unmarried traveling companions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to Egypt in the fall and was wondering if anyone can tell me if there are problems with an unmarried couple that is traveling together, staying together in hotels.
Thank you for any info on the subject
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 03:17 AM
sandi

LauraE -

None. Have never had and issue or problem traveling with a companion of the opposite sex (boyfriend, live-in, fiance, etc.) in any country. But you do register at hotels with your own names, that match our passports. And we know it's not unusual even for married people to have different last names. No need to register at Mr. & Mrs.

The only suggestion I would make is that there be no display of affection - handholding, kissing - especially in public. And this would be true even for married people. It's just not done or seen in Muslim countries, it's saved for behind closed doors.

No one is likely to even ask your status. If it will make you feel more comfortable you can always wear a simple gold ring on your wedding ring finger.

So go and enjoy your holiday. Egypt is a wonderful country to visit.

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:07 AM

Laura,
my husband and I went to iran last year...we have different names and had no evidence of our marriage and there was no problem...if it isn't a problem in iran I don't think it would be a problem in somewhere like Egypt.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 10:58 AM

Same answer - just another vote. Husband and I have different last names - no proof of relationship and no one cared. Had heard it was a good idea to wear a wedding band in Egypt to avoid being hassled. I often don't wear mine (allergies - hand swells) but bought a cheap band to wear on the trip. No difference in reaction of others when I wore it or when I didn't.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 11:44 AM

You will feel more comfortable and gain more respect if you travel as "husband and wife". Egyptian wives don't necessarily change to their husbands last name after marriage, so having a different last name from each other will not matter in the least. No one would ever ask for "proof", the Egyptian people are way too polite for that!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 09:01 AM

I'm just back from a trip to Cairo with my brother, and it was assumed we were married almost everywhere we went. Often reference was made to 'your husband' or 'your wife', and we sometimes corrected, other times not. On the one occasion where I felt slightly hassled by a man, as soon as my brother walked over, the man said 'sorry, your husband'. So, I guess, in answer to your question - no problems for us seeming to be an unmarried couple, in fact it was the opposite, with assumption of marriage all over the place.
Enjoy!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:34 PM

I am astounded that anyone would ask this question in this day and age. Are you kidding me!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 02:52 PM

PG, the day and age have different meanings in different countries, that's why we travel: to learn!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

The reason I had asked the question was, when I've traveled in Egypt in the past. the hotels would not let a male business associate come to my room, even when we were carrying heavey parcels up 2 flights of stairs to my room. I thought it might be because he is Egyptian and they were "protecting" me, but I also was almost thrown out of a hotel when my American male friend tried to help me carry heavey items to my room. I had a small import business at the time, and would buy lots of samples to take home with me. I guess it was because I wasn't registed with anyone.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 05:19 PM

I dont know when you had these experiences but that is not the egypt i traveled in. What kind of hotels were you staying in.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

My first trip was in 1988 and my last trip in 1998. I usually stayed in the less expensive places. I never felt I could spend a lot on hotels since I was on a buying trip and needed to spend my money on merchandise. Although, I did stay at Shepheards in Cairo and the Savoy in Luxor. But 5 years can make a big difference. Not to mention being registed in the same room I would think.
Where do you stay? I don't want to spend a lot since I want to do as much as possible. ie the Nile cruise I never went on and the hotair balloon in Luxor that I never had the money for (this is not a buying trip)
Any info is appreciated
Thanks

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:41 AM

We stayed at 4 seasons cairo, old winter palace in luxor. It seems strange that you were not allowed to have any guest you choose in your room. we went in 2002 so maybe things have loosened up since your last trip. happy travels!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 12:52 PM
sandi

I rather appreciate the fact that the hotel was in their way looking out for the safety of their guest, especially a woman traveling alone. To our way of thinking it was probably the most innocent of situations having a male co-worker help you, but the hotel had no idea who this person was.

I hope that the hotel suggested one of their porters assist you. Maybe they were looking for their staff person to get a tip?

When you think of it, women who travel think of safety, first - away from elevators, not mentioning their room numbers, even special floors for women only (in major hotels chains), providing special "female items" - haiblowers, magnifying mirrors, etc. And appreciate that management is keeping an eye out for any potential problems.

So I can't object all that much that the hotel might have simply been cautious. I'd hate to think what this thread would sound like, if anything untoward had happened had this co-worker had been allowed up to your room. Had there been an incident, it's the hotel that would be sued. Guess it comes down to "when in Rome, do as the Egyptians prefer."

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 12:58 PM

The difference in this situation is that Laura was standing next to the person she wanted to allow up to HER room.It is not like he was requesting access unannounced.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Since I have traveled to Egypt over a period of 10 years, and noticed lots of changes (many to the good, but not all) I'm sure that in the last 5 years I will notice a lot more changes. I'm really looking forward to it. In fact after typing in my responce last night before bed I pleasantly had dreams of temples and pyramids. And the little bit of Arabic I learned is coming back to me. It's like going home. Guess I'm getting my money's worth out of the trip before going.