Insurance again - I'm guilty.......

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

of giving advice and not thoroughly reading my own trip policies. I spent part of the weekend studying emergency evacuation coverage and discovered that most trip insurance, no matter if the coverage might be up to $500,000, only cover transportation to the nearest suitable hospital. A few offer $5,000 for a plane fare home after treatment. I have several friends who have had problems and one the expense was $70,000 to be brought home to the western U.S. He was in a coma after an auto accident in New Zealand. I also used the question facility at "insuremytrip" and was answered very promptly that MedJet Assistance was the only insurance offering repatriation home of those checked for just evacuation coverage. If this at all concerns you, check out the article at http://www.usatoday.com/travel/colum...ncatelli_x.htm. I feel like such a dummy but all is well now and I feel more comfortable with my new MedJet coverage.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 04:34 AM
sandi

Louise, you're not guilty... you just read all the fine print of the policies and determined what is best for you; that's what everyone has to do.

You're absolutely correct when it comes to the Comprehensive policies - only to the "nearest suitable hospital." That is unless there are such unforeseen circumstances that the insurance will get you back to your home hospital.

In our investigation we found that a Medical policy along with an Evacuation policy work well... and MedJet is the best on the latter. And instead of purchasing MedJet as a one-time only, the annual fee is minimal and serves well when back in the States. Since most of us have our belongings covered by homeowner/renters insurance, bag loss or delay is an annoyance, but not necessarily a catastrophe... of course, depending on where you're traveling. But the Medical only plans do cover cancellation (for defined reasons), and baggage (at minimum).

Bye the way... the link didn't work.

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Sandi - don't know why the link didn't work. It appears to me to be correct. I originally just went to USAToday Travel and typed in "trip insurance" in the search box. I did purchase MedJet for a year as I have two trips coming up.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 11:51 AM

Louise

I think that Amex Platinum covers repatriation when you are more than 100 miles from home anywhere in the world. But I haven't looked at Med Jet which might be cheaper than the annual fee.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:39 PM
sandi

Louise - Tried the link again, and it worked. This morning the message was "article no longer available." Just the kinks of cyberworld.

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Sandi - try the long way on the USAtoday website - travel and typing in trip insurance. I just tried it and it worked.