Search

Information on Cairo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Information on Cairo

I'm planning to fly from London to Cairo. Here are a few of my questions:

- Im from Venezuela, does everyone needs a Visa? If so, should I get it at the airport?
- Hotels, looking for a $75-$80 range hotel in Cairo on a good location. Any recommended?
-Do you need a guide or you can figured it out by your own?
- Top five must see places in Cairo.
- Average price for a restaurant meal.

Thanks so much,

Juan

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:05 AM

Can help you only partially, I'm afraid. I stayed with friends in Cairo, so don't know about hotel rates, or restaurant prices.

You don't really need a guide - you could just buy a city map / guide book and use the cabs / metro like we did.

Top 5 must see places in Cairo

1. The Pyramids at Giza - I don't know how much time you have, but at least 2 visits recommended. One at sunrise - go early if you want to enter the Pyramids; and one at sunset for the Sound and Light show.

2. The Egyptian Museum - to see the mummy of Rameses, artefacts from King Tutankhamun's tomb and other exhibits

3. Late evenings at the Khan el Khalili - where you can choose from various flavoured shishas (hookahs) and tea

4. Strolling along the Nile corniche after sunset

5. The Mosque and other Islamic architecture in the old part of the city
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:07 AM

Bet sandi can add much more on Cairo. Its been over 3 years since I went to Egypt and my memory is a bit rusty...
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 02:15 PM
sandi

freddy123 - I haven't been since '99, but I have a good memory. lol!

Obijuan - re the visa, check with the Egyptian Embassy in your country, or wherever - their official website, to determine whether those carrying a Venezuelian passport require a visa.

The five items on the list are great, but would add:

1) The bazaar during the day is also quite interesting and very crowded.

2) Though not in Cairo proper, you can still arrange to go out to Saqqara to see the Step Pyramind and there are some tombs on that site as well.

3) And while visiting the Pyramids at Giza, don't forget the "big guy" - the Sphinx - can't miss him.

4) Agree that you should see the Light & Sound show - cost is about US$20.

If you'd prefer a guide and driver, you can arrange with your hotel. This should not be expensive (can't tall you exact price, but relatively cheap). But do be sure the price is confirmed so there is no last minute bargaining at the end of your time with the guide. Reputable guides/drivers know how to get places quickly and seem to be able to get to the front of long lines. But it's your choice.

Sorry, I cannot recommend hotels, but I'm sure if you do a Google search for "hotels in Cairo" you'll find plenty of sites. Then some other poster here might have suggestions. As to restaurants, since we only had to make arrangements for three dinners while in Cairo and since we were exhausted at the end of each day, we ate at out hotels, which had a good selection of restaurants from which to choose. But even these meals weren't expensive. Maybe $15-$20/person with a drink or wine.

Hope this help. I'm certain you will enjoy Cairo.

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 03:16 AM

The Nile Hilton is about one block from the National Museum (one of the top five things to see); the Intercontinental Semirames Hotel is also close; both are located on the Cornish, which runs along the Nile River. They may not be in your price range, but you will save on transportation costs. From either hotel, you could also walk across the bridge to the Cairo Tower, which offers great views of the entire city (when it's not shrouded in smog.) Someone recommended the Saqqara pyramid; I'd recommend a "pyramids tour" instead, which includes the The Bent Pyramid and the Red Pyramid, as well as Saqqara.