HELP!! A Wedding Gift!!

Sep 4th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

HELP!! A Wedding Gift!!

OK this isn't your everyday travel question but I'm sure hoping someone out there can help. My husband and I are leaving soon for a guided tour in Egypt. While in Cairo, we have been invited to dinner by a newly married couple that my husband met on his last trip there (we had offered to take THEM to dinner but they insist the WE must be THEIR guests in their home). We need a wedding gift!! Any ideas out there as to what a young Egyptian couple might want from the good ole' USA?? Please help a fellow Fordorite!!
Sep 5th, 2003, 05:26 AM
LstFltOut

Why not a special celebratory champagne - it needn't be a US product. And take a beautiful bouquet of flowers, and a card.

Sep 5th, 2003, 08:37 AM

Flowers and a card are a great idea.

But if the Egyptian couple is Muslim, a bottle of champagne (or any other alcoholic beverage) may not be appropriate.

If you are feeling extravagant, how about a beautifully made photo album?
Or something from your home state: candy or a canned/ jarred food product common to your state.
If you know their musical tastes, CDs are popular (and will play in Cairo). Or a small calendar with pics from your state.

Just some thoughts...
Sep 5th, 2003, 09:03 AM

My husband and I are recently married, and although we don't live in Egypt (and tastes differ around the world) some of my favorite easily transportable gifts included a handmade blanket, a crystal vase, a painted plate (from a Turkish friend) and a clock. Perhaps you can visit an artisan or shop in your hometown to find something handmade that won't weigh down your luggage.
Sep 15th, 2003, 04:01 AM

i agree with queenie in her opinion,, don't offer wine,u can give them, candy, beautiful vase or a unique carpet or blanket
Sep 25th, 2003, 01:52 PM

I have found that a picture frame makes a lovely wedding gift that most newlyweds really appreciate, and since frames are available in so many sizes, shapes, styles, materials (local hardwoods, stone, silver, other metals, glass, crystal, etc.), and price ranges, you can almost always find something that will suit. Plus, they are relatively easy to pack since they are flat.

Search this Thread