Fay, please post your trip report from Tanzania

Feb 9th, 2001, 01:59 AM
Tamara

Fay, please post your trip report from Tanzania

Please Fay. We are planning our trip to Kenya and Tanzania next January. Any first hand information is great. I bet that other people will be eager to find out about your experinces too. Was this your first safari?

Feb 12th, 2001, 02:56 PM
Fay

Hi Tamra, We had a great it was our first trip to Africa, but its like a great movie you only want to watch it once. We took my mother-in-law she is 74, so we had to be careful. She did great. Tanzania is one of the wonders of the world. January was a good month to go, the weather was rainy but for the most part good. We started at Arush and took a plane over to the west,and drove back,staying three nights at each stop or camp. The crater was cold and damp but the wildlife was great. Our lodge at the N.Crater Conservation Lodge was worth seeing I would do the trip again just to stay there. Our tour company was great, he was very interested in making sure we saw it all and stayed safe in the process. We stayed well for the most part, my husband did have stomach problems but managed. Take lots of pepto and what ever you do not drink the water or drink a bottle with a broken seal. KLM airlines is the pits they lost my luggage the first day. We checked our carry on at the door of the plane and they still lost it or was stolen. This proves that you can manage with half of what you plan to wear. The people of Tanzania are very friendly and seem to be honest we did not have any peoblems but did not give them much of a chance, watched our things and did not leave things in out rooms. When you fly over stay the night.If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them.

Fay

Feb 12th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Fay

Tamara, just one more thing I would leave out Kenya and stay in Tanzania less tourist and more animals. Also leave out Zanzibar, we all most booked but it added to many days to our trip. We talked to a family that went and they told us it was not safe and that it was so hot thet just stayed in the room.

Fay

Feb 13th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Tamara

Thank you Fay for your reply. To answer your suggestions: we have no desire to go to Zanzibar as we will be visiting Madagascar after Safari. We heard and read on this forum many wonderful things about Zanzibar. We previously visited Kenya and for some hidden sentimental reasons we feel we need to return there.
Now my questions. Did you fly from Arusha to Serengeti? What lodge did you stay in? Tell me more about it, please. What about accommodation there, meals, guides, game viewing, guides. Did you go on a private safari. Was it expensive comparing to similar tours offered by Abercrombie & Kent for instance? Did you drive from Serengeti to Ngorongoro Crater? What animals did you see in both places? What animals you did not see? What about birds? Did you see a large variety of birds? Did you take many pictures? Thanks again
Tamara

Feb 15th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Fay

Hi Tamara. To answer your your questions. Yes we did fly from Arusha and I am glad we did. I could not have taken the road trip, the roads are in bad shape it took all we had to drive the distance we did. It was a small plane out of Arusha it took about 3 hours, it was nice to see from the air what we were going to drive later. We stayed three nights at each place. I so suggest that you do that because you are so tired from safari that you do not want to spend all your time packing and unpacking. The first was the Serena lodge it was nice the food was all buffet(do not eat the meat) but we liked being able to choose our food. The wildlife was good here because of the migration saw lots of zebra,gazelle,cheeta,lyons my mother-in-law and husband are big on birds they detailed 150 different birds. The color of the birds we saw was like no other place.Watch you things wear your money at all times do not drink the water at all. The second place was a tented camp it was my least favorit to many T. flies they bit us and they are every were. It was Kiwaria tented camp. My husband is a doctor they sent out 15 staff with typhoid they made them pay for drinking water, they took good care of the guest. The last camp was the best it was at the N. Crater it is called the N.Conservation Lodge. Words can not explain this place you just have to go if you can ( let me know what you think if you do go). Our safari guide company was great I have used them before for the Galapagis Islands and Costa Rica. I use an eco company out of Ca. Forum International they only book off the beaten track trips. They have always treated us with only professionalism. Our guide made sure we saw the big five and he new alot of the birds. The food in the other lodges was great. My husband is not used to such rich food he did get stomach upset the last two days. The Crater was cool you will need long sleeves. The animals are not what you think, you do have to watch for them. We saw three differnt monekys,lyons and cubs, elephant only male in the crater. The flamigos at the Soda lake was great hundreds. I took 12 rolls of flim and it was just right for the 10 days. We did drive from the crater to Arusha, I wisk we had taken a plane, the trip was long and hard. If you want more detail on our lodges e-mail me and I will forward a webb sight. ([email protected])

Forum International saved us alot of money. A&kent was at the same lodges looking at the same animals and I am sure you could not have found a better guide. I checked out their prices and we saved alot.

Fay

Search this Thread