report(so far). What an excellent document, so well told. A real pleasure to remind me and my husband of our first trip to South Africa, specifically Botswana. Pure joy. Liz
What I liked about the e-gnu report was the incredible pictures someone got. I really love the scenery at Savuti, and I was thrilled when I saw it. Small pleasures.

Old Sep 20th, 2003, 06:17 PM

Kavey: I'm incredibly jealous ... it seems those of you "across the pond" get more shows about African wildlife. Even though my television set always seemed tuned to Animal Planet - or at least my husband complains that it is - I haven't seen the shows you just mentioned. :'(

Liz: I am still going to sign your photo album ... how can I not since you went to all that trouble to touch my bottom??? In the meantime, thanks so much for pointing out the aforementioned website. I am happy to see that your recent trip did not make you null and void to the wonders of Africa!
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 03:51 AM
sandi

SusanLynn - I too love what we get here from the BBC - regular programing and their animal programs.

We do, however, have some wonderful programs on PBS, Discovery and National Geographic. Only last week Discover ran a program "Living with Tigers" - how John Varty (might be a member of the Varty family that owns Londolozi) wishing to increase number of Tigers which ae near extinction in India.

Along with a Canadian Vet and a pair of tiger cubs, set up a camp originally in the Phinda area to teach them to hunt, kill and learn to eat what they kill. Once this is accomplished they hope to be able to produce healthy new tiger cubs that can grow and learn in Africa to be tigers - then transported to India. Absolutely amazing to see the time and effort put in by these 2 men with the tigers.

And Nat'l Geo/Xtreme Adventure on MSNBC had a program on Leopards being raised aqd cared for in Namibia.

You've got to your attention focused on these animal programs, but they are my favorites.

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 04:16 AM

Hi Sandi!

Yes, I saw on the Discovery channel "Living With Tigers" program. (Loved the footage of the tigers hunting and making multiple kills once they got the hang of it.) I think it is an interesting idea and if it works, it will be wonderful for the tiger population. Even though the land is enclosed, I can't help but wonder about interbreeding with lions - should the two meet. I am not sure I liked the idea of them eventually opening the land to tourists, however. And yes, National Geographic and Animal Planet have some wonderful programs, but not the same magnitude as the BBC. I think documentaries are much more popular elsewhere as far as them being televised, IMO.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 05:10 AM
LizFrazier

SusanLynne-
What does this mean: "I am happy to see that your recent trip did not make you null and void to the wonders of Africa".
I just can't imagine what that means. Thanks for clarifying. Liz

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 10:42 AM

Liz, thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. The best parts are yet to come as we had our finest animal sitings at our last camp. SusanL, Sandi, Kav, on the subject of Africa in the media, I flipped through a copy of a magazine yesterday because it said, "the best South African Spas" which of course is funny because that's not why one goes to Africa but whatever gets people there... Anyway, inside it had a long article with Singita and 2 others, with lots of photos. It was either Spa Finder or Best Spas (or..?).
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 11:54 AM
sandi

SusanLynn -

I too have a problem with lions and tigers mating - kind of defeating the purpose of repopulating tigers. As far as opening up the area to tourists - I'm kind of conflicted, as in many similar cases (Silverbacks in Central Africa)it's when tourists come in, then so does money and a better understanding as to why we have to preserve these animals and their habitates. But, I'm no expert, so I think the Africa Tiger project has a ways to go till such a decision is made.

As far as the quality of documentaries here vs the UK (France, Australia, etc) - more programs are produced abroad, thankfully. A whole lot better than most of the pablum seen on regular broadcasting stateside. If not for PBS, Discovery, Natl Geographic my TV would probably never be turned on.

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 11:57 AM
sandi

Clematis - Yes, waiting for the next section of your trip report.

As to spas, I would have to agree re "best spas in Africa"???? Unfortunately, didn't have enough time to take advantage of a "spa experience" at Singita, so maybe next time.

Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 12:10 AM

Other than some (wonderful) Attenborough stuff on terrestrial channels (mostly beeb) it's all been on National Geographic, Discovery and Animal Planet channels... so you should be able to get them, I'd have thought.

I have been taping them but all on UK tapes.

Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 04:34 AM

Hi Liz: Only meant that since you had been to Kenya five times and other African countries as well that I think it is wonderful you still have a yearning to go (maybe not Kenya, but other countries), you still maintain an interest in visiting Africa-related websites, etc. I can't tell you how many times I have heard from people "Yeah, we've been to 'so and so' already, so why should we go back?" Please be assured I did not mean anything disparaging, instead I was delighted that after your recent trip you are still flipping through Africa websites. Sandi, I am in the same boat as you as far as my TV being on. Animal Planet, Discovery and MSNBC (where I find the National Geographic shows) and sometimes the Travel Channel are the only reason I put our television on. As far as spas, the Travel Channel did a piece last year on how popular the nip & tuck safaris are getting. Go to South Africa for a facelift (or other plastic surgery for significantly less than the price in the US) and while recuperating, go on safari. They even showed how people take photographs while on safari, all the while carefully covering their faces so when they return home and show photos that people don't see the bandages and say, "Wow! That trip must have really agreed with you - you look so much better!" Not my idea of a fun time, but, hey, if that is what people want to do, live and let live.
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:49 PM
sandi

SusanLynn -

Since our cable company went digital (2-3 yrs.ago - and I declined) I no longer get the Travel Channel, but Nat'l Geo has their own which is great (they also do a program on Medicines sans Frontiers [Wed, 9pm] which is excellent), though also get Nat'l Geo on MSNBC and Nature comes in on the PBS channel.

Like Liz, I don't believe I'll ever get bored with Africa and am very very disappointed we had to postpone this years' trip (Botswana and Namibia). This is probably the only destination one won't hear from my lips "been there, done that" - there are just so many destinations in Africa and I definitely hope to return to Kenya. I truly believe "you fall in love with your first safari country" and for me it was Kenya, though love takes nothing away from other countries.

As to the Nip/Tuck Safaris (by the way have you seen Nip/Tuck on FX, Tuesdays at 10pm - came upon this about 6-wks ago and it's a hoot!) There are loads of cosmetic surgeons with websites re cosmetic surgery in SA. Prices are amazing, physicians are excellent, private hospitals/clinics are outstanding and safari as a sideline is always an option after a facelift, but I wouldn't recommend it after someone had lipo, unless you have 3-4 weeks to spend.

The only disadvantage for Americans, who are so litigeous, the doctors are no longer covered by their insurance companies if operating on Americans. Americans have to sign a waiver "not to sue" (and understand the Brits will soon have to sign, as well); the good thing though is that the prices didn't increase - still low - $2,000-$2,500 for a facelift!

And Selwyn's "special place" near CPT would be a wonderful for a group of women to "hang" while recouperating!!!

But we've gotton off the topic - this really should be a separate thread. Isn't it wonderful to see how well versed we all are on such a wide array of subjects! LOL!

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 01:44 PM

Wildlife documentary addicts, unite!

My fiance & I enjoyed "George & the Rhino" too. We have recently become enamored of a series called "Champions of the Wild" which I believe is produced in Canada & looks like it was originally made to air in schools or something. It airs on Animal Planet. Each episode features a different person who has dedicated his or her life to protecting a particular threatened animal species. We Tivo every episode -- this week we saw one on Bonobos which was astounding. The only problem with the show is that it's too short.

The best wildlife show ever is "Living Edens" but it doesn't seem to air in my area any more, sadly.