Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is Tarangire N.P worth a visit in early March?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 03:47 AM
Martha

I'd like to hear from anyone who's been visiting Tarangire N.P in Tanzania recently. <BR>We are planning a safari for the first week of March and have had conflicting advice on whether to include Tarangire or not. March is obviously not the best time for Tarangire but is it worth the visit anyway? One operator told us that there were a few elephants,a lot of tsetse flies,too long grass and not much else. Is that the case?

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 04:09 AM
PK

I have a similar question regarding visiting Tarangire in January. I heard and read that it could be too wet.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 05:33 AM
Bert

Practically all the big game migrates out of Tarangire in the wet season. I was there in March 2000 and saw mostly grass and some nice baobab trees... A few scattered elephants, some giraffe, and a smattering of other plains game. <BR> <BR>Bert <BR>Houston, TX

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Martha

Bert,did you visit Lake Manyara on the same trip? Would you say Lake Manyara is a better option,or is Tarangire interesting despite the lack of game? <BR>Or are we better off adding another night in the Serengeti?(we're camping two nights and staying at Ndutu lodge 1 night and then we also visit Ngorongoro)

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Bert

I would say rather add another night in the Serengeti. I did visit Lake Manyara on the same trip, stayed at the Serena Lodge which I thought was very nice, good location & first class hospitality, food etc. However the game-viewing in Lake Manyara N.P. was just so-so, the reserve was still feeling the after effects of the El Nino of several years ago. The lake had 'reclaimed' a large part of the reserve, engulfing the well-known hippo pool amongst others. Perhaps Lake Manyara NP will be better now, a year later.