Is August too HOT for Egypt?

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is August too HOT for Egypt?

Hi,

My family and I are thinking of visiting Egypt next month and we are wondering if it will be too hot? We are planning on visiting Cairo, Luxor and Aswan doing both cruises and land tour.

Any body who has been to Egypt during August please kindly give advice on the weather. If it will be too hot we can go in April 04 instead.

Thanks in advance,

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 10:18 AM

My first visit to Egypt was in August, and coincided with a business trip (so I was unable to select my month of travel). Cairo was tolerable, and even Luxor and the Valley of the Kings were OK during the morning and late afternoon, but it was a bit hot during mid-day. The heat, though, keeps many visitors away and I was happy to trade heat for access (I had no problem getting tix for the tombs I wanted to visit or getting into the pyramids, for example). Its hot, but its really up to you whether you can tolerate the heat.
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 11:27 AM
sandi

August is Hot, though Cairo, surprisingly can be tolerable.

We visited end-October and it was still Hot, very much so the further south you travel (getting closer to Equator) - i.e., Abu Simbel, Aswan and Luxor. The very early morning (6:00am) we visited the Valley of Kings/Queens by 9am was over 100 and we were out of there; though the temps actually can drop 30 to 40 degrees at night, so you need a wrap or light jacket.

Regardless, you will be in an air conditioned hotel, van or bus, and you'll have plenty of water to drink. Most touring is scheduled for early in morning or later in afternoon (after 4pm) and during the heat of the day on the cruise you're on the boat which has a small pool, or you can sleep in your a/c cabin.

You dress in clothing for hot weather - shorts and T-shirts on cruise during day and nice casual for evening. While in Cairo, shorts & t-shirts are fine out at the Pyramids, Sphinx, Memphis, Sakkara and at your hotel. However, when you visit the Bazaar and sites in Cairo proper including mosques, you should have on long pants and at least 3/4 sleeves. And there are enough places where you can find shade and even a/c. Do have a comfortable pair of walking shoes for time out on tour.

As to traveling in April instead, if I recall correctly, there are often sand storms this time and you have to keep a bandana handy at all times.

But as they say about the SW US (Arizona, Nevada) "it's dry heat"!

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 01:58 PM

We went April 2001. Egypt was the hottest place I have ever been. It must be really hot in August! That said, we saw most sites early AM, drank lots of water - and the Nile cruise boat always had refrigerated towels ready for us when we re-boarded! Had an incredible time and hope you do to.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 12:08 PM

Won't try to fool you because it is BLISTERING hot in Egypt in August. We were there last July --- temps ranged from mid-90s in Cairo to the 118 to 120 range in Upper (southern) Egpyt. Like the previous posters mentioned, however, there are plenty of ways of coping with the heat. Follow those suggestions and be prepared and you'll be fine. By the way, we took folding/collapsable umbrellas with us and found them to be particularly helpful, especially at the historic sites. Any temperature we encountered seemed much more tolerable if we were shaded under our umbrellas. David.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:48 PM

In January it was already pretty hot for me in Luxor and Aswan, I can't imagine going mid-summer, and i lived in Arizona for 11 years...
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 03:03 PM

Hell cannot be hotter than Egypt in August.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:42 AM

cairo is not very hot at that time, luxor and aswan is somehow hot but sharm is wonderful at that time
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:59 AM

Its very hot there is no air con in the museum and when we parked by the piramids I could'nt get of the coach it was so hot - dry heat no breeze!